[comp.sys.amiga] Where does all that memory go?

dsking@pyr.gatech.EDU ( David King) (03/30/89)

In article <11838@louie.udel.EDU> jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>2.  How can I free up the maximum amount of core so I can run some of
>the core hog demos that need about 800k.  After normal boot-up the
>WB memory meter tells me I have about 720K.  So I ask myself, what is
>eating up that 280K?  With what little knowledge I have and no good
>DOS manuals I poke around and find very few things I can remove and
>gain core back.  RAM: for example is using less than 3k.  Ahah, perhaps
>WB is using up the most of that.  I deftly excise LoadWB and EndCLI
>from the Boot:s/startup-sequence and reboot.  Ami promptly comes back
>and displays the CLI prompt.  Anxious to assess my results I do an
>AVAIL and find I have about 460K of chip and 260K of fast for a total
>of 720K.  Hmmm!  That bears a striking resemblence to the amount the
>WB memory meter said.  Perhaps WB does not use much core after, but I
>find these two core figures hard to accept.  SOOOOO--Who is camping
>on my core and how do I evict them?

	I was wondering the same when I discovered after a boot that I
only had 620K.  So I procrastinated and fiddled around some.  First,
my system: B2000rev4.1, 1Meg, 2 floppy, Pacific Peripherial's controller
on Fuji harddrive.
	I hand did my startup-sequence and discovered a few interesting
things....
	1) BindDrivers uses up 4K of memory if executed with nothing in
the expansion drawer (I naively left it in my startup).
	2) FastFonts (FF) takes up 16K (I assume because it buffers bitmap
forms of the characters to quickly use)
	3) the standard startupII keeps CD, EXECUTE, RESIDENT, and LIST
resident - this adds up to ~18K.

	Anyway, using these guidelines I managed to reduce my memory usage
by around 100K for a normal system, more like 200K when I use my "special"
no WorkBench system.  Note that workbench itself doesn't use much memory
because the code is in the ROM - the only stuff that goes in RAM appears to
be its stack and the icons.  I now can have 810K available on a 1Meg.
system.  As far as I can tell the last 100K is going to be tough because
I think its floppy disk buffers, harddisk buffers, harddisk device,
fastfilesystem, and system stack.

	If you really need to have as much memory as possible, don't use
FastFonts, NEWCON, Shell-Seg, SetMap usa1, the ENV, CLIPS directories in RAM:,
loadWB, reduce the workbench screen to one plane (using WBdepth or
oneplane), and use only 5 buffers on your harddrive (assuming you have
one).  Its still usable (after all its almost stock 1.2).

>Thanks again for your patience and your excellent response.
>
>Regards to all;  Jerry

	Enough rambling now,
	- David

--
 David King - a "Real Role-Player" (tm)
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dsking