[comp.sys.amiga] Can't get AmigaTCP

sitongia@hao.ucar.edu (Leonard Sitongia) (04/05/89)

I've failed to get the AmigaTCP (KA9Q) software working on my Amiga 1000
and would like to ask for help.

On the Amiga side I startup this net-sequence:
	attach asy 0 0 slip sl0 1024 1024 9600
	ip address [128.117.16.7]
	hostname sitongia
	smtp gateway [128.117.16.4]
	route add [128.117.16.4] sl0
	start telnet
	start ftp
	start smtp
	start echo
	start discard
I've given my amiga the Internet address of [128.117.16.7].

On the host side, a Sun-4/280 running SunOS 4.0.1+ uses the STREAMS-based
SLIP implementation from R. Zachariassen, which is a beta release.  There,
I remove the getty from the target serial port (which is on an ALM-II), and
run sliplogin:
	sliplogin 128.117.16.4 128.117.16.7 < /dev/ttyj3 &
The first Internet address is that of the host.

Operationally, the symptoms are that I run telnet from net on the Amiga, it
says that it has done the open and sent a SYN, then nothing happens.  On
the host side, netstat indicates that one or a few packets have been
received from the amiga, but nothing is ever sent to the amiga.

The routing table looks ok on the host, but I've also tried swapping the
Internet addresses on the sliplogin command, just in case.  The routing
table on the Amiga has several entries that are all 0.0.0.0 and a last
entry of 0.117.16.4, like it has truncated the first part of the address to
seven bits.

What am I doing wrong?  Is anyone using a similar configuration, namely
using the STREAMS-based SLIP driver on a Sun-4?

Thanks,

Leonard
-Leonard E. Sitongia    System Programmer		 (303) 497-1509
USPS Mail: High Altitude Observatory P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO  80307
Internet:               sitongia@hao.ucar.edu
SPAN:			NSFGW::"hao.ucar.edu!sitongia"	[NSFGW=9580]

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (04/07/89)

In article <2154@ncar.ucar.edu> sitongia@hao.ucar.edu (Leonard Sitongia) writes:
>On the Amiga side I startup this net-sequence:
>	attach asy 0 0 slip sl0 1024 1024 9600
>	ip address [128.117.16.7]
>	hostname sitongia
>	smtp gateway [128.117.16.4]
>	route add [128.117.16.4] sl0
>	start telnet
>	start ftp
>	start smtp
>	start echo
>	start discard
Ok, here is mine:
	hostname RONSAMIGA
	ipaddr 192.31.192.19
	window 512
	mss 256
	ttl 15
	digipeat on
	attach asy 0 0 slip sl0 256 256 2400
	route add default sl0 192.31.192.1
	start echo
	start discard
	start telnet
	start smtp
	start ftp
Ok, note one immediate difference: the route statement.
I have 'route add default' and you don't. I am not sure where that
leaves your default route, but probably not where you want it.
>On the host side, a Sun-4/280 running SunOS 4.0.1+ uses the STREAMS-based
>SLIP implementation from R. Zachariassen, which is a beta release.  There,
I am using this package successfully here on a 3/280 running 4.0.1
>	sliplogin 128.117.16.4 128.117.16.7 < /dev/ttyj3 &
I think that is right. The local address should be first, the remote
address should be second. You maybe oughtta set up /usr/etc/hosts.slip, then
you don't have to remember. Mine looks like:
	rminnich normal ronssuper ronsamiga 0xffffff00
>Operationally, the symptoms are that I run telnet from net on the Amiga, it
>says that it has done the open and sent a SYN, then nothing happens.  On
>the host side, netstat indicates that one or a few packets have been
>received from the amiga, but nothing is ever sent to the amiga.
Which does look like your sun has no route to the amiga ....
Here is what i had to do once:
set trace ffff or something like that. Look in the source to see the
one that gets you your packets. You can then watch the IP packets come and
go and you ought to be able to see if they look right.
Please come back to this list or to me and let me know how it goes.
ron