[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA 500 PROBLEM

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (12/21/87)

||   Paul Brody        //	The above is in no way meant to imply the    ||
||   pbrody@udenva  \\//	opinions of the University of Denver 	     ||

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (12/21/87)

  My brother is getting an Amiga500 for Christmas, and when it arrived a couple
  of days ago I took it out and put it through it's paces to see if it was
  working. First, kudos to C= for an excellent job! Everything seems to work,
  and considering the price, the built in keyboard is very good.

  However, when using the 501 expansion, I ran Textcraft and Online!
  simultaneously. Something very strange happened: there were no Icons
  visible for Textcraft. When switching screens I could not see the pencil
  icon, after I had clicked the Textcraft screen, but I could move the mouse
  around and make the pull down menus work, even though no mouse icon was
  visible.

  Any theories ?

||   Paul Brody        //	The above is in no way meant to imply the    ||
||   pbrody@udenva  \\//	opinions of the University of Denver 	     ||

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (12/21/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <9633@udenva.cair.du.edu> news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:

>   My brother is getting an Amiga500 for Christmas, and when it arrived a couple
>   of days ago I took it out and put it through it's paces to see if it was
>   working. First, kudos to C= for an excellent job! Everything seems to work,
>   and considering the price, the built in keyboard is very good.
>
>   However, when using the 501 expansion, I ran Textcraft and Online!
>   simultaneously. Something very strange happened: there were no Icons
>   visible for Textcraft. When switching screens I could not see the pencil
>   icon, after I had clicked the Textcraft screen, but I could move the mouse
>   around and make the pull down menus work, even though no mouse icon was
>   visible.
>
>   Any theories ?

This is a well known problem of Textcraft.  Textcraft was an early
product that was never designed to work well with expansion memory.  I
used to have to disable expansion RAM on my A1000 to get Textcraft to
work.  Until Textcraft Plus became available, there were no upgrades
or bug fixes ever issued for Textcraft.

Actually, I'm surprised that anyone is still using Textcraft.  There
are much better word processors available for the Amiga; Abel Supply
sells ProWrite for $73 (I think).  Since I'm not sure if Textcraft is
even supported anymore (anyone know?), you should either get Textcraft
Plus, or some other word processor entirely.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

campbell@cbmvax.UUCP (John Campbell SW) (12/22/87)

When trying to use Textcraft with Workbench 1.2, I suggest using
NoFastMem.  This may alleviate your problem.

John Campbell

jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Chuck Kesler) (12/29/87)

In article <20118@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>In article <9633@udenva.cair.du.edu> news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
>>   However, when using the 501 expansion, I ran Textcraft and Online!
>>   simultaneously. Something very strange happened: there were no Icons
>>   visible for Textcraft. When switching screens I could not see the pencil
>>   icon, after I had clicked the Textcraft screen, but I could move the mouse
>>   around and make the pull down menus work, even though no mouse icon was
>>   visible.
>>   Any theories ?
>This is a well known problem of Textcraft.  Textcraft was an early
>product that was never designed to work well with expansion memory.  I
>used to have to disable expansion RAM on my A1000 to get Textcraft to
>work.  Until Textcraft Plus became available, there were no upgrades
>or bug fixes ever issued for Textcraft.

Neither disabling expansion memory nor even getting TextCraft Plus
would be the simplest/quickest/best solution to this problem, in my
opinion.  I, too, was in the same situation after adding 2 meg of
fast mem to my A1000, but I had no desire/money to purchase a new
word processor (don't do a lot of word processing to begin with,
so TextCraft is fine).  Here is my solution:

	1) Get the program FixHunk from Fish Disk #36.
	   This utility does something along the lines of
	   modifying brain dead executables in such a way that
	   data structures which need to be in CHIP ram are
	   loaded there instead of FAST ram-- the crux of this
	   problem involves data structures describing icons
	   and such being loaded into fast (expansion) mem.
	   Read the doc file included with FixHunk for a complete
	   description of what this program does.
	2) COPY the TextCraft executable (TextCraft or TextCraft512,
	   whichever you prefer) to a new file.  For bext results,
	   place this new file on your ram disk.
	3) Run FixHunk on the copy of the TextCraft executable, and
	   BOOM! you have an executable which should work just fine.
	4) Try running the FixHunked executable.  If it performs to
	   your satisfaction, replace to original copy of TextCraft
	   with the modified version.

You might run across this problem with other programs, so FixHunk is
is a very useful utility.  I have yet to find a program which could
not be repaired using this method, which is not saying that this will
*always* solve your problem, but at least it seems to take care of
*most* problems.  And it is definitely preferable to all this
"NoFastMemFirstSlowMemLast" business.

Hope this helps!

-chuck    jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  -or-  chuck@ncsuvm.BITNET

p.s.  If you can't find a copy of FixHunk, let me know, and I will
      E-mail a copy to you.

cgiufur@pica.army.mil (FSA) (03/22/89)

Gentlemen;

     In the past my Amiga 500 has been occasionally rebooting.  I have been
living with the problem and in fact it wasn't rebooting as often.  This
weekend it shut down but did not come back on.  The only sign of life was
the caps lock light was on.  After a while I was able to get the system back
up to where it asks for the workbench disk.  I put the game disk in I was
playing at the time and everything appeared okay.  Ten minutes later the
same thing happened, but this time it was difficult to get the system up.
When I finally got the hand on the screen asking for workbench the picture
was distorted.  Nothing I did solved the problem so I turn the machine off
until Monday to see if cooling down over night would make a difference, but
it didn't.

     I have been reading mail on problems like this and I thought the rebooting
was caused by a faulty pwer supply.  Now that the machine is not responding
at all I am not sure it is just the power supply.  If anyone has any helpful
advice I would appreciate hearing from you. Contact me at 201-724-3876 or
email cgiufur@ARDEC.ARPA.

                                                Charlie Giufurta