[comp.sys.amiga] help with RexxArpLib "GetFile" function

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (03/30/89)

I have been trying to use RexxArpLib version 2.1, with ARexx version
1.06.  I have encountered the following problem with the RexxArpLib
"GetFile" function (which is supposed to display a filename
requester):

Calling the RexxArpLib "GetFile" function from an ARexx program does
not work at all; the program continues right past the call without
pausing.  After several attempts to call GetFile, selecting a disk
icon on the Workbench causes a guru.

Next, I tried running GOMF 3.0 first, and then attempting to call
GetFile from an ARexx program.  This time, GOMF trapped an error,
displaying the following requester:

	Alert Error Number		$81000001
	User Program Counter		Unknown
	Trap or Exception table was trashed.
	68000 vector at location 	$00000078
	was corrupted with value	$002DCF10

This problem also occurs with RexxArpLib version 2.0.

However, other RexxArpLib functions (such as Request, PostMsg, and
FileList) seem to work properly.

Anyone have any ideas?  (Before anyone asks, I did copy
screenshare.library into libs:.  Otherwise Request and PostMsg
wouldn't have worked either.)

Also, I'm not on BIX.  Can someone please forward this bug report to
Willy Langeveld (the author of RexxArpLib)?  Thanx much!

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/05/89)

In article <47063@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>I have been trying to use RexxArpLib version 2.1, with ARexx version
>1.06.  I have encountered the following problem with the RexxArpLib
>"GetFile" function (which is supposed to display a filename
>requester):

[deleted - essentially it won't work for him]

I use the ARP file requester via RexxArpLib all the time.  Why don't you
post the shortest example that fails for you, including how you invoke
it, etc.

In fact, the line

rx "say getfile()"

should work straight from the command line.  It will print your choice.
It just worked for me.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (04/06/89)

In article <17333@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

> I use the ARP file requester via RexxArpLib all the time.  Why don't you
> post the shortest example that fails for you, including how you invoke
> it, etc.
>
> In fact, the line
>
> rx "say getfile()"
>
> should work straight from the command line.

I just found the bug in RexxArpLib.  Try the command line (from a CLI):

    rx "say getfile(100,100)"

My Arexx program invoked GetFile with screen coordinates that would have
pushed the requester partially off the screen.  Doing that a few times
will cause a guru crash (if GOMF 3.0 isn't employed to intercept it).