[comp.sys.amiga] Fractals on the Amiga ...

CARROROB@UREGINA1.BITNET (Robert Carroll) (03/19/89)

This is my first posting to this conference.  If I accidentally break
any rules, please don't yell, just let me know! :^).

What I need is some information about programs for the amiga that demonstrate
fractal geometry.  I can't seem to locate any programs or demos that use
fractals to generate graphics.  Also, if there is any information out there
on fractal geometry, please send me it, or tell me where I can get a copy
for myself.

This is for a math paper :^\, so any help or information would be GREATLY
appreciated.  Thanx.

                                     - Robert Carroll

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (03/21/89)

In article <8903182009.AA00626@jade.berkeley.edu> CARROROB@UREGINA1.BITNET (Robert Carroll) writes:
>This is my first posting to this conference.  If I accidentally break
>any rules, please don't yell, just let me know! :^).
>
>What I need is some information about programs for the amiga that demonstrate
>fractal geometry.  I can't seem to locate any programs or demos that use
>fractals to generate graphics.  Also, if there is any information out there
>on fractal geometry, please send me it, or tell me where I can get a copy
>for myself.
>
>This is for a math paper :^\, so any help or information would be GREATLY
>appreciated.  Thanx.
>
>                                     - Robert Carroll

Robert,
  There are a number of Mandelbrot programs available on the Amiga.  The first
was by Robert French.  It can be found on one of the first 20 Fish Disks.
A number of other Mandelbrot programs have become available since then.
My Mandelbrot program named MandelVroom is available on Fish Disk 128.
The source and executable are both available on that disk.

  There are a number of fractal terrain generators available on the Fish
too.  Also there was really neat program called FractGen released by Fred
recently (e.g. Fish Disk 173-present)

  I hope to be releasing a new version of MandelVroom VERY soon with
many new features:

  multiple picture windows open and generating simultaneously
  picture recoloration while picture is generating
  Julia curve support
  256 contours
  color cycling
  halfbrite support
  workbench or cli
  PAL system support
  orbits
  and many other whizzy things...

  As soon as I get out of beta test, I'll be sending the whole thing to
Bob Page (source and all.)  Actually since Bob is moving out here to
Silicon Valley, I'll probably just give it to him on floppy at a BADGE
meeting.

  I'm also working on a HAM 3D fractal display.  Too many projects,
too little time.

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/22/89)

In article <8903182009.AA00626@jade.berkeley.edu> CARROROB@UREGINA1.BITNET (Robert Carroll) writes:
+----------
|This is my first posting to this conference.  If I accidentally break
|any rules, please don't yell, just let me know! :^).
|
|What I need is some information about programs for the amiga that demonstrate
|fractal geometry.  I can't seem to locate any programs or demos that use
|fractals to generate graphics.  Also, if there is any information out there
|on fractal geometry, please send me it, or tell me where I can get a copy
|for myself.
|
|This is for a math paper :^\, so any help or information would be GREATLY
|appreciated.  Thanx.
|
|                                     - Robert Carroll
+----------

	Check out "Exploring the Geometry of Nature", by Edward Rietman.
	Subtitled "Computer Modelling of Chaos, Fractals, Cellular
	Automata and Neural Networks", it is published in paperback
	(C) 1989 by Windcrest (a division of TAB Books).

	If you can think of BASIC as a protoyping language then the
	many examples in the book will be quite useful to you, I
	think. There is also a decent bibliography as well as the
	math & algorithms which are well-explained for the most part.

Para alt Rissa Libre,
--
O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
  o  _///_ //	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu