[comp.sys.amiga] GURUs

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/29/88)

I have a file called s:TimeStamp, whch has been deleted and recreated
many many times.  Now, when I try to delete it, I visit the Guru.

Any ideas welcome.

                  lee

ps.  This is WB 1.2, patch_1, and ARP1.1 delete
     on an A1000.

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (03/29/89)

<MY8gely00Uka04iG8m@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>Bullshit; I get just as pissed when a machine shows "cute little
>bombs."  When a computer gets to this point, slick visual design is
>pretty irrelevant.  How is the phrase "guru meditation" offensive, anyway?
>
>-Miles

Not the phrase is offensive but the way GURUs are presented. You and I
(and then some) know what has happend when the machine GURUs. But from a
visual point of view (no pun intended) it is bad design (i.e.
marketing). Someone without our knowlegde will think something terrible
has happened. Read any book on user interface design and especially
those sections on the use of flashing objects on a screen. See for
example (this is from memory):

	"User Interface Design", (?)
	B. Schneidermann,
	pub. Addison-Wesley, 1987 (?)

When I wrote the above, I was a little bit to terse I think.

With "GURUs are bad practice" I meant bad 'technical' practice. I do
not like *any make* of computer crashing, be it Amiga, be it something
else.  Reality has it that computers *do* crash. On the display side,
the GURU display of the Amiga suggests that something terrible has
happened while on the other machines you (at least I do) get the
impression something went wrong. Please note the difference in wording.
I tried to indicate this by putting the Mac/Atari reaction in
lower-case and the Amiga reaction in upper-case. This is normal net
pratice to indicate the difference between speaking and shouting.

					Hans
--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@pcg.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288