[comp.sys.amiga] GVP - The company that lies about shipping...

manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) (03/30/89)

Approximately 10 days ago, a local company placed a order for a 40 meg
hard card from Great Valley Products.  The sales folks said "Yes, they
have it in stock, and it will be out blue label (2 day air). "

Needless to say that the unit did not arrive.  The company called back
to GVP and they were told that they had run out of that particular drive,
and that is why the unit was not shipped, however they would ship it the
next day.

Well, yesterday 03/28/89 GVP was called again, they were very apolgetic
and said that they would ship it red label (next day air).  Guess what,
it is not here.

Why is it these companies lie like this?  Could they not simply say that
they did not have any available?  WE also ordered a lot of PC hardware
from several different sources, all of it arrived.

AND ON TIME WITH NO EXCUSES.

Why do Amiga product companies look so mickey-mouse.  It really hurts
the image of the company, and the amiga world in general.  Amiga in
use by business?  Hah, you can't even get the companies to ship the
stuff...

-mark=
Mad as hell...

Mark D. Manes                                          "In Amiga We Trust"
Programmer of Fortune, have compiler will travel

"GVP may make a good hard card, but they can't ship..."

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (03/30/89)

In article <8249@xanth.cs.odu.edu> manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) writes:
=-
=-"GVP may make a good hard card, but they can't ship..."

	Actually, GVP makes a completely unremarkable hard card.  If you want a
GOOD one, then as of now you want the Microbotics HardFrame.  It even leaves
the choice of the drive up to you, which is a MAJOR selling point, as far as
I'm concerned.
	Don't let GVP's lies about shipping dates upset you.  All manufacturers
of everything lie about such things when the situation warrants it.  If you
think that PC clone mfgs, or even IBM, don't lie, you're dreaming.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/30/89)

In article <321@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
-In article <8249@xanth.cs.odu.edu> manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) writes:
-=-
-=-"GVP may make a good hard card, but they can't ship..."
-
-	Actually, GVP makes a completely unremarkable hard card.  If you want a
-GOOD one, then as of now you want the Microbotics HardFrame.  It even leaves
-the choice of the drive up to you, which is a MAJOR selling point, as far as
-I'm concerned.

I have heard of earlier problems with the HardFrame (must be placed
in a particular slot if you have this other card ...). How is the
current situation? I have a B2000 with the A2620 card and a total of
5MB memory (2meg 32-bit on the A2620). The GVP doesn't DMA which slows
things down, A2090A does DMA which slows things down... (if You  have
several bit-planes and overscan). Any GOOD solution? I am thinking of
a auto-boot controller and a 80-110 MB harddisk.

Tommy Petersson
eunet!enea!tope

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (03/31/89)

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
> 5MB memory (2meg 32-bit on the A2620). The GVP doesn't DMA which slows
> things down, A2090A does DMA which slows things down... (if You  have
> several bit-planes and overscan). Any GOOD solution? I am thinking of
> a auto-boot controller and a 80-110 MB harddisk.

I don't know of any cure-all solution, but to a large extent, it depends on
how you use your system.  I, for instance, normally use my amiga for things
which don't require many bitplanes, so I bought a 2090a (and get the
high-speed dma transfer rate).  However, if you spend all of your time doing
graphics work with lots of bitplanes, you might want to go for a non-dma
controller, as that will work best for you most the time (although it may be
slower than a dma card on the workbench screen).

-Miles

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/01/89)

Wooaaa Mark!! Just because you had a problem with ONE Amiga supplier, don't
pin that rap on ALL of them! I have had EXCELLENT service from CMI,
Expansion Technologies, etc.. So let's not blame them all for just a few.
And I have news for you, I could tell you HORROR stories that my friend went
through when he TRIED to order hardware for his PC.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com