[comp.sys.amiga] LUCAS board help required

hbit@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) (03/24/89)

I need some help from you experts out there in net land. I have built and
installed a LUCAS board on my A1000. The board works fine and does
everything promised. My problem is that I am no longer able to attach any
of my buss peripherals (CLtd controller and Pacific Peripherals expanderII) and
have it work correctly. The system goes through Kickstart fine, displays the
Workbench requestor, but when I insert the disk it attempts to read the first
block of data then GURU's with an 0000000B.xxxxxxxx. Resetting only returns
this same error.
   With help from Brad Fowles (thanks Brad) it appears that the problem has
narrowed down to some sort of buss noise. I currently have the PAL grounding
and the buss terminator in place but those were not enough to make the
problem go away.
   Would one of you kind people who know what you're doing give me some
suggestions as to what I might try to solve this problem. I have tried all
of the normal LUCAS suggestions (changing U9 etc.).
   If any of you 300 LUCAS builders out their have experienced this type of
problem please let me know what you did to solve it.
Thanks for your help.

Henry Bitter

* Pacific Bell  *         (415) 823-2836
San Ramon, Calif.
{ }!pacbell!pbhya!hbit

If I had a disclaimer I wouldn't give it away !

gbuce@pixar.UUCP (George Buce) (03/29/89)

In <24840@pbhya.PacBell.COM> hbit@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Henry Bitter) writes:

>I need some help from you experts out there in net land. I have built and
>installed a LUCAS board on my A1000. The board works fine and does
>everything promised. My problem is that I am no longer able to attach any
>of my buss peripherals (CLtd controller and Pacific Peripherals expanderII) and
>have it work correctly.
>   If any of you 300 LUCAS builders out their have experienced this type of
>problem please let me know what you did to solve it.
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Henry Bitter
>
>* Pacific Bell  *         (415) 823-2836
>San Ramon, Calif.
>{ }!pacbell!pbhya!hbit

I have been toying with the idea for a while and think now is the time.  I've
been attempting to debug a board for quite a few months that is having exactly
the same problems that Henry's LUCAS board exhibits: Standard A1000 works fine,
but periphials are no go.  I know of two boards in this area that are having
the same problems...

I'd like to gather as much information from the users of LUCAS 68020 boards out
in net.land and compile it into a report for net distribution.  If you own a
LUCAS board (or have a friend who owns one but has no uucp access) and feel
inspired, please fill out the enclosed survey and E-mail it back to me.  In
about a month, I'll collate and publish the results...

--------------8<--------clip 'n send------------8<---------------

Amiga type LUCAS is installed in:

Original purchase date of Amiga:

68020 used (note speed and if XC type):

68881 used (note speed and if XC type):

Crystal speed used:

Type of 74xx74 used in U9 (note if hack):

Piggyback 68000 installed?:

Assembler's electrical experience:

Assembly problems while building board:

Periphials or modifications attached:

Success/difficulty with LUCAS board:

Mechanical difficulty with LUCAS board:

Ease of obtaining parts (good sources?):

Additional comments or suggestions:

---snip-----------------8<-------------snip----------------8<-------------

I hope this will be help to new purchasers of the LUCAS board and possibly
helps those of us who are having some sort of problem with the board.

George Buce (8{>

|   George Buce (8{>     | Disclaimer:  Of course I don't represent Pixar.    |
|...!ucbvax!pixar!gbuce  | Discourager: They don't use Amigas...   8{(        |
| Boys and Girls, can you say 64 bit data bus?                                |
| How about $29,000 ?  Sure... I knew you could...                            |

anakin@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Anakin Research) (04/05/89)

>I have been toying with the idea for a while and think now is the time.  I've
>been attempting to debug a board for quite a few months that is having exactly
>the same problems that Henry's LUCAS board exhibits: Standard A1000 works fine,
>but periphials are no go.  I know of two boards in this area that are having
>the same problems...

>I'd like to gather as much information from the users of LUCAS 68020 boards out
>in net.land and compile it into a report for net distribution.  If you own a
>LUCAS board (or have a friend who owns one but has no uucp access) and feel
>inspired, please fill out the enclosed survey and E-mail it back to me.  In
>about a month, I'll collate and publish the results...

        I would like to thank George for taking this chore on, it
has been wonderful to see the way the Amiga community has responded
to LUCAS and its problems. There are people in User Groups in B.C.,
Detroit, and now California who are willing to help those who are
having problems. Those of us who still have 1000's, atleast till GVP
blows us away, will have the fastest Amigas (20 meg) on the block. It
is this type of message which gets me through the long hours of work
on the 32-bit memory board which will also be cheap and public domain.

                                Thanks George
                                        Brad Fowles

anakin@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca