[comp.sys.amiga] MMU Usage

Bruce_Eric_Bowers@cup.portal.com (03/30/89)

I have a really naive question about the MMU in the A2500: What does it
actually *do* for you?

I thought MMUs performed such functions as address translation, and
were also used to produce separate address spaces for separate tasks.
I didn't think that the A2500 used it for either of these purposes.

Does the MMU have a concrete purpose when running AmigaDos, or is it
only for Amiga Unix and/or future use?

Just curious. Thank you!

Bruce Bowers
"I'm just some guy. I don't need a disclaimer."

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (03/31/89)

In article <16431@cup.portal.com> Bruce_Eric_Bowers@cup.portal.com writes:

>I have a really naive question about the MMU in the A2500: What does it
>actually *do* for you?
>
>I thought MMUs performed such functions as address translation, and
>were also used to produce separate address spaces for separate tasks.
>I didn't think that the A2500 used it for either of these purposes.
>
>Does the MMU have a concrete purpose when running AmigaDos, or is it
>only for Amiga Unix and/or future use?
>
>Just curious. Thank you!
>
>Bruce Bowers
>"I'm just some guy. I don't need a disclaimer."

There is no support for the MMU in AmigaDos 1.3.  The MMU will be used
by the Amiga Un*x.  There may (or may not) be MMU support in AmigaDos
1.4.  I can hardly wait for a "protected" AmigaDos (as long as things
don't slow down too much.)

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]