[comp.sys.amiga] RexxArpLib and friends

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/07/89)

In article <45580@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>These things sound super!  Where can I find out more about them?  How
>can I obtain them?  (I own ARexx v1.04.)
They are super. They are wonderful. Anybody out there who has Arexx and
who doesn't have these libraries is really missing out on a Good Thing.
Since they did come across on the Bob Page version of comp.sources.amiga
you can doubtless find them at swan.ulowell.edu, which is right up
in sdl's neck of the woods.
   I keep dreaming that 1.4 will see the disappearance of AmigaBasic
(crudware) and its replacement with Arexx, somehow. Dream on, dream on ...
   Can anyone verify my gut impression that amigabasic is unchanged from
1.1 days (i.e. the binaries compare? Hmm, guess I will have to bring
'cmp' over and try this out.)
ron

In <6839@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
 >In article <45580@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
 >>These things sound super!  Where can I find out more about them?  How
 >>can I obtain them?  (I own ARexx v1.04.)

 >They are super. They are wonderful. Anybody out there who has Arexx and
 >who doesn't have these libraries is really missing out on a Good Thing.
 >Since they did come across on the Bob Page version of comp.sources.amiga
 >you can doubtless find them at swan.ulowell.edu, which is right up
 >in sdl's neck of the woods.
 >   I keep dreaming that 1.4 will see the disappearance of AmigaBasic
 >(crudware) and its replacement with Arexx, somehow. Dream on, dream on ...
 >   Can anyone verify my gut impression that amigabasic is unchanged from
 >1.1 days (i.e. the binaries compare? Hmm, guess I will have to bring
 >'cmp' over and try this out.)

I agree wholeheartedly about ARexx, though i think perhaps there are enough
Basic programmers out there who would be comfortable with a good implementation
of Basic. Certainly Microsloth's pitiful contribution doesn't fit the bill.

I have just been playing with a new basic compiler from Michtron, called
"HiSoft BASIC Professional", and find it amazingly good. I am not a fan of
Basic in general, but this package is very nice. My first test was, what else,
'Hello world', which compiled to a surprisingly small 9276 bytes (not far from
the early Lattice 'hello world' using puts(), and about 5K smaller than the
early Lattice one using printf(). 'hello world' compiles in 3.56 seconds for
the standalone run time code, 2.8 seconds for the 'library' option, which
requires the 'hisoftbasic.library' to run. When compiled to use the library,
the code size is 404 bytes.

I haven't used the 'integrated editor, error, run' facilities at all (I have my
own favourite editor) yet, but it is simplicity itself to use from the CLI. You
can produce, as I mentioned above, code dependent on the library (46K or so for
the library), standalone executable, and you can even produce 'linkable code'
for combining your Basic program with C or assembler. The calling conventions
are the same as for C.

Quite a nice package. If you like Basic, or know anyone who does, check this
one out.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (03/14/89)

In <6839@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>  >They are super. They are wonderful. Anybody out there who has Arexx and
>  >who doesn't have these libraries is really missing out on a Good Thing.
>  >Since they did come across on the Bob Page version of comp.sources.amiga
>  >you can doubtless find them at swan.ulowell.edu, which is right up
>  >in sdl's neck of the woods.

Well, I managed to find rexxarplib and download it from there.
However, some of the Rexx code files that come with it reference
another library -- rexxmathlib.library -- which I don't have, and
which I can't find at swan.ulowell.edu

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of rexxmathlib.library?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (03/16/89)

In article <46324@linus.UUCP>, sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

> Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of rexxmathlib.library?

       I'm not 100% positive on this, but I thought rexxmathlib.library
as well as a pre-2.0 version of rexxarplib.library, was shipped with version
1.06 of AREXX. In fact, I seem to recall that the source to
rexxmathlib.library is included too, as an example of how to write an
AREXX library. So check out your distribution disks. If it's not there, I
know that it is always on the VLT distribution disk.

> Steven Litvintchouk

    Jim

--

                               Jim Crotinger
                               crotinger%mit.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (03/17/89)

)which I can't find at swan.ulowell.edu
)
)Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of rexxmathlib.library?

rexxmathlib was on my Rexx distribution disk, version x.06.  Look hard,
though.  Its under :tools/rexxmathlib or somesuch (with source I think).
Maybe you just need to upgrade.  Alternatively it and its bii cousin are part
of the VLT distribution, submitted by me to comp.binaries.amiga and also
available even as we speak by anonymous ftp from gtss.gatech.edu [128.61.4.1].

That it's not in rexxarplib surprises me.  I believe it a product of the
same people.  An oversight perhaps?...
--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

sutela@tucos.UUCP (Kari Sutela) (03/17/89)

In article <46324@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>Well, I managed to find rexxarplib and download it from there.
>However, some of the Rexx code files that come with it reference
>another library -- rexxmathlib.library -- which I don't have, and
>which I can't find at swan.ulowell.edu
>
>Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of rexxmathlib.library?

When I purchased ARexx (version 1.06), rexxmathlib came on the distribution
disk. If I remember correctly, it was in the Tools-subdirectory. Check your
distribution disk or contact Bill Hawes for an update (it was made by someone
else, though, so it might be available by FTP somewhere).

- Kari Sutela 	sutela@tucos.cs.utu.fi

ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) (03/21/89)

Has anyone gotten the 'getenv' RexxArpLib function working?  I haven't.

phil kasten
at&t bell labs
!att!mvuxi!ksp

sutela@tucos.UUCP (Kari Sutela) (03/22/89)

In article <1507@anuck.UUCP> ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) writes:

>Has anyone gotten the 'getenv' RexxArpLib function working?  I haven't.

Well, I myself have never gotten a single RexxArpLib function working. I DO
load the libs with the supplied LoadRexxLib.rexx-program but whenever I try
to access any function in RexxArpLib, I get error message "12: error return
from function".

I have had similar problems with RexxMathLib, but sometimes I have managed
to use its functions. Even more strange was that after I remlibbed the
rexxmathlib.library, I tried to use some of its functions (and of course
expected "Function not found"-message) I received the same error message
"12: error return from function"?????

To sum it up, I have never managed to use rexxarplib (and rexxmathlib works
only occasionally). Now I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong? I'm using ARexx
version 1.06 and WShell version 1.05, so at least the supplied fastmenu.rexx
should work properly after addlibbing these libraries, but I always get the
same error message? Might this be a bug in ARexx or rexxarplib? Is there a
specific order that I should use to addlib these libraries (usually I addlib
rexxsupport.library on startup)?

- Kari Sutela 	sutela@tucos.cs.utu.fi 	OR 	lk-kari@fintuvm.BITNET

jw@sics.se (Johan Widen) (03/22/89)

>Well, I myself have never gotten a single RexxArpLib function working. I DO
>load the libs with the supplied LoadRexxLib.rexx-program but whenever I try
>to access any function in RexxArpLib, I get error message "12: error return
>from function".

You must also install the library
	screenshare.library
rexxarplib depends on this. You can find screenshare.library in
	tools/rexxarplib
or some such, in the arexx disk.
--
Johan Widen