[comp.sys.amiga] New version of Zoo for the Amiga

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/04/89)

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:

>         b)  it features a much improved compression and decompression routine
>                 utilizing many new tricks I have learned such as using the
>                 upper 8 bits of an address register as a data tag,  and self
>                 modifying code.  The use of move ccr,<ea> also helps.

Aren't using the upper 8 bits of an address register and
self-modifying code complete sins on the 020 and above?

I suspect some Amiga owners with 020 and 030 machines will be most
upset with you.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

	The Amiga 1000 -- Support classic Amiga technology.

page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (04/05/89)

Uh, Brian, I know you told me the version you sent to post was the
only copy since you were going to delete the originals and wait for
the c.s.a/c.b.a postings, but I accidentally deleted the files.  I'm
really sorry about it.  I hope you have a happy April.

..bob

PS To hazy: would a cobol-68 interpreter be OK?  I found one Saturday.
Bob Page    page@sun.com    sun!page    415/336-2745

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (04/05/89)

In article <oYC5gOy00VsfM7rjZD@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
=-jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
=->
=->         b)  it features a much improved compression and decompression routine
=->                 utilizing many new tricks I have learned such as using the
=->                 upper 8 bits of an address register as a data tag,  and self
=->                 modifying code.  The use of move ccr,<ea> also helps.
=-
=-Aren't using the upper 8 bits of an address register and
=-self-modifying code complete sins on the 020 and above?
=-
=-I suspect some Amiga owners with 020 and 030 machines will be most
=-upset with you.
=-
	*Snicker*.  So somebody actually DID fall for it.  Most generous, Mr.
Portuesi, to let Mr. Waters have a laugh at your expense.

/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Valentin Pepelea) (04/05/89)

"J. Brian Waters" <jbwaters@bsu-cs.uucp> writes in message <6465@bsu-cs.UUCP>

> The new release of zoo will be out in a few more days for the Amiga and will
> have some of the following features:
>
>  a) it will preserve the archive bit on all files at extraction
>     (after all if it got into a zoo it must have been archived at one
>     time)
>
>  b)  it features a much improved compression and decompression routine
>      utilizing many new tricks I have learned such as using the
>      upper 8 bits of an address register as a data tag,  and self
>      modifying code.  The use of move ccr,<ea> also helps.

No, no, no, no! You are definitely not allowed to use the upper 8 bits of an
address register to store data. 32-bit systems are using all 32 bits
to access memory. And don't used self-modifying code either, that will not work
on any systems which have an instruction-only chache. In other words, you code
will not work with any 68020 systems, nor 68030 systems which also have a data-
only cache.

> Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

Valentin
"An  operating  system  without         Name:   Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phonet: (613) 233-1821
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

In article <12312@louie.udel.EDU> 451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
[...]

	You know, what really scares me is that none of the people who have
fallen for this silliness have objected to a).  Think about it.