[comp.sys.amiga] GNU CC

rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) (06/15/88)

Does anyone have the source code for the GNU CC compiler and has it been ported
to the Amiga computer?

-- Scotte Zinn

rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu or watmath!dahlia!rszinn

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (06/16/88)

In article <7375@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) writes:
>Does anyone have the source code for the GNU CC compiler and has it been ported
>to the Amiga computer?

We have the source locally (here at waterloo) on watcgl for the latest
version of the GNU CC. I don't think it will be ported to the amiga ever
until amigas come standard with several meg of memory because of the way
gnu cc does it's memory management. We (me and a friend of mine) ported the
GNU CPP to the amiga, and it is very large and memory 'wasting'. We never
bothered with the compiler itself.

	fred

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (06/17/88)

In article <7375@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) writes:

> Does anyone have the source code for the GNU CC compiler and has it been ported
> to the Amiga computer?

	I have GCC itself running on the Amiga.  Working on converting
	their version of "ld" so that it produces Amiga hunk format.
	The part of the port I probably will not do is a set of
	Unix compatible libraries.  Perhaps some folks on the net can
	get together and build some nice Berkeley compatible libraries..

> -- Scotte Zinn
>
> rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu or watmath!dahlia!rszinn

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (03/13/89)

Has anyone ported GCC/GAS to the Amiga ?

			or

Has anyone ported GCC/GAS as a cross-compiler for the Amiga ?

		vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (03/15/89)

In article <1544@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>Has anyone ported GCC/GAS to the Amiga ?

Unlikely.  It's too big.

>Has anyone ported GCC/GAS as a cross-compiler for the Amiga ?

Someone at C-A was looking a porting it to run on the Amiga UNIX
box.  When and if, I hope it will be released to the rest of us;
I, for one, have a Unix box I could use for cross-compilations.
Perhaps if we all get together and plead, it will happen....
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (03/16/89)

From greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel):
> In article <1544@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>>Has anyone ported GCC/GAS to the Amiga ?
>
> Unlikely.  It's too big.

Come on now, what a silly statement.  GCC has been ported to the Atari ST
under both the TOS and Minix operating systems.  It apparently works on
1 Meg machines and works _well_ on 1.5+ Meg machines.  If THEY have
GCC there is no reason WE can't have GCC (don't ask me; I am busy!).

Now GnuEmacs, on the other hand, might just be "too big" for most Amigas...
--
--

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/16/89)

In article <9718@megaron.arizona.edu> cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
>From greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel):
>> In article <1544@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>>>Has anyone ported GCC/GAS to the Amiga ?

William Loftus posted this about a month ago:

<> From elroy!ames!ncar!gatech!udel!burdvax!huey!wpl Thu Feb 23 22:15:21 PST 1989
<>
<> --------------------------------------------------------------------
<> Comming soon --- GNU SED, GAWK, GhostScript, and GNU CCP.
<>
<> Hopefully as GCC and G++ settle down from their beta test periods
<> ports of them will be made.  Also, there are many other small GNU
<> products that I hope to get ported.
<>
<>
--
                  ``Quick Robin !  The Bat-Listings !''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/21/89)

In article <9718@megaron.arizona.edu>, cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
> From greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel):
> > In article <1544@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
> >>Has anyone ported GCC/GAS to the Amiga ?
> > Unlikely.  It's too big.
> >
> Come on now, what a silly statement.  GCC has been ported to the Atari ST
> under both the TOS and Minix operating systems.  It apparently works on

GCC is indead BIG. the text/data alone is > 512 KB.  When its running
it wants BSS of .25 to .5 mega byte also.  I can run it under MINIX and
TOS only because I have 2.5 MEG available.   It only a toy on 1 MEG.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com