[comp.sys.amiga] STEVIE gurus a lot

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/19/89)

I wouldn't recommend downloading the latest STEVIE posting. I tried
running it on stevie.doc, it locked up. I tried aboretcommand on it and
my machine gurued all the way to kickstart! In other words, not even
CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA would reboot my machine. Ugh. I ran it with no
arguments, it ran fine. I typed RUN STEVIE, and it Gurued.

I have an Amiga 1000 with 512K, 290 of it free at the time. Increasing the
stack size to 20000 had no effect.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (03/20/89)

In article <11293@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>I wouldn't recommend downloading the latest STEVIE posting. I tried
>running it on stevie.doc, it locked up.
>
>I have an Amiga 1000 with 512K, 290 of it free at the time. Increasing the
>stack size to 20000 had no effect.

Funny. I downloaded it and it's the same as the version I've been using since
I sent it to comp.binaries.amiga. I've been using it with no gurus...
I typically use a stack size of 50000, but I tried it with a
stack size of 20000 and it still worked (no guru's). Could you
a) try resizing the window that stevie is running in when your Amiga locks-up
b) send me a few more details ('it locks up' is rather hard to debug :-(
   like: workbench/kickstart versions, what's in your startup-sequence, etc

	fred

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/21/89)

In article <24368@watmath.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
>In article <11293@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>running it on stevie.doc, it locked up.
>
>Funny. I downloaded it and it's the same as the version I've been using since
>I sent it to comp.binaries.amiga. I've been using it with no gurus...
>	fred

I get the same bad results when I 'Run' stevie as Sean Casey did.  However,
Arun (arp stuff) seems to launch Stevie ok, but then I can't get it to read
EXINIT environment variables. I have no problem reading EXINIT when stevie is
not launched as a separate task.

Stevie soaks up about 200k when empty :^( , but lots of stuff seems to
actually work right. Also, making it resident seems to work ok as long
as I don't try to 'run' it.

Thanks - it looks like vi's almost here. (how about the neat stuff
next - Arexx, mouse interface, etc.)

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
 {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent