[comp.sys.amiga] My 1.4 Wish.

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (04/02/89)

after a frustrating session with amiga basic (I just needed something
to grind stupidly through a equation, so it wan't
a need for C)

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT AMIGA BASIC for 1.4....

a language that complains about the following as a
FOR without Next error is a little F***ed...

j=0
for i = 0 to 0.5 step 0.1
j=j+1
if ((j/2) = (int(j/2))
then
 s = s + (4* (sin(i)/i))
elseif
 s = s + (2*(sin(I)/I))
end if
next i

yes, thats right, amiga basic says that doesn't have a next for the
for loop...
Of course my favourite AmigaBasic message is...
1980323 bytes free in system
25000 bytes free for basic

oh yes, and furthermore,
ITS TOO DAMN SLOW!!!

why not contract microsloth or borland to port either
Quack basic or Turbo Basic
to the amiga???

come on now, its 1 million machines now, we at least deserve
to have Borland creating stuff for our machine.
(heck they made stuff for the MAC when it was barely 400000 units)

How about it someone???

JpC

Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP

Heisenberg might have been here...

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (04/03/89)

In article <8904020420.AA25126@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>after a frustrating session with amiga basic (I just needed something

   (code and other stuff deleted for brevity)(

>why not contract microsloth or borland to port either
>Quack basic or Turbo Basic
>to the amiga???
>

>JpC

>Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP

Try HiSoft BASIC Professional from Michtron.  It is much nicer than AmigaBASIC
yet it is almost entirely compatible with it.  It is also compatible with
QuickBASIC.

HISoft is pretty fast, you can use any editor you like (though the supplied
one is not bad), and it compiles stand-alone programs.  I've not had time
to examine it thoroughly, but I do like what I have seen.

Betty

.....killer!pollux!bjc

In article <8904020420.AA25126@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT AMIGA BASIC for 1.4....

	I think Commodore's pretty much locked into AmigaBASIC from
MicroSoft.  But just in case they aren't...

	Someone check out what is colloquially known as Rocky Mountain
BASIC, put out by Hewlett-Packard for their 68000-based machines.  I used it
extensively a long time ago, at a company far far away.  It's an excellent
BASIC interpreter with excellent manuals, and it runs *fast*.  It ran like
blazes on an 8 MHz 68000.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (04/04/89)

)
)PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT AMIGA BASIC for 1.4....
)
)a language that complains about the following as a
)[flame squashed
)
)j=0
)for i = 0 to 0.5 step 0.1
)j=j+1
)if ((j/2) = (int(j/2))
                       ^
Could this be the prob ^ missing a right paren here I think.
This would give you the symptoms of a missing next statement.

[rest of program deleted]
)next i

)yes, thats right, amiga basic says that doesn't have a next for the
)for loop...

Yeah, so?

)Of course my favourite AmigaBasic message is...
)1980323 bytes free in system
)25000 bytes free for basic

Ok, so it's a little stupid. But it follows the tradition of stupid
products from Microsoft.

I believe that there is a way to enlarge your memory pool, I forget now
though.

)oh yes, and furthermore,
)ITS TOO DAMN SLOW!!!

If you want speed from basic, I suggest you look aftermarket. I know
that there are a few compiled basics available.

)why not contract microsloth or borland to port either
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
If somebody bites your hand off, are you going to trust them with the
other hand? My vote is to dump basic altogether, and to have Commodore
support (or port) some widely available 'C' language (GNU-C would be nice).
I'm dreaming here I know, besides GNU is humgo.

)come on now, its 1 million machines now, we at least deserve
)to have Borland creating stuff for our machine.
)(heck they made stuff for the MAC when it was barely 400000 units)

)How about it someone???

Don't look at me, I got a job.

)Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP

Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprize"

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (04/05/89)

In article <11219@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <8904020420.AA25126@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>>PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT AMIGA BASIC for 1.4....
>>
>	I think Commodore's pretty much locked into AmigaBASIC from
>MicroSoft.  But just in case they aren't...
>
>	Someone check out what is colloquially known as Rocky Mountain
>BASIC, put out by Hewlett-Packard for their 68000-based machines.  I used it
>extensively a long time ago, at a company far far away.  It's an excellent
>BASIC interpreter with excellent manuals, and it runs *fast*.  It ran like
>blazes on an 8 MHz 68000.

Not only that, it has/had extensions which made it nice to use for
data acquisition and lab instrument control (using HPIB [GPIB/IEEE-4888] bus)
and a modicum of real-time features, which might fit in quite nicely with
other recent products for the Amiga (eh, Perry?).  It's losing now to
C, because so many more people are C-literate nowadays, so much of BASIC's
attraction as being useable by non-computerniks is becoming less important,
but for quickie lab tests & measurements it still beats the compile-link-debug
cycle for C.

I wonder if they might be talked into sharing some of the fruits of the
*large* investment they made in its development over the years.  And I
assure you, it's a *large* investment.

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089