[comp.sys.amiga] HP PaintJet, maximum resolution printing

svermeulen@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA (Steve Vermeulen) (03/23/89)

| From:   Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@super.org>
|
| In article <94598@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
| >In article <7203@super.ORG> (Ronald G Minnich) replies:
| >Not true Ron. While it is true that Dpaint is a raster painter (much
| >like MacPaint in concept) there many simple ways to get acceptable
| >output from it. One is to use a larger image. When I am producing
| >something for printed output, I usually run DPaint with a 640 X 830
| >image (for 8 1/2 X 11 printouts) in monochrome or 4 colors. (Since
| >in 144 dpi mode you can get a nice 2X2 dither for four shades of grey)
| But but but ... the amiga is a color machine. So, i have this nice
| color machine, i drop the money on my nice hp paintjet, and ...
| you tell me that i can get output if i use 4 colors or monochrome?
| On my eight-color-at-180dpi paintjet? Toss away half my colors?
|    All I really would like is color output as clean as AmigaTeX's
| monochrome output. Yeah, i know, these things are hard to write.
| But three years later we only have one candidate?

  Get yourself a copy of Express Paint 3.0 (I am assuming that you have
  expansion ram...) and set the virtual page size (the big picture is
  cached in fast ram, allowing us to edit pictures beyond the normal
  chip ram limits) to 1440 pixels wide by 1800 pixels high with 8
  colours.  This will require 972K just for the picture, you should be
  able to do this on a 1.5 Meg Amiga.  With these dimensions you now
  have a setup where one pixel on the screen is exactly one pixel on the
  printer across the full page at 180 DPI.  You will also have to set
  your preferences 1.3 graphic 2 screen's Density setting to 7 to get
  the maximum resolution on your printer.

  Now you will also have to tune the palette so that you are using the
  8 colours that print purely on the printer without the printer.device
  having to do any dithering.  As far as I know doing this will be a
  trial and error process.

  Dave Berizowski (or anyone else who knows printers at Commodore):
  is this indeed true?  If we pick the correct colours will they get
  passed through the printer driver without dithering?  If this is
  indeed the case can the MAGIC COLOURS that do this be documented
  somewhere for each printer?

Stephen Vermeulen
Author: Express Paint and Spritz
Newsletter Editor of AMUC (the AMiga Users of Calgary)
SVermeulen % Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA @ UncaNet.BITnet ...or...
SVermeulen % Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA @ UncaEdu.BITnet

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (03/25/89)

In article <890322095556.041@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA> svermeulen@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA (Steve Vermeulen) writes:
>| From:   Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@super.org>
>|
>| In article <94598@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>| >In article <7203@super.ORG> (Ronald G Minnich) replies:
>| >Not true Ron. While it is true that Dpaint is a raster painter (much
>| >like MacPaint in concept) there many simple ways to get acceptable
>| >output from it. One is to use a larger image. When I am producing
>| >something for printed output, I usually run DPaint with a 640 X 830
>| >image (for 8 1/2 X 11 printouts) in monochrome or 4 colors. (Since
>| >in 144 dpi mode you can get a nice 2X2 dither for four shades of grey)
>| But but but ... the amiga is a color machine. So, i have this nice
>| color machine, i drop the money on my nice hp paintjet, and ...
>| you tell me that i can get output if i use 4 colors or monochrome?
>| On my eight-color-at-180dpi paintjet? Toss away half my colors?
>|    All I really would like is color output as clean as AmigaTeX's
>| monochrome output. Yeah, i know, these things are hard to write.
>| But three years later we only have one candidate?
>
>  Get yourself a copy of Express Paint 3.0 (I am assuming that you have
>  expansion ram...) and set the virtual page size (the big picture is
>  cached in fast ram, allowing us to edit pictures beyond the normal
>  chip ram limits) to 1440 pixels wide by 1800 pixels high with 8
>  colours.  This will require 972K just for the picture, you should be
>  able to do this on a 1.5 Meg Amiga.  With these dimensions you now
>  have a setup where one pixel on the screen is exactly one pixel on the
>  printer across the full page at 180 DPI.  You will also have to set
>  your preferences 1.3 graphic 2 screen's Density setting to 7 to get
>  the maximum resolution on your printer.
>
>  Now you will also have to tune the palette so that you are using the
>  8 colours that print purely on the printer without the printer.device
>  having to do any dithering.  As far as I know doing this will be a
>  trial and error process.
>
>  Dave Berizowski (or anyone else who knows printers at Commodore):
>  is this indeed true?  If we pick the correct colours will they get
>  passed through the printer driver without dithering?  If this is
>  indeed the case can the MAGIC COLOURS that do this be documented
>  somewhere for each printer?

	This indeed the case, although the MAGIC COLORS are the same for
every color printer.  Essentially the magic colors are red (f00),
green (0f0), blue (00f), yellow (ff0), magenta (f0f), cyan (0ff),
white (fff), and black (000).  There really is nothing MAGIC about these
colors, they are simple the primary colors and their combinations.