[comp.sys.amiga] Big Problems with A1000

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (03/19/89)

I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
for the darn thing.  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
program, time does not pass.  This is not a buggy program since I have run
them on a friend's machine and they work fine.  I figure maybe a chip is
loose or blown.  Can anyone recommend anything besides taking to a dealer
to have it fixed.  I can do simple repairs myself if I just know what to do.

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %

richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu (Robert Steven Richardson) (03/21/89)

In article <1683@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
>for the darn thing.  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
>program, time does not pass.  This is not a buggy program since I have run
>them on a friend's machine and they work fine.  I figure maybe a chip is
>loose or blown.  Can anyone recommend anything besides taking to a dealer
>to have it fixed.  I can do simple repairs myself if I just know what to do.
>
>--
>% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
>% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %
>% Wolfville N.S.    %     walking the streets today "             %
>% CANADA            %                       - S. Corbett          %

I have the exact same problem with my just-out-of-warranty B2000.  Its
over 100 miles to my dealer.  The service tech told me he was sure he
could find it for me in a week, and fix it for no labor charge.  Nice,
but I can't sacrifice a week without my machine.  This stuck clock
causes a couple of programs that depend on the system clock to appear
to lock up while waiting for events to pass that never happen.
The BATTERY-BACKED-CLOCK WORKS FINE, but the system clock used by
programs like "Clock" on the workbench disk just sticks wherever you
last used the DATE command. (Or SetClock Opt Load)

If someone over at Commodore could tell me what chip the clock
resides on, I could pop it and replace it myself.

Thanks for ANY help.

Bob Richardson               |  "An Apple a Day?  Call the Doctor!"
richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu   |       - David Letterman
220 NW 21st                  |  "Thank you for your recent appli-
Corvallis, OR 97330          |   cation for a STUDENT Citibank VISA
503-758-5018                 |   account.  We regret we are unable
------------------------------   to approve your request because of
the following: (1) Insufficient References (2) You are a student"

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/22/89)

> I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
> for the darn thing.

Coming soon to a theatre near you---`The Amiga That Time Forgot!'
Watch as dozens of users are born, use the computer, and die, but
the Amiga stays healthy as ever, gronking lustily to disk after disk!
Be astounded!  Be amazed!

> What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
> program, time does not pass.

Oh, I see.  Sorry about the above.  This sounds like a watch Batman
found at one point---click it on, and *time* *stops*!  Have you
considered using this to alleviate Apple of those troublesome 68030's?
Yeah, let's get a bunch of Amiga people together, run that clock
program on that magic Amiga, and we'll all go steal all the processors
out of all the Macintoshes the world over.

-tom "sorry, but I couldn't resist"

franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) (03/23/89)

In article <1683@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
>program, time does not pass.

Thats funny, my clock works fine, i think, i've never tried it......
i get by just fine with a watch.
who cares about save times anyway?????

frank shea

              Frank Shea
         Computer Science House
    Rochester Institute of Technology

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (03/25/89)

In article <2319@ritcsh.UUCP> franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) writes:
>who cares about save times anyway?????
>
>frank shea

   It is nice for the time to be accurate if you are developing under
   a shell which will conditionally compile program segements if the
   mod date is later than the last compile date.  It is also nice if
   you have a BBS, etc, etc.

This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of
any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how disorganized
things really are.

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (03/26/89)

In article <2319@ritcsh.UUCP> franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) writes:
>In article <1683@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>>  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
>>program, time does not pass.
>
>Thats funny, my clock works fine, i think, i've never tried it......
>i get by just fine with a watch.
>who cares about save times anyway?????
>
>frank shea

No. No. No.  Listen and you shall here.  Maybe I was ambiguous when I first
stated my problem so I'll try again:

On a 'normal' Amiga (e.g. the way mine was a few months ago), when you run
the clock program, you can watch the seconds tick away, one second will
elapse on the computer clock for each second of real time.  On a f**ked up
Amiga (e.g. the way mine is now), you run the clock program and you watch
one second tick by on the computer ... oh ... about every two or three hours
or so of real time.

Note that I do not mean a battery backed clock or anything like that.  I just
mean the clock inside that ticks a second every second.  Please, this is
not a flame to anyone who misunderstood me ... maybe I was unclear in
what I meant.

Now, if anyone can offer any assistance, I would be very grateful.
Oh, BTW, I did enjoy reading the person's reply to this message concerning
stopping time and swiping all the -020's and -030's from the Macs.  It
was quite humorous.
--

In article <1699@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>Now, if anyone can offer any assistance, I would be very grateful.

Your 8520 is broken. Have it replaced and your computer will be able
to keep time again. (Note that there are two 8520s in the Amiga).

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Ghengis Kahn!"

In article <96104@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Your 8520 is broken. Have it replaced and your computer will be able
>to keep time again. (Note that there are two 8520s in the Amiga).

Can this be the cause of a slllooooowww clock too?
A friend of mine has a timesaver + CLTD SCSI controller

and his clock takes about 2-3 real seconds to tick off an Amiga second
The timesaver seems to work normally, and sets the
time correctly at boot up

In Real Life: Joe Porkka
porkka@frith.egr.msu
jap@syssun.cl.msu.edu  (35.8.1.1)

 Life is just a game, so relax and be happy.

pmf@mimsy.UUCP (Paul M. Franceus) (03/28/89)

*that's an EASY problem.  Just replace one of your 8520 chips.  Try switching
them and see if you don't get different problems.  Like not being able to
double click.  I believe you need to replace the one that is NOT connected to
the parallel port.  I would really recommend just replaceing both of them.
You should be able to get the chips from any Commodore repair place as they
are C= custom parts.

Hope this helps-
     Paul
     Starlight technologies - home of hard drive systems for ALL Amigas

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/29/89)

In article <2319@ritcsh.UUCP> franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) writes:
>i get by just fine with a watch.
>who cares about save times anyway?????

"make"

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (03/30/89)

In article <2289@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joseph A Porkka) writes:
>In article <96104@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>Your 8520 is broken. Have it replaced and your computer will be able
>>to keep time again. (Note that there are two 8520s in the Amiga).
>
>Can this be the cause of a slllooooowww clock too?
>A friend of mine has a timesaver + CLTD SCSI controller

I am the original poster of this message.  This reply got me thinking.
I too had been using a TimeSaver.  Could there be any connection?

--

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (03/31/89)

In article <2319@ritcsh.UUCP> franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) writes:
>who cares about save times anyway?????

I don't, but the "make" program does. And maybe some news and mail
readers or posting programs out there. Until we get incremental
compilers on the Amiga, make is extremely useful.

Edwin