[comp.sys.amiga] 2090a

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (10/21/88)

What exactly are the results of the famed overscan problems with the
2090 (that everyone seems to mention, but not in any detail)?  What
about non-overscan, but deep screens (i.e., 6 bitplanes)?

Are these solved or addressed in the 2090A?

[This hard disk controller thing is really confusing!]

-MIles

cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) (11/26/88)

Well, as no one has responded to my earlier post I'll try again.
Is the 2090A available yet?  Is it to be available soon?
Will the 2090 be upgradable to a 2090A?

Also will the seagate ST4096 work with this controller?

Chris

In article <EXXRYtl68k-04R9HR7@andrew.cmu.edu> cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) writes:
>Well, as no one has responded to my earlier post I'll try again.
>Is the 2090A available yet?  Is it to be available soon?

I received a letter from CBM stating that the the "old" A2090 controller is
NO LONGER available.  The new A2090A is available in its place at the same
price. If you're buying mail order, make sure you get what you're asking for

>Will the 2090 be upgradable to a 2090A?

Rumor has it that "somebody" has/will have a doughterboard that will use
a extra slot and allow an "old" A2090 to autoboot.  So far, just rumors
from a few CBM salespeople.

>Also will the seagate ST4096 work with this controller?

If I recall correctly the Seagate ST4096 is a 5 1/4in FULL HEIGHT ST506.
As such it will work with the A2090, BUT cannot be put inside the A2000,
which accepts only HALF HEIGHT drives.  You CAN though buy a $100 externally
powered disk enclosure and have the cable run outside through one of the
connector holes.  Look in Computer Shopper for the drive enclosure.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (11/27/88)

In article <13655@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>If I recall correctly the Seagate ST4096 is a 5 1/4in FULL HEIGHT ST506.
>As such it will work with the A2090, BUT cannot be put inside the A2000,
>which accepts only HALF HEIGHT drives.  You CAN though buy a $100 externally
>powered disk enclosure and have the cable run outside through one of the
>connector holes.  Look in Computer Shopper for the drive enclosure.

	Doesn't the 2090 work only with drives with 8 heads or less?  The
ST-4096 has 9 heads, so I guess you'll need the 2090A to use the drive to
its full capacity anyway...
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/30/88)

From article <2714@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, by yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang):
> In article <EXXRYtl68k-04R9HR7@andrew.cmu.edu> cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) writes:
>> [About the 2090A]
>>Also will the seagate ST4096 work with this controller?

> In article <13655@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>If I recall correctly the Seagate ST4096 is a 5 1/4in FULL HEIGHT ST506.
>>As such it will work with the A2090, BUT cannot be put inside the A2000,
>>which accepts only HALF HEIGHT drives.  You CAN though buy a $100 externally
>>powered disk enclosure and have the cable run outside through one of the
>>connector holes.  Look in Computer Shopper for the drive enclosure.

> 	Doesn't the 2090 work only with drives with 8 heads or less?  The
> ST-4096 has 9 heads, so I guess you'll need the 2090A to use the drive to
> its full capacity anyway...

I've got an A2090A in my 2000, and a ST4096 hooked up to it. Marco is
right, the ST4096 IS a full height drive, so it will not fit inside the
2000's case. I got a case from IB Computers (they advertize in Computer
Shopper) for about $20, and I'm powering the drive from the 2000.
(There's an ugly mess of cables hanging out the back, but the price was
right. :-)

Unfortunatly my A2090A doesn't support more than 8 heads, so I've only
got 70M of usable space right now. I've heard several times that the
A2090A SHOULD support >8 heads, but alas, mine does not.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (03/31/89)

In article <4397@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <321@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
>I have a B2000 with the A2620 card and a total of
>5MB memory (2meg 32-bit on the A2620). The GVP doesn't DMA which slows
>things down, A2090A does DMA which slows things down... (if You  have
>several bit-planes and overscan).

In theory the problem is either much reduced or eliminated by having
read fast ram - of which you have 4 meg. I have a 2090a and real fast ram
(which I put the hard disk's buffers in) and a SCSI (28ms) drive. I run
interlaced and overscanned all the time.

I have never had the 'slow-down' problem. Another person with the same
drive and a 2090a but no 'real' fast (as opposed to the pseudo-fast ram
that really is chip-ram in disquise) has the problem.

If you are worried about the drive running slow, ask your local dealer if he'd
mind if you carted your Amiga into the store so you could try out the
controller (before you buy it) to see if it slows down.

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/02/89)

-
-In theory the problem is either much reduced or eliminated by having
-read fast ram - of which you have 4 meg. I have a 2090a and real fast ram
-(which I put the hard disk's buffers in) and a SCSI (28ms) drive. I run
-interlaced and overscanned all the time.
-
-I have never had the 'slow-down' problem. Another person with the same
-drive and a 2090a but no 'real' fast (as opposed to the pseudo-fast ram
-that really is chip-ram in disquise) has the problem.

I don't have the 'slow-down' problem, but the 'read-write error problem'.
(Maybe it's a worse incarnation of the slow-down caused by PAL machines'
extra lines). I get read-write rrors all the time when having many bit-
planes, and have to click retry on the WorkBench screen.

-
-If you are worried about the drive running slow, ask your local dealer if he'd
-mind if you carted your Amiga into the store so you could try out the
-controller (before you buy it) to see if it slows down.

He. Here in Sweden You can't try anything that exotic. The only (almost)
hardware they sell that is non-Commodore is disc drives. I have to
import hard cards and such...