[comp.sys.amiga] Color printers of 300 dpi wanted

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (03/30/89)

	Can anybody write me a review of an HP paintjet or a Xerox 4020?
I just bought a deskjet but I might take it back to get color compatibility.
I was thinking about the paintjet but I read somewhere that it "rivals" 24
pin printers.  Rivals?  It should be better.  I want a color printer that has
300 dpi by 300 dpi.  Anybody have any suggestions?

				Russell Williams

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/30/89)

In article <4250@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	Can anybody write me a review of an HP paintjet or a Xerox 4020?
>I just bought a deskjet but I might take it back to get color compatibility.
>I was thinking about the paintjet but I read somewhere that it "rivals" 24
>pin printers.  Rivals?  It should be better.  I want a color printer that has
>300 dpi by 300 dpi.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>				Russell Williams

I think German BASF has one for about $70,000...

Canon has a very good-looking printer, FP-510, which only is
160x160. It has however 64-step Gradation (analog modulation of
dot diameter). It prints wonderful pictures, but is extremely
slow (9 minutes for an A5 picture). But then, it only costs
about $5,000...

Tommy Petersson
eunet!enea!tope

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (03/31/89)

In article <4250@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	Can anybody write me a review of an HP paintjet or a Xerox 4020?
>I just bought a deskjet but I might take it back to get color compatibility.
>I was thinking about the paintjet but I read somewhere that it "rivals" 24
>pin printers.  Rivals?  It should be better.  I want a color printer that has
>300 dpi by 300 dpi.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>				Russell Williams

	There a very few 300 dpi color printers on the market and you're going
to pay through the nose for them.  Here's my list of color printers at 200 or
better dpi.

Printer			~Cost	Resolution	Printing Method
-------			-----	----------	---------------
CalComp_ColorMaster	$5000	203x200		thermal transfer (3 pass)
Howtek_PixelMaster	$5000	240x240		plastic ink-jet
Seiko_5300 (series)	$5000	240x240		thermal transfer (3 pass)
Tektronix_4693DX	$8000	300x300		thermal transfer (3 or 4 pass)
Mitsubishi		?	300x300		thermal transfer
Shinko			?	300x200		thermal transfer

	The HP_PaintJet has 180x180 color output, the Xerox_4020 has
120x120 (it has a psuedo 240x240 mode where is outputs the same line
twice shifting it down and to the right by 1/240 of an inch).

	I haven't checked my prices for a while so they may be out!

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (03/31/89)

In article <4250@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	Can anybody write me a review of an HP paintjet or a Xerox 4020?
>I just bought a deskjet but I might take it back to get color compatibility.
>I was thinking about the paintjet but I read somewhere that it "rivals" 24
>pin printers.  Rivals?  It should be better.  I want a color printer that has
>300 dpi by 300 dpi.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>				Russell Williams

Sorry, the Paintjet is 180dpi, the Xerox is 120.  Even though the paintjet
and deskjet are very similar, they (hp) probably had problems getting the
colors to register correctly at 300dpi.

If you really need 300dpi, there is the tektronix 4693dx printer.  Does
300 dpi, auto-dithering, and can be upgraded to postscript.

BASE PRICE? : 7000

-vince

gregmarq@pnet02.cts.com (Greg Marquez) (04/02/89)

        Well, Russ, if you wan't to go whole hog with 300dpi & Color
PostScript support. . .The QMS ColorScript 100 - 68020 @16MHz, 8Megs of
memory, 35 resident Adobe fonts, and a 20 Meg hard drive (for you downloadable
fonts).  It'll set you back a pretty penny, though. . .Rumor has it around
$20,000 (can anyone confirm this).  Tell you what, I'll go "halfers". . .
                                                :-)
     UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!gregmarq
     INET: gregmarq@pnet02.cts.com
FOR REALS: Richard G. Marquez ("Greg")
           Echidna Software               \|//   Echidna - The best little
           3501 Jasmine Avenue #15       _oo //    monotreme money can buy.
           Los Angeles, CA  90034
          'Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
            And when justice is gone, there's always force.
            And when force is gone, there's always Mom.
						- Laurie Anderson