[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive Controller Cards

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (03/19/89)

Is it true that Commodore's hard drive controller will be required
to run AMIX (a la the 2500UX?)  Are any aftermarket cards going to
be compatible?

Anybody have any comments on the Trump card?  It has a very attractive
price, but appears not to be a DMA controller.  If anyone has ANY info.
on it, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov / ames!eos!phil)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/20/89)

In article <2941@eos.UUCP> phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) writes:

> Is it true that Commodore's hard drive controller will be required
> to run AMIX (a la the 2500UX?)  Are any aftermarket cards going to
> be compatible?

As of two days ago, it was the A2090A or nothing.  ...but Friday GVP
announced that they are planning on their 68030 card to work with the
AMIX software.  They didn't mention if they'd be licencing AMIX or
anything about the details, but they seemed committed.

--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (03/22/89)

In article <2941@eos.UUCP> phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) writes:

[ some stuph herein NOT included for Pnews's sake]

>Anybody have any comments on the Trump card?  It has a very attractive
>price, but appears not to be a DMA controller.  If anyone has ANY info.
>on it, I would appreciate hearing about it.
>
>Thanks,
>		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov / ames!eos!phil)

     Phil,
At the store where I work, we sell IVS Trumpcards.  The Trumpcard is non-
DMA, yes, but very fast and a good controller.  We get typical
diskperfs (using DISKPERFA v 1.9, dated Feb 12 1989) ov over 400K reads
and over 271K writes, using a Seagate ST138N 32 meg drive at 69% full.
What this all means is that it's FAST.  The installation software has to be
seen to be believed, it is very easy to use and fully automated, using
the metaphor of an onscreen checklist to complete installation,
formatting, and installing of software on the drive (WB, natch).

The software has some of the most extensive drive testing I've ever
seen (8 types of checking, both read AND write).  About the only thing
that it does NOT do currently is autoboot off of an FFS partition
(the ROM version 1.5 can't).  But this also provides a benefit,
in the form of this:  If you boot your 2000 or 2500 while holding down
the left mouse button, the IVS ROM will attach the hard drive to the system,
BUT REMOVE THE AUTOBOOT PART>  Meaning, the system won't boot from the hard
drive.  How can this be advantageous?  Simple: You have a copy-protected
game (say F-18 unfixed, Dungeon Master, any of the Bard's Tale series,etc.)
.   You'd like to use the hard drive with the game to save on, but
you can't install the HD drivers on the disk to bring up the drive,
and you MUST boot off the game disk.  Hold down the left mouse
button, and the system will boot from the game disk, BUT THE
IVS DRIVE WILL BE USABLE!  *NICE* feature..... and not one on anyone
else's HD controller, to the best of my knowledge...

That's why the boot partition on the IVS drive is OldFS, to take advantage
of that situation.  THe boot partition is small, on the ST138N it's
only 16 cyls of the drive.

I have no connection with IVS other than that I sell their HD controllers..
Every one we've sold has worked perfectly from day one, and I have
many satisfied customers.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0