[comp.sys.amiga] Novice question about draggable objects

dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) (03/27/89)

I would like to create a checkerboard in a window, and allow the user to
drag checkers from one square to another.  I need the OS to notify me
when the mouse button is pressed and released.

I'm new to programming the Amiga and could use a pointer to an example
program that creates a "draggable object" like this.  Or, just some general
idea of the approach to take (e.g. should I use Bobs?)  Thanks.
                 Mike Dedina
                 dedina@cup.portal.com
                 ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dedina

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (03/28/89)

In article <16307@cup.portal.com>, dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) writes:
> I would like to create a checkerboard in a window, and allow the user to
> drag checkers from one square to another.  I need the OS to notify me
> when the mouse button is pressed and released.
>
> I'm new to programming the Amiga and could use a pointer to an example
> program that creates a "draggable object" like this.  Or, just some general
> idea of the approach to take (e.g. should I use Bobs?)  Thanks.
>                  Mike Dedina

I strongly reccommend purchasing copies of InovaTools I and
PowerWindows 2.5 for your work.  These utilities can be combined to
create the effects you mentioned with very little need for programming
on your part.  Your major programming requirement will be the creation
of the 'functional logic' for your game.  The 'drudge work' of setting
up the checkers and checkerboard code will be done by PowerWindows and
the Icon dragging can be handled with calls provided by InovaTools.

Check the magazines for an ad to get info on how to reach InovaTronics,
which is the company marketing these products, or watch this newsgroup
for someone else to post it (I'm at work and don't have the info here
and am likely to forget to bring it into the office).

Good luck.

PS: I have noticed some comments from people who do not like these
products, I disagree with them and use both products often.  In any
event - no flames please, it's just my opinion.

ARS.

--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT