[comp.sys.amiga] Getting 1.5 MB on a standard 880K floppy without compressio

Gator@cup.portal.com (Walter Thomas Reed) (03/29/89)

>> >What about GCR?

>> It writes the same number of bauds as MFM so no net gain.

>The one Apple uses on the ][ does, maybe, but there are denser GCR codes
>available and they're supposed to be more resistant to noise than MFM and
>RLL.

Well, according to Amiga Disk Drives Inside and Out (by Abacus)
the amiga cannot handle several one bits following each other, so the
recording density is changed to half speed (4ms/bit instead if 2ms.)

Does this mean that GCR is less effecient than MFM and you actually get less
storage?  The book was unclear about that.

Walt

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (04/03/89)

Gator@cup.portal.com (Walter Thomas Reed) wrote:
> Well, according to Amiga Disk Drives Inside and Out (by Abacus)
> the amiga cannot handle several one bits following each other, so the
> recording density is changed to half speed (4ms/bit instead if 2ms.)
>
> Does this mean that GCR is less effecient than MFM and you actually get less
> storage?  The book was unclear about that.

As my original article mentioned, it's a limitation of the oxide on the
floppy.  Given that 4us between one bits on the innermost track of a 90
mm floppy spinning at 300rpm is the minimum, we can translate this into
distance.  Assume the innermost track has a diameter of 50mm, that gives
you 50*Pi mm of track to fit the 0.2s/4us = 50,000 1 bits on to, that gives
you 50*Pi/50,000 mm = Pi um of track per flux change.  Since the 50mm is
only a guess, round it to 3um.

Tha Amiga hardware will let you write consecutive 1 bits at 2us times,
the floppy just won't remember it.

Anyway, yes, the traditional 5/4 GCR (4 bits encoded as 5) format is
less efficient than MFM.  It can fit 4 bits into 20us, while MFM can
fit 5.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor