[comp.sys.amiga] Dpaint fonts...

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (03/11/89)

Hi folks,

I was trying to draw circuits on Dpaint and the printout looked real
shi**y!  The fonts (topaz 8) was too large and jagged.  Is there a way
to load fonts from other disks from Dpaint? Also I thought Postscript
was supposed to get rid of jaggies.  But the Dpaint printout (using
Iff2PS and CLAZ) showed a lot of jaggies-meriting the giggles of I*M
users....AAaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhh!)

Help someone,
BPJ0@Lehigh

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/13/89)

    You were asking about Loading other fonts with DPaint and getting rid
of jaggies with PostScript output .....
              This is pretty straightforward if you know how to use CLI.
              If you have an UNprotected copy of DPaint, copy the ASSIGN
               command onto the commands (c:) directory.  Then either before
              or after loading DPaint, type
                    ASSIGN FONTS: Mydisk:myfontdirectory
              e.g.,
                    ASSIGN FONTS: Newfonts:font2
              You'll have to pull down the DPaint screen to type this in
              the CLI window.  If the Workbench doesn't show when you drag
              the DPaint screen down, select Workbench from the Prefs menu.
              If there's no CLI window, click the Preferences icon, select
              CLI ON, close Prefs, click on System icon, click on the CLI
              icon, then type in the ASSIGN command.
     2.  Jaggies in PostScript
              If you print bitmap fonts on a PostScript printer, they will
              be smoother than on most dot-matrix printers (especially if
              you select a smoothing algorithm) but they are *still* bitmap
              fonts which are defined with dots rather than vectors, curves,
              etc.   The vector, or 'structured' (who came up with that odd
              name, anyway, what makes them any more structured than dots?)
              fonts in the PostScript format are defined quite differently
              and loaded as PostScript 'dictionaries'.
                                             Hope this info helps,
                                             LadyHawke@cup.portal.com

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/17/89)

In article <10596@louie.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) writes:
>I was trying to draw circuits on Dpaint and the printout looked real
>shi**y!  The fonts (topaz 8) was too large and jagged.  Is there a way
And it always will. Dpaint thinks that every printer in the universe
has no more resolution than the Amiga CRT. It is a toy. A not very
useful one.
>was supposed to get rid of jaggies.  But the Dpaint printout (using
>Iff2PS and CLAZ) showed a lot of jaggies-meriting the giggles of I*M
>users....AAaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhh!)
well, let's see, it was almost three years ago now that people began
to bitch on c.s.a about the crummy printer output, esp. from Dpaint, and
here we are three years letter with the same complaints. Frustrating.
Dpaint is not something you use to draw things you want to look good.
Iff2PS and CLAZ can't create information where none exists; by the
time they get to the iff file there just isn't enough information there
to make 300dpi color (or even 180dpi, or 120 ...) look like anything
but garbage. Drop dpaint. Drop any program that works the way dpaint does.
It looks like Professional Draw is almost the answer, judging by the review
in a recent Amiga Sentry.
   Sorry, Bin, but as long as you use Dpaint you are screwed.
ron

In article <7203@super.ORG> (Ronald G Minnich) replies:
>And it always will. Dpaint thinks that every printer in the universe
>has no more resolution than the Amiga CRT. It is a toy. A not very
>useful one.

Not true Ron. While it is true that Dpaint is a raster painter (much
like MacPaint in concept) there many simple ways to get acceptable
output from it. One is to use a larger image. When I am producing
something for printed output, I usually run DPaint with a 640 X 830
image (for 8 1/2 X 11 printouts) in monochrome or 4 colors. (Since
in 144 dpi mode you can get a nice 2X2 dither for four shades of grey)

Then draw my image and using some of the larger fonts like Helvetica 24
and print it out on my printer. Ever since 1.3 came out the printout is
a) fast, and b) can be forced to "integer" scaling to eliminate those
annoying artifacts.

Output is now equivalent to a Mac under similar conditions.

--Chuck McManis

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/18/89)

Now Ron. Didnt I flame you about this almost 3 years ago ?

First of all, its 75 dpi, not 30.

Second of all, if you make yer picture as big as possible (1K x 1K)
and print it out with iff2ps ane make it, say, half page, which
isnt bad for an illustration ona page that might have some
text on it, you have a 300 dpi output from dpaint.

To be completely fair, it's not entirely dpaints fault.

Say you make a ice picture with a nice font you picked up
from somewhere, oh, say you got ``Yagi Link'' (TM Letraset)
and you use it in a picture.

Now what do you EXEPECT dpaint to do with it when faced with the
challange of outputting it to a device with greater than 75 dpi ?

You have two choices: scale it (which is what it does cirrently)
or use a the font reseident in the printer. Except there are
about 500 amiga screen fonts (would make a great book) and at
best, 50 Postscripot fonts, and thats about it for printer
resident fonts ?

You think the mac does it any better with a font that aint
in the prnter ? Nope.

In conclusion, if you cant get by with making a BIG picture
and shrinking it down, use Pro-Draw or the like.

(although I suppose the issue of drawig jaggie free lines
is a much simpler one to resolve thatthat of jaggie free fonts)

--
                  ``Quick Robin !  The Bat-Listings !''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/19/89)

In article <7203@super.ORG> rminnich@brainiac.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <10596@louie.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) writes:
>>I was trying to draw circuits on Dpaint and the printout looked real
>>shi**y!  The fonts (topaz 8) was too large and jagged.  Is there a way
>And it always will. Dpaint thinks that every printer in the universe
>has no more resolution than the Amiga CRT. It is a toy. A not very
>useful one.

>   Sorry, Bin, but as long as you use Dpaint you are screwed.

Well, yes and no.  What you say is true for the most part, but if all
you have is dpaint, you're not *totally* handcuffed.  What I've been
doing is to create one bitplane 900x900 diagrams in dpaint II, and
setting the new preferences options in 1.3 such that it the picture gets
printed so that there is a one-to-one correspondence between screen
pixels and printer pixels.  This works reasonably well on a laser
printer.  There are lots of objections to this, yes, such as the picture
will only be 3" by 3", you have to scroll around the picture as you're
drawing it, and dpaint doesn't provide the convenient structured drawing
tools available in something like Professional Draw.  But for reasonably
simple diagrams, it can be done, and the results aren't bad.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

Dpaint doesn't know what 30dpi is.

Just draw on a larger scale... dp just loves bitmaps bigger than the screen.

Then tell the printer.device to reduce it. (Print it pixel for pixel)

What? You can't?

That's not dpaint's fault.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/21/89)

In article <94598@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <7203@super.ORG> (Ronald G Minnich) replies:
>Not true Ron. While it is true that Dpaint is a raster painter (much
>like MacPaint in concept) there many simple ways to get acceptable
>output from it. One is to use a larger image. When I am producing
>something for printed output, I usually run DPaint with a 640 X 830
>image (for 8 1/2 X 11 printouts) in monochrome or 4 colors. (Since
>in 144 dpi mode you can get a nice 2X2 dither for four shades of grey)
But but but ... the amiga is a color machine. So, i have this nice
color machine, i drop the money on my nice hp paintjet, and ...
you tell me that i can get output if i use 4 colors or monochrome?
On my eight-color-at-180dpi paintjet? Toss away half my colors?
Why did i buy the amiga, then? It is frustrating that after
three years now there is still no apparent way to get decent,
non-jaggie color output. I have done a fair amount of fooling around
with Dpaint I/II and even have done what you say, Chuck, and i still
find the output atrocious.
   All I really would like is color output as clean as AmigaTeX's
monochrome output. Yeah, i know, these things are hard to write.
But three years later we only have one candidate? ack.
No wonder nobody takes us seriously.
   I wish I had bought something other than a paintjet ... I
really can't use it, since no Amiga programs can.
Maybe i should buy a pc and get one of their draw programs?
   ron
P.S. Oh, BTW, don't believe Aegis's claims about supporting color printers.
     (in Draw 2000). They lie.

In article <13442@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Now Ron. Didnt I flame you about this almost 3 years ago ?
Yes, you did.
>First of all, its 75 dpi, not 30.
Oh, how exciting. Well, now i am only 115 dpi shy of my Painjet.
>Second of all, if you make yer picture as big as possible (1K x 1K)
>and print it out with iff2ps ane make it, say, half page, which
>isnt bad for an illustration ona page that might have some
>text on it, you have a 300 dpi output from dpaint.
Wow, that was easy. I stood on my head and put the picture on the
driveway and it looked great.
Now if i could only get everyone else to look at it that way.
   You forgot the aspect ratio compensation, right? Or do
circles finally look like circles? Should Joe Average User have
to go through this sort of thing? Why can't Joe Average User
buy a decent draw program yet?
>To be completely fair, it's not entirely dpaints fault.
No, it isn't. I just hate Dpaint. I hate electronic arts. So
I flamed them first.
>In conclusion, if you cant get by with making a BIG picture
>and shrinking it down, use Pro-Draw or the like.
My main real complaint is that after you flamed me three years ago
you didn't go out and write a decent draw program. You wrote postscript,
after all, and you own 400,000 shares of Adobe stock. Therefore, you
should have fixed us all up with a draw program worth something.
>(although I suppose the issue of drawig jaggie free lines
>is a much simpler one to resolve thatthat of jaggie free fonts)
Somewhat.
Ah, well, maybe by the time 1990 rolls around we will finally
have a decent draw program. Meantime, i have color macdraw
or fig or ... any one of a number of programs, none of which
run on the Amiga ... sigh.
ron

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (03/22/89)

So is there any paint program which when printing does the appropriate
interpolation of the screen resolution to printer resolution ?
Would I have time for a leisurely meal or just coffee while it runs,
assuming a vanilla 2000 ?
--
Frank C

scobb@bti.UUCP (Steve Cobb) (03/27/89)

In article <7328@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
> In article <13442@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> >Now Ron. Didnt I flame you about this almost 3 years ago ?
> Yes, you did.
> >First of all, its 75 dpi, not 30.
> Oh, how exciting. Well, now i am only 115 dpi shy of my Painjet.
> >Second of all, if you make yer picture as big as possible (1K x 1K)
> >and print it out with iff2ps ane make it, say, half page, which
> >isnt bad for an illustration ona page that might have some
> >text on it, you have a 300 dpi output from dpaint.
> Wow, that was easy. I stood on my head and put the picture on the
> driveway and it looked great.
> Now if i could only get everyone else to look at it that way.
>    You forgot the aspect ratio compensation, right? Or do
> circles finally look like circles? Should Joe Average User have
> to go through this sort of thing? Why can't Joe Average User
> buy a decent draw program yet?
> >To be completely fair, it's not entirely dpaints fault.
> No, it isn't. I just hate Dpaint. I hate electronic arts. So
> I flamed them first.
> >In conclusion, if you cant get by with making a BIG picture
> >and shrinking it down, use Pro-Draw or the like.
> My main real complaint is that after you flamed me three years ago

 Why in Hell would anybody use Dpaint to get hardcopy output.  It was
 certainly never designed with that in mind.  It's great for pretty
 screen shots - but that's it.

 Take a look at Express Paint.  Epaint was definitly designed for hardcopy.
 There is a setting to define the aspect ratio (for circles and such)
 and a description in the manual of DPI, aspect ratio, and page size(in bits)
 for most known printers.

 Another big plus is Virtual page.  You are no longer restricted by CHIP
 ram to define your page size.  I can open a VP of 1400 * 1800
 (HP PaintJet resolution) no problem - I do it all the time.  Yes you do
 need extra memory to work with page sizes this large, but it can be done.
 Epaint also handles text quite well.

 There is a whole set of widgets and menu options for printer stuff - Like
 page centering, page expansion ...
 The final output on the Paint Jet comes pretty close to that of laser
 printers (all that and color too.)

 My only gripe (albeit minor) is that the manual is broken into 2 parts.
 The first part is the pre 3.0 manual.  The second part is the 3.0 enhancements
 which is almost as large as the first part.  The problem is that I never
 had Epaint before 3.0, so I have know way of knowing which one to look
 in for a particular feature.  An updated integrated manual would be nice.
 Other than that the manual is quite complete.

 Hope this helps.

    Steve (Rasterfarian in training) Cobb

	Biomagnetic Technologies, inc.
MAIL:   4174 Sorrento Valley Blvd. San Diego, CA 92121  ----------------------
PHONE:  (619) 453-6300 x404                             | Disclaim all words |
UUCP:   {ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!ncr-sd!bti!scobb          |  Ye who read here  |
                                                        ----------------------

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/28/89)

In article <7328@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <13442@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>First of all, its 75 dpi, not 30.

>Oh, how exciting. Well, now i am only 115 dpi shy of my Painjet.

Well it's a start.

>>Second of all, if you make yer picture as big as possible (1K x 1K)
>>and print it out with iff2ps ane make it, say, half page, which
>>isnt bad for an illustration ona page that might have some
>>text on it, you have a 300 dpi output from dpaint.

>Wow, that was easy. I stood on my head and put the picture on the
>driveway and it looked great.
>Now if i could only get everyone else to look at it that way.
>   You forgot the aspect ratio compensation, right? Or do

You can tweak the scale with iff2ps to make the aspect ratio anything
you want.

>circles finally look like circles? Should Joe Average User have
>to go through this sort of thing? Why can't Joe Average User
>buy a decent draw program yet?

Beats me. But the issue you brought up was not ``why isnt there
a DRAW program'' you said ``DPAINT IS USELESS''

>>To be completely fair, it's not entirely dpaints fault.

>No, it isn't. I just hate Dpaint. I hate electronic arts. So
>I flamed them first.

Faultless logic even if the premises are open to suspicion.

>>In conclusion, if you cant get by with making a BIG picture
>>and shrinking it down, use Pro-Draw or the like.
>My main real complaint is that after you flamed me three years ago
>you didn't go out and write a decent draw program.

I actually started, but then some bastard turned me onto USENET
c'mon little boy, just read one article, one article became 3
3 became 40 more newsgroups, flames, net.parties. My life is
a shambles and the program is nowhere nearer to completion than
it was 2 years ago.

>Ah, well, maybe by the time 1990 rolls around we will finally
>have a decent draw program. Meantime, i have color macdraw
>or fig or ... any one of a number of programs, none of which
>run on the Amiga ... sigh.

Thats a valid complaint. Saying Dpaint is useless isn't It does what
it does very well.

Plus you still havnt adressed the question I raised in a previous
post on this subject: what do you expect your printer to print
when you have a 24 point font in your drawing. Either it has to have
a 92 point font available to it to render your picture properly
or it has to replicate pixels with all the nasty artifacts that
entails.

Dpaint is a raster based paint program.

Your complaint that it makes a poor object oriented draw
program doesnt make much sense.

Maybe you should try Pro-Draw ?  The text is SLOOOOOOOOW but
at least it WILL do what you want it to.

Eventually.

--
                  Keep out of the reach of children
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/29/89)

In article <13835@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>You can tweak the scale with iff2ps to make the aspect ratio anything
>you want.
IFF2PS can't drive a paintjet. iff2ps doesn't come with Deluxe Paint.
It seems that every solution I have seen to using deluxe paint involves
hunting around for some public domain goodie and and hoping that
somehow you can get printed output that looks like something.
Tell me what you will, but MacPaint output to an Imagewriter looks
better than DeluxePaint to almost anything- unless you are willing
to do a *lot* of screwing around. Why is this? I dunno. Why is this
after *3 years*? I dunno. I think it is your fault. :-)
>Thats a valid complaint. Saying Dpaint is useless isn't It does what
>it does very well.
Well, I guess you are right, it does what it does  ... well, ok maybe.
Fact is that Amiga people always end up stacking dpaint up against
the competition. That's not fair, i know, but that is what happens.
And we always seem to lose.
>Plus you still havnt adressed the question I raised in a previous
>post on this subject: what do you expect your printer to print
>when you have a 24 point font in your drawing. Either it has to have
>a 92 point font available to it to render your picture properly
>or it has to replicate pixels with all the nasty artifacts that
>entails.
Yeah, but Richard, I don't even want that much. Neither did the
original poster. He probably drew, maybe, a box or a triangle,
and noticed that when he printed the triangle it looked like sh*t.
As did lots of people three years ago. For drawing and printing
the most basic pictures dpaint fails.
ron

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (03/29/89)

[doesn't any part of the uncivilized world get netnews?]

In article <7564@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <13835@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>You can tweak the scale with iff2ps to make the aspect ratio anything
>>you want.
>IFF2PS can't drive a paintjet. iff2ps doesn't come with Deluxe Paint.
>It seems that every solution I have seen to using deluxe paint involves
>hunting around for some public domain goodie and and hoping that
>somehow you can get printed output that looks like something.
>Tell me what you will, but MacPaint output to an Imagewriter looks
>better than DeluxePaint to almost anything- unless you are willing
>to do a *lot* of screwing around. Why is this? I dunno. Why is this
>after *3 years*? I dunno. I think it is your fault. :-)

MacPaint works with the Imagewriter right out of the box because the
Macintosh only supports two printers.  Supporting a lot of printers costs
you some complexity.  Despite that, you can get good looking output from
DPaint without a lot of screwing around.  Prior to 1.3, it was harder, and
it was DPaint's fault for not allowing a decent amount of control over the
printer device parameters--so you needed something like Andy Finkel's
"Control" program which allows you to intercept and modify the DumpRPort()
call from DPaint.  With the improved printer drivers and preferences in
1.3, you can get good looking output (well, at least competitive with
MacPaint on a Imagewriter) fairly easily--you just have to understand the
options in preferences and how they interact.  THIS IS NOT HARD.  You
may have to print out a few pages with different options to see how they
interact with your particular printer, but once you've done it once, it's
done.

The Amiga does need better postscript support, and Commodore and third
parties are going to have address this in a serious way, and soon.
Commodore did a great job in 1.3 addressing most of the complaints about
printer support;  I expect they are at least thinking about postscript
support for some later release.

>>Thats a valid complaint. Saying Dpaint is useless isn't It does what
>>it does very well.
>Well, I guess you are right, it does what it does  ... well, ok maybe.
>Fact is that Amiga people always end up stacking dpaint up against
>the competition. That's not fair, i know, but that is what happens.
>And we always seem to lose.

Do not.  I'll take DPaint over most of the Mac paint programs any day.
Comparing it to a Draw program obviously isn't fair, which seems to be
what you're doing.  If so, I can only echo Richard--DPaint isn't a
structured graphics editor, it's a bitmap editor.  If you want a draw
program, don't look at DPaint.  We do need a good draw program, and we
need some hybrids--things that will let you do structured graphics on
top of a bitmap.  But don't expect DPaint to do it all.

>Yeah, but Richard, I don't even want that much. Neither did the
>original poster. He probably drew, maybe, a box or a triangle,
>and noticed that when he printed the triangle it looked like sh*t.
>As did lots of people three years ago. For drawing and printing
>the most basic pictures dpaint fails.

One more time.  DPaint is an excellent bitmap/pixel editor.  You can
do a lot of nice things with it, but it has limitations (and features!)
that are inherent to a paint program.  If you want a draw program,
complain about the lack of draw programs, don't complain that dpaint
isn't a draw program.  DPaint is very good at what it was designed to
do, and a lot of people get a lot of utility out of out.  But it's not
going to solve everyone's problems.  Get the right tool for job.

This is getting suspiciously close to a flame, so I better shut up now
before I violate my personal "no-flame" policy.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab.

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (03/30/89)

In article <7564@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>IFF2PS can't drive a paintjet. iff2ps doesn't come with Deluxe Paint.
>It seems that every solution I have seen to using deluxe paint involves
>hunting around for some public domain goodie and and hoping that
>somehow you can get printed output that looks like something.
>Tell me what you will, but MacPaint output to an Imagewriter looks
>better than DeluxePaint to almost anything- unless you are willing
>to do a *lot* of screwing around. Why is this? I dunno. Why is this
>after *3 years*? I dunno. I think it is your fault. :-)

I think you're confused about why dpaint output looks so bad.  IFF2PS will
do abolutely nothing to improve the print quality.  The problem lies in the
fact that you can't generate information where ne exists!  Dpaint is a
pixel paint program.  No more information exists other than what you see
on the screen.  When you draw a line, it is stored as pixels;  its identidy
as a line is lost..  Thus, the only thing iff2ps can do is translate the
iff bitmap to a postscript-format bitmap--Your lines won't look sharper,
your text won't be any more readable.

The macintosh screen resolution is smaller than the Amigas. Thus, dpaint
pictures SHOULD look better than macpaint.  They usually don't.  Why?

1) Bad fonts.  The standard Amiga fonts are a joke.  Try getting some good
public domain fonts, or better yet, get a collection of mac fonts translated
to amiga format.

2) The imagewriter resolution is keyed to be an integer multiple of the
screen resolution (i think).  This makes an ENORMOUS difference for text
or pixel-thin lines.  Since the amiga has no STANDARD printer (ie you get
a choice) the printer device does fractional scaling to fit your picture
on the page.  To overcome this, go into 1.3 prefs and set scaling to an
integer multiple before printing.  I use 2-1 when printing a hires screen
to my paintjet.  You probably want smoothing on too.  The difference is like
night and day.  The picture will be a little smaller than full page, but you
can increase your page size to compensate.

Hope this helps.  There is no reason why dpaint output should be any worse
than macpaint, since they face the same constraints to print quality:  you
can't print information that doesn't exist.  In Hires, the amiga has more
information...in color, even more!

-vince

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (03/31/89)

In article <7635@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>...  MacPaint works with the Imagewriter right out of the box because the
>Macintosh only supports two printers.

	Try at least six:  Imagewritter I, II,  & LQ (that's three right there);
LaserWriter+ (and "old" LaserWriter -- that's four); the NT and NTX (five);
and the non-Postscript LaserWriter IISC (six).

	I think the NT and NTX are similar enough to be considered the same
though others may easily prove otherwise (and I'll believe them).  I'm just
trying to keeps the facts straight.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/31/89)

In article <7635@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>(concerning my complaints about DPaint)
>Get the right tool for job.
oh all right folks i give up. People seem to like Dpaint, i never will,
so i will leave it at that.
   I did want to add one comment. I got my brother ComicSetter for
his birthday. I have played with it just a little and run through the
manual and ... sure it is for comics, but it is a pretty neat drawing
tool in its own right. I have yet to see how it drives, e.g., paintjet
though. But if you are looking for a draw program that allows you
to mix bitmaps and structured objects take a look at this one. Don't be
put off by the name.
   If ComicSetter can do a reasonable job of driving a paintjet i think
i will get it for my own work.
ron

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/01/89)

In article <4963@cs.Buffalo.EDU> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
>>...  MacPaint works with the Imagewriter right out of the box because the
>>Macintosh only supports two printers.
>
>	Try at least six:  Imagewritter I, II,  & LQ (that's three right there);

Very little difference. Counts as one printer.

>LaserWriter+ (and "old" LaserWriter -- that's four); the NT and NTX (five);

These are all essentially the same thing.

I mean are you really gonna tell us that takng a LaserWriter and
upgrading to the next version of PostScript and adding 32 fonts
qualifies this as a ``different'' printer.  Granted it's physically
a different printer, but not different in the sense that an Epson
MX and a TI Silent 700 are different. In this context ``Different''
means different resolutions, different command sets, etc.

>and the non-Postscript LaserWriter IISC (six).

Yes, this is actually a new printer.

Make that THREE printers the Mac supports.