[comp.sys.amiga] Professional Draw

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (Marc Rifkin) (02/11/89)

Has anyone seen or heard about Gold Disk's Professional Draw?
I am interested in ease of use (drawing with a mouse is hard to begin
with), compatability (can it go to IFF or a CAD?) and outstanding features
(memory requirements, speed, etc.).
Thanks,
-------
Marc Rifkin / R38@PSUVM     /////////////////////////////////////////
101 Beaver Hall             / 'The main drawback of a HD on a 2000  /
University Park, Pa. 16802  / is having to heard the floppies click!/
814-862-6848                /////////////////////////////////////////

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/17/89)

Don't every run out and get Professional Draw so you can get nice
clean high-resolution fonts on your graphics, though; the speed of
Professional Draw's text has to be seen to be believed.  As in, on
my 68020 Hurricane-based Amiga, with plenty of 32-bit RAM, I've
given up on text on Professional Draw . . . but the Gold Disk
people are good people and are hard at work on Professional Draw,
so all may not be lost . . .

(Hey, I'm going to need lots of beautiful, clean, high-resolution
graphics with plenty of labels and the like for my thesis, so
there *will* be a solution at some point . . .)

-tom

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/18/89)

In article <7793@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
->
->Don't every run out and get Professional Draw so you can get nice
->clean high-resolution fonts on your graphics, though; the speed of
->Professional Draw's text has to be seen to be believed.  As in, on
->my 68020 Hurricane-based Amiga, with plenty of 32-bit RAM, I've
->given up on text on Professional Draw . . . but the Gold Disk
->people are good people and are hard at work on Professional Draw,
->so all may not be lost . . .

Tom, you ought to try it on a 68000.  You can take a nap during the time
it takes Professional Draw to write a line of text on the screen.
I hope Gold Disk does something about it SOON, because it is unusable
as it stands.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

doug@homxc.ATT.COM (D.SULPY) (03/18/89)

In article <7793@polya.Stanford.EDU>, rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

 Don't every run out and get Professional Draw so you can get nice
 clean high-resolution fonts on your graphics, though; the speed of
 Professional Draw's text has to be seen to be believed.  As in, on
 my 68020 Hurricane-based Amiga, with plenty of 32-bit RAM, I've
 given up on text on Professional Draw . . . but the Gold Disk
 people are good people and are hard at work on Professional Draw,
 so all may not be lost . . .

 -tom
---------

Tom, can you revise and re-post this so it makes some kind of sense?
I'm interested in this product, and can't tell from your posting whether
you like it or not.

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/22/89)

> > Don't every run out and get Professional Draw so you can get nice
> > clean high-resolution fonts on your graphics, though; the speed of
> Tom, can you revise and re-post this so it makes some kind of sense?
> I'm interested in this product, and can't tell from your posting whether
> you like it or not.

Professional Draw text slow.

Professional Draw text painfully slow.

See Professional Draw draw text.

Wait.

Wait.

Sleep.

Drink Coffee.

See first letter.

-tom "i like prodraw, except for the occasional bugs and the slow text"

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/23/89)

In article <7937@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
[...]

One other thing that I have a problem with Pro Draw text is that they
only supply 2 fonts with it, in their own undocumented format.  I was
upset about this because I have access to a bunch of Adobe and Bitstream
fonts and I would like to use it with Pro Draw.  They either should
provide a utility to convert Adobe fonts to their format, or at
least document their format so I can write mine own conversion program.
Instead, it looks like that they want you to buy fonts only from them.
I think this is poor practice and I encourage people who have Pro Draw
to complain about it as I did.

--

tolly@swan.ulowell.edu (B+H Tolly) (03/23/89)

In article <7793@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

>Don't every run out and get Professional Draw so you can get nice
>clean high-resolution fonts on your graphics, though; the speed of
>Professional Draw's text has to be seen to be believed.

PDraw is slow, but it's the only way to do effects on text right now.
I love being able to rotate text.

>(Hey, I'm going to need lots of beautiful, clean, high-resolution
>graphics with plenty of labels and the like for my thesis, so
>there *will* be a solution at some point . . .)

Syndesis is in beta test with a Pro Draw module for InterFont.  This
will let you import text created in InterFont as Pro Draw clips.
Since you create the InterFonts yourself (from Amiga bitmap fonts,
or anything else you want), you can make them as "hi-res" as
you want. We are looking for beta testers, so if you can devote
some time, give me a call.  Syndesis is at 508-657-5585.

Harriet Maybeck Tolly