[comp.sys.amiga] Internal Clock Question.

KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Kendall 'Opusii' Sears) (03/29/89)

Ok folks here's an easy one (I hope).

I have a problem with the battery backed internal clock in my A500.
When the 500 is on the clock keeps perfect time, but when the 500 is
off the clock stops.  At first I figgered that the battery was ded, but
when I reboot the clock still holds the last time that it had when I
powered down.  The board it is on is a CMI board.
Also, the battery in the bugger looks to soldered in place.  Does anyone
know of a SAFE way to replace the battery if needed?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kendall

   Kendall "Opusii" Sears
   KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.bitnet
   ...!psuvax!ulkyvx.bitnet!KRSEAR01  (UUCP)
   K.Sears                            (GEnie)
"VIC's LIVE... Really. I just used one..."

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (03/30/89)

In article <8903291457.AA06725@jade.berkeley.edu> KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Kendall 'Opusii' Sears) writes:
>When the 500 is on the clock keeps perfect time, but when the 500 is
>off the clock stops.  At first I figgered that the battery was dead, but
>when I reboot the clock still holds the last time that it had when
>powered down.  The board it is on is a CMI board.

When AmigaDOS boots up, it gets the date/time from the most recently modified
file on the boot disk.  Since the .info file and the directory creation date
are always being updated, the time will be set to the time when you powered
down.  Therefore you cannot assume that the battery is not dead in your case.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (03/31/89)

In article <430@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>When AmigaDOS boots up, it gets the date/time from the most recently modified
>file on the boot disk.  Since the .info file and the directory creation date
>are always being updated, the time will be set to the time when you powered
>down.  Therefore you cannot assume that the battery is not dead in your case.

Yes. But, there must be a program that reads the real time clock and sets
up the DOS internals. In the case of the CBM supplied clock for 500, the
program is called `setclock'. My startup-sequence contains a line
	setclock >NIL: opt load
Barring a few occassions, I have not had any trouble. (knock on wood :-)
having the right date and time set up when the boot-up process ends.
--
It is the man, not the method, that               Nath
solves the problem.                     vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu