[comp.sys.amiga] guru errors, bombs, lockups

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/20/89)

In article <MY8gely00Uka04iG8m@andrew.cmu.edu>, bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
> ...; I get just as pissed when a machine shows "cute little
> bombs."  When a computer gets to this point, slick visual design is
> pretty irrelevant.  How is the phrase "guru meditation" offensive, anyway?

The phrase "guru meditation" is offensive because it is arcane and, well,
guru-ish.  I would prefer something like "System Crashed." and a little help
beyond the guru number (GOMF sort of does this), saying "The program that
caused the crashed was probably xxx" and an explanation of what went wrong,
to the degree possible, like "memory free list was corrupted," etc.

The Guru is certainly better for debugging than a silent lockup, a la most
crashes under DOS.  Crashes are something Mac people (and PC people who are
heavily into TSR programs, etc) have just had to learn to live with, and
it's something they don't much want to talk about, even while they're
badmouthing the Amiga for the way it handles crashes.

An MMU is ultimately the answer; Hackercorp's Unix systems stay up for weeks
at a time, even when we write and run buggy code that would crash an
unprotected system.  Plus, debugging and getting going again after a trap
is a lot easier -- no need to reboot, plus Unix sdb can be used on core dumps.

Unfortunately, Commodore's apparently not going to do any sort of MMU version
of AmigaDOS, which is a pity because there is a lot of stuff you can do with
the Amiga exec that you can't do with Unix.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
--		     |				-- Ford Prefect

In article <3650@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>The phrase "guru meditation" is offensive because it is arcane and, well,
>guru-ish.  I would prefer something like "System Crashed."

	Wrong.  "System Crashed" implies that the OS just died.  People will
then be inclined to blame the OS (read: Commodore) for being unreliable.
"Application Failed" would be better.

>and a little help
>beyond the guru number (GOMF sort of does this), saying "The program that
>caused the crashed was probably xxx" and an explanation of what went wrong,
>to the degree possible, like "memory free list was corrupted," etc.

	Nice, but there's no room in the ROM for it.

>Unfortunately, Commodore's apparently not going to do any sort of MMU version
>of AmigaDOS, [ ... ]

	Based on the rumblings I've seen on BIX, you may be pleasantly
surprised.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac