[comp.sys.amiga] IFF sample for DisplayBeep

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (03/21/89)

In article <1376@wasatch.UUCP> u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) writes:
 >In article <9526@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> richarr@nikola.UUCP (Robert Steven Richardson) writes:
 >>A system beep() function.  Any program calls this function, and all it
 >>does is play an IFF sample file stored in SYS:s/beep-sample.

 >>The volume of the beep could be adjusted in preferences, as well as
 >>the default filename.  To conserve space on the workbench disk, the
 >>"factory shipped sample" could be a simple sawtooth wave of a short
 >>duration.  An ambitious user could change the beep-sample file with
 >>whatever they want to customize the machine.  This can already be done,
 >>by the way, on the MacInTrash.  So why can't we?

 >>Thanks,
 >>Bob Richardson
 >>richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu

 >This can be done quite easily at the cost of replacing the DisplayBeep()
 >function by replacing the pointer with one to your own sound routine.
 >(What was the name of that function to replace system stuff?)

SetFunction().

 >You could even go so far as to use the screen pointer passed in, read the
 >title for that screen and use the Narrator.device to tell you which screen
 >got the beep message. :^)  "VEE TEE ONE ZERO ZERO SPAM SPAM" = mail arriving.

Sick thought.  :-)

 >Since there's only the one parameter, you would have to make the volume and
 >sound file name be startup options, or reconfigurable like DMouse.
 >You would have to check to see if all of the sound channels are already
 >allocated, make the code reentrant, and all that other standard stuff.

Mmm.  Never looked too closely at the audio.device, but it doubt it's
too hard...

 >Does anyone out there familiar with sound files and self-detaching code
 >wanna bless us with this one?  If you know the right things, it sounds like
 >about a 30 minute project.  (It would take weeks of research for me).

I'm not really familiar with sound files.  Self-detaching code I can
handle.  Maybe an hour project.  *Maybe* I'll give it a try.  :-)

Anyone care to send me an IFF sample of that "I'm sorry Dave, I can't
do that..." HAL 9000 sample that's so prevalent on Macs?

 >Better yet, has anyone already done this?

No clue.

Deven
--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu          2346 15th Street            Pi-Rho America

A while ago...

Larry Phillips sent me a program called "setbeep" that does a decent job
of replacing DisplayBeep, though it steals a sound channel for as long as
it's running. If no-one objects I'll ask Larry for permission to publish
it.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`