From @RELAY.CS.NET:IAS2033@draper.com Mon Mar 20 10:50:57 1989
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 89 09:17 EST
From: "Ike Stoddard, x3882, rm4421C" <IAS2033@draper.com>
Subject: Survey of Kickstart Eliminator/expansion problems (=few)

My thanks to the repliers.  The substance of the replies is as follows,
provided in their own words since there are so few:

My original posting:
)In article <7687@louie.udel.EDU>:
)Date Posted: 31-JAN-1989 14:10
)Subj:	Kickstart Eliminator/ Inboard1000 or Insider conflict?
)  EXPERIENCE WANTED:
)    I am hoping to buy some more MB soon.  I have a 1985 A1000, with
)    the Kickstart Eliminator board installed.  I am considering an
)    Inboard1000 from Spirit, or an Insider from Michigan Software (if
)    they're still around).  Does anyone have any experience with this
)    combo?  I'm ready to rework the shielding and case to accommodate
)    them if necessary.
)
)Subject: Re: Kickstart Eliminator/ Inboard1000 or Insider conflict?
)    ...[copy of my posting deleted]
)I have an Insider and am interested in a hard disk, which some of which I
)have heard the former has problems.
)                   ....[stuff deleted]
)My Insider works fine, by the way, on my otherwise entirely generic, non-
)half-brite, Amiga 1000, where it is installed at C00000 (+/- a zero).  The
)instructions were clear and I had no trouble following them.
)
)Charles Cleveland  Georgia Tech School of Physics  Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
)UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu
)
)Date: Thu, 02 Feb 89 15:53:31 -0800
)From: convex!blairjj@jimi.CS.UNLV.EDU
)To: chas@gtss.UUCP
)
)	I have an Insider board and a 30MB Supra drive installed in my
)amiga 1000. They work just fine together. They both have battery backed
)clocks, which do not seem to interfere with each other. I just use the
)Insider clock, but the Supra clock should work just as well.
)....[stuff deleted]
)The only problem I have ever had was with the PCUtils
)from the Extras disk. They seem to hate memory at $C00000 for some reason.
)....[stuff deleted]
)				blairjj@jimi.cs.unlv.edu
)
)
)Date: Mon, 6 Feb 89 18:43:19 -0500
)From: Michael Murphy <uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!mjm@gatech>
)
)I haven't had any real experience with any other systems, but I can recommend
)a Supra hard drive system for use with the Insider. I have the Supra 4x4 hard
)drive interface connected to a Seagate ST277N (65Meg SCSI), and it set up
)easily and works flawlessly.
)...[stuff deleted]
)-Michael
) mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu
)
)from Article 30024 of comp.sys.amiga:
)>From: a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen)
)Date: 12 Feb 89 18:14:48
)
)> Hurn writes:
)> MSG-ID: <14529@cup.portal.com>
)> A question on the WEDGE (TM or whatever):
)>   I've heard that it doesn't work with an Insider (TM/whatever)...
)
)The Insider is the only memory expansion unit that we have had any problem
)with. In the past 6 months we have had over 2 dozen A1000s with Insiders
)successfully running with a WEDGE and Hard Drive. There has only been one that
)has not.
)
)Early last year we began making modifications to the WEDGE to accomodate the
)problem. Sticking with the DTC series controllers and adding a terminating
)resistor has fixed the problem in 23 out of 24 cases,...[stuff deleted]
)
Ike Stoddard 		found daily at, but not officially representing:
IAS2033@draper.COM	Charles Stark Draper Laboratory,MS#4C, 555 Tech
			Sq.,Cambridge, MA    [AT&T: 617-258-1000, 258-3882]

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure