[comp.sys.amiga] SBProlog's use of chip memory.

cs5041ai@ariel.unm.edu (03/24/89)

I have been using SBProlog the past few days and I am irritated by the fact
that it uses up all my chip memory.  I have an A1000 with 2.5 meg of memory,
so there is plenty of fast memory for it to use.  However is uses up about
450k of precious chip memory, and I can't see any reason for it.  The reason
that this is irritating is because I can't run other programs, like emacs,
along with prolog.  If I try to, I get the message "not enough core".  Is
there any way to have SBProlog use fast memory and only the chip memory it
needs for the display?

Also, is anybody else out there using SBProlog?  Have you found any bugs,
problems, enhancements?  For those who don't know, SBProlog can be found
on Fred Fish disks 140 and 141.  It appears to require about 1 meg of free
memory.

				-Erik Johannes

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/26/89)

In article <4704@charon.unm.edu> cs5041ai@ariel.unm.edu () writes:
>I have been using SBProlog the past few days and I am irritated by the fact
>that it uses up all my chip memory.  I have an A1000 with 2.5 meg of memory,
>so there is plenty of fast memory for it to use.  However is uses up about
>450k of precious chip memory, and I can't see any reason for it.

I just fired up SBProlog to check this.  Before I started memory looked like:

FAST memory: 1100872
CHIP memory: 359376
Total  Free: 1460248

With SBProlog 2.3.2 running, it's now:

FAST memory: 159176
CHIP memory: 359376
Total  Free: 518552

So, I can't repeat your problem.  However, SBProlog does allocate 2 rather
huge blocks of memory of like 450K and 300K each (if my memory is correct).
If your FAST memory if badly fragmented enough, then the allocation
may wind up coming from CHIP if only to return the contiguous 450K block.

There is no immediately obvious way to change the way SBProlog manages its
memory,  Of course, you are free to hack away.  I would try running
SBProlog on a freshly booted machine to see if the problem goes away.

-scott

intern@dasys1.UUCP (intern ) (03/30/89)

In article <4704@charon.unm.edu> cs5041ai@ariel.unm.edu () writes:
>I have been using SBProlog the past few days and I am irritated by the fact
>that it uses up all my chip memory.  I have an A1000 with 2.5 meg of memory,
>so there is plenty of fast memory for it to use.  However is uses up about
>450k of precious chip memory, and I can't see any reason for it.  The reason
>				-Erik Johannes

That's strange.  I've been using SBProlog for a while and never had a problem
with it.  I can run Emacs concurrently with it, as well as other programs.
I have an A1000 with a 2.5 Meg Starboard-2.  What's your memory expansion?
Maybe you gotta do something like running FastMemFirst.

	- Steve -

Steve Faiwiszewski	bang   :  {sun!hoptoad , cmcl2!phri} !dasys1!intern
			domain : intern@dasys1.UUCP

Steve Faiwiszewski	bang   :  {sun!hoptoad , cmcl2!phri} !dasys1!intern
			domain : intern@dasys1.UUCP
	    Help save a tree: Print on both sides of the paper