[comp.sys.amiga] Different Hard Disks on the Bridgeboard

WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) (03/24/89)

Could someone from CBM please tell me if it is possible to use two hard
disks on the Bridgeboard with the following setup:

WD1002A-27X controller
60 meg Miniscribe (3675) 6 heads
30 meg Seatgate (ST238R) 4 heads

Currently, I am unable to use which ever drive is second as it defaults
to the number of heads of the first drive (i.e., if the 1st drive has 6
heads, the second drive thinks it's supposed to have 6 heads, too - and
vice versa).  Is this a problem with ADISK, the partitioning software,
or is this configuration just not supported.  Another netter has indicated
having experienced same problems and solved it by making both drives same
number of heads.

Again, I would appreciate an answer from someone who has been able
to make such a setup work or specifically a response from Commodore.
Calls to CBM customer service have been polite and showed concern
(which is a definite improvement!) but as yet haven't been able to
help.
Thanks,

Bill Farmer
University of Arkansas
WF24741@UAFSYSB Bitnet

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (03/25/89)

In Message <11469@louie.udel.EDU>, WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) writes:

>Could someone from CBM please tell me if it is possible to use two hard
>disks on the Bridgeboard with the following setup:
>
>WD1002A-27X controller
>60 meg Miniscribe (3675) 6 heads
>30 meg Seatgate (ST238R) 4 heads
>
>Currently, I am unable to use which ever drive is second as it defaults
>to the number of heads of the first drive (i.e., if the 1st drive has 6
>heads, the second drive thinks it's supposed to have 6 heads, too - and
>vice versa).  Is this a problem with ADISK, the partitioning software,
>or is this configuration just not supported.  Another netter has indicated
>having experienced same problems and solved it by making both drives same
>number of heads.

   My first question/suggestion is does this same setup work in a true blue
   (or clone)?  Not having any actual hands on with that controller im not
   sure if it is capable of supporting those drives at the same time. My
   suggestions are:

   1> Call the HD controller manufacturer (Western Digital) and see if that
      model is capable of supporting those drives at the same time.

   2> Try the setup in a true blue (or clone) and see if the results are the
      same or different from the BridgeBoard.

   Over the years ive been using BridgeBoard's and SideCar's (yes ive had
   more than 1 of each ;-) ive found no problems with any of the hd/controller
   setups ive tried (limitations but not problems). They included Xebec,
   Western Digital, and others along with Segate, Miniscribe, Control Data,
   and other hd's. Some controllers (the Xebec for example) required that
   both hd's be of the same configuration (# heads, cyls) - im not sure if
   the controller you have is this way or not.

   Good luck and if I can be of any other help drop me some mail....

   Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

randyh@ozvax.WV.TEK.COM (Randy Hendry) (04/05/89)

In article <7620.AA7620@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <11469@louie.udel.EDU>, WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) writes:
>
>>Could someone from CBM please tell me if it is possible to use two hard
>>disks on the Bridgeboard with the following setup:
>>
>>WD1002A-27X controller
>>60 meg Miniscribe (3675) 6 heads
>>30 meg Seatgate (ST238R) 4 heads
>>
>>Currently, I am unable to use which ever drive is second as it defaults
>>to the number of heads of the first drive
>
>   My first question/suggestion is does this same setup work in a true blue
>   (or clone)?  Not having any actual hands on with that controller im not
>   sure if it is capable of supporting those drives at the same time.

I had the exact same problem about a year ago.  My setup is very similar
to Bill's:

        Across the bridge:
	Western Digital controller WD1002A-WX1
                ROM = 62-000094-002 (latest SuperBIOS as of one year ago)
	Drive 1:  Maxtor XT-1105  (918 cyl, 11 heads, ~80MB)
        Drive 2:  Micropolis 1304 (830 cyl,  6 heads, ~40MB)

Note the controller chips are still WD, but it's MFM, not RLL and the disks
are different than Bill's (but they still have *different* number of heads).

Everything (lowlevel, fdisk, adisk, etc) works fine until dpformat:

dpformat drive jh1: name jh1
Format cyl 516.  Retry required cylinder 1.  Hard error cylinder 1.

Using DiskDoctor:
Hard Error Track 1 Surface  6.
Hard Error Track 1 Surface 10.
Hard Error Track 2 Surface  6.

Probably needless to say I had the smaller disk (6 heads) second.  Dpformat
*thinks* it's like the first disk and has 11 heads.  After spending
a couple of weeks on the problem, I gave up and am using the 80M disk
for AmigaDOS and the 40M for MSDOS (which is a big waste since I only use
the bridgeboard for (1) hard disk support, and (2) file transfer from work
via the 360K floppy).  Given this setup everything works fine, so at least
in my case, Dan's suggestion about the controller is not the problem; i.e.
it works as long as I don't try to use both disks from the Amiga side.
It seems it's the Amiga/Janus software that's having a problem so trying
it in a true blue wouldn't help.

Is this a Janus bug?  Is it An incompatability beteen Janus and certain
controllers?  Will it work the Janus 2.0?  Why can't we just use Mount,
MountList, and Format like is done with all the other drives?
--
Randy Hendry		randyh@duoart.wv.tek.com    ...!tektronix!orca!randyh
Tektronix, Inc.		Interactive Technologies Division	(503)685-2399w