[comp.sys.amiga] European Characters in DPaint???

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/27/89)

   Tell me I'm wrong.  Tell me there's a way around it (other than editing
a zillion font files).  Tell me they finally fixed it in DPaint III.

     Why, oh why, is there not support in DPaint for the alternate
     character set?  I wanta send some pics to grandma in Denmark.
     Why doesn't DPaint support setmap?????   Am I missing something?
     Can't believe a big company like Electronic Arts would eschew
     the enormous European software market.  Is there a 'European
     version' of DPaint?  Inquiring minds want to know.

                                         LadyHawke@cup.portal.com

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (03/30/89)

In article <16283@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>   Tell me I'm wrong.  Tell me there's a way around it (other than editing
>a zillion font files).  Tell me they finally fixed it in DPaint III.
>     Why, oh why, is there not support in DPaint for the alternate
>     character set?  I wanta send some pics to grandma in Denmark.

Good news.  DPaint-III supports alternate characters.  I tried "setmap dk" and
got non-English characters from ";:[{'.  With "setmap usa1" it does respond to
combinations such as alt-a, alt-f-a, alt-g-a, alt-h-a, alt-j-a, alt-k-a.
Those combinations produce the letter "a" with all the accents that the Amiga
supports.  All the other European characters are there.  In text mode, the
cursor turns into a box with a line in it that shows where the baseline and
the descenders go.  The arrow keys work in text mode too.  And the font
requester is great!  It is selected by right-mouse-click on the "A" and
shows the names of the fonts.  A separate gadjet is used to select the size.
Pressing the "show" button causes it to display "ABCDabcdEFGH..." in the
selected font, with or without bold, underline, and italics.  And you don't
have to reassign "FONTS:", you can tell it to look in any drawer for them.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms