[comp.sys.amiga] disappearing drawers

rosenblg@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum) (03/04/89)

[I'm posting this for the person addressed on the bottom,
send all comments to him]

TITLE: disappearing drawers

Hi,
  I crashed out an Amiga here.  I tried to do a clean up on
a workbench window by selecting every drawer in it, then
selecting "cleanup" from the workbench menu.
  What happened: one by one the drawers disappeared!  I started
a CLI and found that neither the "name.info" nor "name (dir)"
were present.  Directories which did not have icons were
still present.  This all happened under WorkB 1.2.  This
happened in the root directory of the primary hard disk.
  I tried diskdoctor to no avail.  I tried "copy all dh0: dh1:"
and saw the names of the unreachable files listed as copied, and
the missing directories listed as created.  Unfortunately, neither
the files nor directories could be found on the hard disk.
  What to do?  Surely other folks must have found themselves in
this situation?  Will the diskdoctor from 1.3 deal with this?
Will diskdoctor 1.3 deal with 1.2 disks at all?
  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I guess it's time to
install 1.3!

Carl
haverl@acf9.nyu.edu

scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) (03/05/89)

From article <899@acf3.NYU.EDU>, by rosenblg@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum):

> [I'm posting this for the person addressed on the bottom,
> send all comments to him]
>
> TITLE: disappearing drawers
>
>   What happened: one by one the drawers disappeared!  I started
> a CLI and found that neither the "name.info" nor "name (dir)"
> were present.  Directories which did not have icons were
> still present.  This all happened under WorkB 1.2.  This
>   Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I guess it's time to
> install 1.3!

I had something similar happen to me (I am/was running 1.3 w/FFS on my HD).
I was just lining up my directory/folder icons (so that they would be nice
and pretty), when they started all disappearing! (all but the first one
selected, that is). Being somewhat handier with the CLI/shell than with
the workbench, I started looking around. I found that all of the folders
after the first were now sub-directories! Easy enough to fix, but I am now
rather paranoid about having more than one (unopened) folder selected at
one time.

At a recent FAUG meeting, there was some discussion about this, and it has
been reported to CBM as a bug. Apparently, I was one of the luckier ones,
as all of my directories and files were just "missing, not lost".

Also, the latest version of DiskSalv (1.32) can be used as an undelete on
a hard disk. If you have more than one partition, and the other has a lot
of free space, you can can save to a directory on the other partition, and
with ASK mode, it only writes the files you want to to the output path. It can
be a bit slow on a large partition, but any undelete is better than none!

--
---------------------
              Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>

In article <27973@sgi.SGI.COM> scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) writes:
>I had something similar happen to me (I am/was running 1.3 w/FFS on my HD).
>I was just lining up my directory/folder icons (so that they would be nice
>and pretty), when they started all disappearing! (all but the first one
>selected, that is). Being somewhat handier with the CLI/shell than with
>the workbench, I started looking around. I found that all of the folders
>after the first were now sub-directories! Easy enough to fix, but I am now
>rather paranoid about having more than one (unopened) folder selected at
>one time.
>
>At a recent FAUG meeting, there was some discussion about this, and it has
>been reported to CBM as a bug. Apparently, I was one of the luckier ones,
>as all of my directories and files were just "missing, not lost".

	This sounds a lot like the Omega FFS bug.  At some point during the
Gammas or Omegas, FFS was changed to require entries to be in a specific
order within a hash chain.  Using release FFS (without reformatting and
restoring all the files) could cause files to "disappear", while still be
accessable by name (list/dir wouldn't show them, but you could copy them,
CD to them, etc).  So if you set up your FFS partitions under a non-release
FFS, or worse yet are using a non-release FFS, backup, format, and restore!

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) (03/23/89)

In article <27973@sgi.SGI.COM> scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) writes:
>From article <899@acf3.NYU.EDU>, by rosenblg@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum):
>>
>> TITLE: disappearing drawers
>>
>>   What happened: one by one the drawers disappeared!  I started
>> a CLI and found that neither the "name.info" nor "name (dir)"
>> were present.  Directories which did not have icons were
>> still present.  This all happened under WorkB 1.2.
>
>I had something similar happen to me (I am/was running 1.3 w/FFS on my HD).
>I was just lining up my directory/folder icons (so that they would be nice
>and pretty), when they started all disappearing! (all but the first one
>selected, that is). Being somewhat handier with the CLI/shell than with
>the workbench, I started looking around. I found that all of the folders
>after the first were now sub-directories!...
>
>> Carl
>> haverl@acf9.nyu.edu
>--
>---------------------
>              Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>
>#include <std_disclaimer.h>

	Some days ago, I also had similar experience. I was
repositioning icons in WorkBench window, dragged the "expansion-drawer"
icon to a new place, released mouse button... disk activated, and the
icon disappeared! After counting to ten, or more, I started desperate
search for this drawer. Using CLI-command "which" (I am running
Kickstart/WB 1.3 in A1000) I found the missing dirs and files inside
"utilities"-directory in a subdir "expansion". After dragging the icon
back on WB-window, I tried again... With same results.
	After some trial-and-error testing I was rather convinced that
Intuition somehow decides that I really wanted to put this icon on
top of another, as to move "expansion" into "utilities". Maybe it
happens when the two icons have as little as one pixel line on same
position. At least it was a matter of one pixel to the left or right.
I was unable to verify this, because both icons are "alternate-image"
i.e. two icons merged together, and their whole size isn't visible as in
ordinary icons (inverted bitplanes, when activated).

	Anyway, you can avoid this accident by positioning icons far
enough from each other, or keeping write-protect tab open in your disk.
(How do you write-protect hard disk? Is there any hardware lock?)

I hope this is of some help...

-toweri
--
= VOICE: + 358 0 571789              || Any opinions expressed contain        =
= EMAIL: toweri@clinet.UUCP          ||     * The Absolute Truth *            =