[comp.sys.amiga] supra 2400 baud modem

dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) (03/21/89)

I'm interested in buying an external 2400 baud modem for use with
an Amiga 500.  I see ads for a Supra 2400 baud external modem for
$129.95 in magazines.  Does anyone out there have any experience
with this modem?  Is it reliable or is it cheap junk?

Any advice/recommendations with regard to this or other inexpensive
2400 baud modems would be appreciated.
--
	--Dale Nielsen				ARPA:  dale@vicorp.UU.NET
	  V. I. Corporation			UUCP:  uunet!vicorp!dale

hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu (03/21/89)

In article <1896@vicorp.UUCP>, dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) writes...

>I'm interested in buying an external 2400 baud modem for use with
>an Amiga 500.  I see ads for a Supra 2400 baud external modem for
>$129.95 in magazines.  Does anyone out there have any experience
>with this modem?  Is it reliable or is it cheap junk?

   I have had good luck with my Supra 2400, running it 24 hours a day, 7 days
a week on my BBS. It doesn't support error correction or anything, but it is
a good, basic Hayes compatible in a nice compact package. You can't beat it for
the money. I heard someone complain they couldn't connect to Supras. I think
they may have been running a Ven-Tel or Racal-Vadic. I forget which. I haven't
had any complaints on the Quirk (805-967-9357) though.

--
Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager           internet: hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                       BITNET: HBO@SBITP.BITNET

stern@cisunx.UUCP (Eric G Stern) (03/22/89)

In article <1363@hub.ucsb.edu>, hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu writes:
> In article <1896@vicorp.UUCP>, dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) writes...
>
> >I'm interested in buying an external 2400 baud modem for use with
> >an Amiga 500.  I see ads for a Supra 2400 baud external modem for
> >$129.95 in magazines.  Does anyone out there have any experience
> >with this modem?  Is it reliable or is it cheap junk?

I've been using the Supra 2400 baud modem for a while.  The modem
itself seems to work OK, however it has a weird effect on my
system.  I have an Amiga 2000 with a GVP 20MB hard card.  When I
connected the modem, the system hung in boot-up.  It apparently
dies in the startup sequence at the point it executes binddrivers.
Leaving the modem turned off during bootup solves the problem.  The
problem does not occur if I am booting with a floppy only diskette that
doesn't have the drivers for the hard disk.  I don't know what is
going on, but since just turning off the modem before boot solves
the problem, I haven't worried to much about it.

				Eric Stern
				Physics, University of Pittsburgh

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/23/89)

I was really afraid to ask about this, because it seemed freaky to be
true.  It seems that if my modem has CD high the GVP controller won't
boot.  This happens a lot to me because I rely on the fact that my
modem (a cheap VolksModem 1200 that I use when I'm away from my usual
location) will keep a connection even when the Amiga reboots, exits
programs, does just about anything.

I can't think of any reason for the GVP code in Bindrivers to check
the status lines of the serial port.

Any news from GVP?  This is one of those things that I've been meaning
to call GVP about (should have asked them at the JAUG meeting) but
it's not on my priority list :^).

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389