[comp.sys.amiga] 1.4 Wishes and 3.5" drive question

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (03/30/89)

My wish for 1.4 is the ability to map out bad blocks on a floppy disk.
I don't think this would be too hard to do since it is done on Hard
Drives, it's just applying it to a smaller device.  My problem is I've
got a batch of sub-standard disks, and I keep getting errors on them,
which is really annoying during a download, since I have to basically
stop it and go find a fresh disk.  This is even more annoying when
you're in the middle of a 400K files...

Now I may have missed this before, but is such a program already
available for use on floppys?  If so, where could I get a copy?  If it
is on a fred fish, just send me the file name and a disk number and
I'll be happy, if it ain't... could you send me a copy?  Thanks for
your help!

John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up
Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john | in the morning?
	 	--Damm the Disclaimers!  Full flame ahead!--

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (03/30/89)

In article <1600@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:

>My wish for 1.4 is the ability to map out bad blocks on a floppy disk.
>I don't think this would be too hard to do since it is done on Hard
>Drives, it's just applying it to a smaller device.  My problem is I've
>got a batch of sub-standard disks, and I keep getting errors on them,
>which is really annoying during a download, since I have to basically
>stop it and go find a fresh disk.  This is even more annoying when
>you're in the middle of a 400K files...
>
>Now I may have missed this before, but is such a program already
>available for use on floppys?  If so, where could I get a copy?  If it
>is on a fred fish, just send me the file name and a disk number and
>I'll be happy, if it ain't... could you send me a copy?  Thanks for
>your help!
>
>John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
>WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up
>Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john | in the morning?
>	 	--Damm the Disclaimers!  Full flame ahead!--

The terse answer is: no.

The verbose answer is that the Amiga reads and writes entire tracks at
a time, not individual sectors (blocks).  If such a program were to
exist, it would have to map out bad tracks.  I think the best solution
is to format the floppy using format or Tom Rokicki's dfc to format
the disks.  If the floppy won't format then don't use it.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for John, but it seems
to be the answer this forum comes up with every time the question is
asked.

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

In article <1600@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
> My wish for 1.4 is the ability to map out bad blocks on a floppy disk.
>   ... My problem is I've got a batch of sub-standard disks, ...

The answer isn't to make it possible to use substandard disks on the Amiga,
the answer is to fork over the extra nickel or dime to get real disks.
You don't ask GM to fix your car so that you can run it on methanol do
you? Do yourself a favor and sell those substandard floppies to someone
else. [I'd guess they are not substandard, rather they are only single sided
and you get hosed trying to write to the back side of them.] You are only
asking for trouble if you continue to use them. The even more insidious
problem will be two weeks from now when you go to read back the data and
it is now unreadable. Save yourself the hassle. Dump these loser disks.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (03/31/89)

In article <1600@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
>   ...  My problem is I've
>got a batch of sub-standard disks, and I keep getting errors on them,
>which is really annoying during a download, since I have to basically
>stop it and go find a fresh disk.  This is even more annoying when
>you're in the middle of a 400K files...

You may have noticed that the FORMAT program that comes with the Amiga
simply writes the formatting info to the disk; it does not verify that
it can read what it just wrote.  I have been using Tom Rokicki's DFC
program that is on Fish Disk #131.  It verifys the disk as it is formated,
so that you can identify bad flopies and throw them out before they cause
you grief.  Downloading onto an unverified floppy is not very smart.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) (04/05/89)

In article <431@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <1600@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
>>   ...  My problem is I've
>>got a batch of sub-standard disks, and I keep getting errors on them,
>>which is really annoying during a download, since I have to basically
>>stop it and go find a fresh disk.  This is even more annoying when
>>you're in the middle of a 400K files...

	There is a program called bformat which formats bad floppies.  I
believe it just marks all the bad blocks as allocated, but I'm not sure.  In
any case, it seems to work ok.

			- Tony Leneis