[comp.sys.amiga] control-c doesn't work.

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (04/03/89)

I have discovered, much to my dismay, that xicon and iconx will not pass
control-c to the process.  Initially this was discoved when I tried to start a
demo with an iconx script.  If the demo was run from the cli a control-c would
abort the demo.  However, if it was  launched from an iconx or xicon script the
 control-c would be ignored.  I have also tried this with dir.  Again,
control-c was ignored.

So... My question is.  Does anyone know of an iconx type program that WILL pass
 control-c?  For now, I'm specifying the number of times the demo runs in the
script but I'd rather be able to abort it at any time.

Last note:  Before anyone suggests that I make sure that the window is current
I've already done that.

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |
  ================================================||  .--------.         !    |
"I did notice that at my party people stood in     |  | Edwards|_________+    |
 line to play with the Amiga"-- Jerry Pournelle    | /`--------'             |
                           BYTE, October '88       \__________________________/

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (04/03/89)

In article <12136@louie.udel.EDU> C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>I have discovered, much to my dismay, that xicon and iconx will not pass
>control-c to the process.  Initially this was discoved when I tried to start a
>demo with an iconx script.  If the demo was run from the cli a control-c would
>abort the demo.  However, if it was  launched from an iconx or xicon script the
> control-c would be ignored.  I have also tried this with dir.  Again,
>control-c was ignored.

This posting from December has the answer:
Date: 3 Dec 88 11:48:33 GMT

>In article <1119@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>On the other hand, if I have the following IconX script, everything is
>fine.
>        newcli from walker.exec
>Walker.exec is the same script that IconX was executing directly before.

You have to run NEWCLI in the XICON script to create a window that WILL
respond to Control-C.  XICON creates a process instead of a CLI-process;
the major difference is that CLI-processes respond to Control-C and the
others don't.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms