[comp.sys.amiga] Uses for Edit

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (03/28/89)

Does anybody use Edit?
If so, How, Why, and What On?
   I don't mean to knock it.  It's just a tool, the uses for which
I have yet to understand.  I keep hoping that enlightenment will
come and Edit will solve some problems for me.
   Comment by email.  I'll go warm up my mailbox.
  _____
    |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
    ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
    ||  ||                                      _buy_ them.
     |  ||
         |___   (Never write a program bigger than your screen.)

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/29/89)

In article <6735@ecsvax.UUCP> utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
->
->Does anybody use Edit?
->If so, How, Why, and What On?
->   I don't mean to knock it.  It's just a tool, the uses for which
->I have yet to understand.  I keep hoping that enlightenment will
->come and Edit will solve some problems for me.

Since most people have their own favorite editor, Edit as well as Ed should
be moved to the Extras disk to make room for more useful stuff in WorkBench.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

In article <86@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>In article <6735@ecsvax.UUCP> utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
>->
>->Does anybody use Edit?
>->I have yet to understand.  I keep hoping that enlightenment will
>->come and Edit will solve some problems for me.
>
>Since most people have their own favorite editor, Edit as well as Ed should
>be moved to the Extras disk to make room for more useful stuff in WorkBench.

Although I have never used it myself,
I think I remember from my AmigaDos User manual you can use Edit
from a batch file This would allow you to, say bump the revision
number in source file, automagically every time, just before it
gets compiled.

It could also be used to systematically change files from
one format to another. At least for text files.

subpost: this is not big enuff for a post in itself:
	If you use Lattice, try -. as the first option to lc1 and lc2
	to turn off the copyright notice.
	It works in v3.10, and probly in higher versions.

In Real Life: Joe Porkka
porkka@frith.egr.msu
jap@syssun.cl.msu.edu  (35.8.1.1)

 Life is just a game, so relax and be happy.

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (03/30/89)

In article <6735@ecsvax.UUCP> utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
>Does anybody use Edit?
>If so, How, Why, and What On?

I used Edit once.  I had an 800K INFO-AMIGA.TEXT file which Emacs couldn't
handle.  With Edit I had it read the file until it came to a particular
string (a date) and output the first half of the big file to a 2nd floppy
and the second half of the big file to a 3rd floppy.  Don't ask me what
commands I used; I retained that information just long enough to get the
job done.

I don't expect to use Edit again until I have need for editing something
via an Execute script.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (03/31/89)

Not having my manuals here at work, I'll have to trust
my memory that the "Edit" program is the predominantly
non-visual-mode editor (`sed' to Ed's `vi').  Reasoning
by analogy, I'd imagine that Edit was intended for automated
(script-driven) edits and filters of text files.

Maybe the newer text editors with Rexx ports can be used
for such things, but vi sure can't be.

Just guessing,

Brian Rhodefer ...!tektronix!tekig5!brianr

> >In article <6735@ecsvax.UUCP> utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
> >->
> >->Does anybody use Edit?
> >->I have yet to understand.  I keep hoping that enlightenment will
> >->come and Edit will solve some problems for me.

If you've ever tried to edit a file with Ed and been told 'file contains
binary' and dumped back to the cli, that is what you need Edit for.

Edit will edit text files that might contain binary or escape charactors, Ed
will not. That's the only time I've ever used Edit.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406