[comp.sys.amiga] Automated Home

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (04/06/89)

Not long ago someone mentioned in one of the Amiga groups about some
little gadgets that you hook up to your computer to control lights
and appliances in your house.  The person wanted someone to write
software for the amiga to drive them.  I want to write the software
but first I have to know what the little wiggy-doos are called and
where (preferably in Canada) I can get some of them.

I am writing a program for the Amiga to automate a home.  I am also going
to implement an electronic home security system.  Thus I would like to
know if anyone has any suggestions on parts I can use to detect the
opening of doors and windows, etc.  I was thinking of using the joystick
port and testing for up,down,etc. but this is limited to only a few
doors/windows.

I would also appreciate any comments, suggestions, whatever that people
would like to see in such a system.  Anything at all is welcome

Thank You.
--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/06/89)

In article <1733@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>to implement an electronic home security system.  Thus I would like to
>know if anyone has any suggestions on parts I can use to detect the
>opening of doors and windows, etc. [...]

	You could use magnetic switches, found in most simple home
	security systems.  They consist of a switch imbedded in the wall,
	and a magnet imbedded in the door/window, both aligned so that
	when the opening is shut, the magnet and the switch make contact,
	and close the switch.  When the door/window is opened, the connection
	is broken and the switch is opened.  These should be available from
	a number of different places, you might want to try calling a store
	that sells home security systems and inquire further.

	BTW: You can also purchase other gadgets for home security, such
	as pressure sensitve pads (place them under carpets), motion
	detectors, etc.  How about building a controller which would
	take multiple video inputs, and let you switch (via software on the
	Amiga), which video you were accessing.  Then you could connect the
	video to a genlock and display the image on the Amiga with
	additional information (such as a small map of the house highlighting
	the room you are looking at, the current time, etc.)

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

braun@thumper.bellcore.com (David A. Braun) (04/07/89)

In article <> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>Not long ago someone mentioned in one of the Amiga groups about some
>little gadgets that you hook up to your computer to control lights
>and appliances in your house.  The person wanted someone to write
>software for the amiga to drive them.  I want to write the software
>but first I have to know what the little wiggy-doos are called and
>where (preferably in Canada) I can get some of them.

In the US a company called "X-10 (USA) Inc." makes a whole line of home contol
devices.  There are several other companies (Radio shack, Leviton, Sears, ...)
that OEM X-10 stuff or make compatible widgets.  The whole mess seems to have
come out of  something called "BSR System X-10".  At any rate, the stuff
works over the power lines and is fairly reliable.

For computer control:
	Their CP290 is a small box that will remember up to 256 events for you.
	Their PL513 will let you speak directly to the remote modules but the
		interface is a little awkward.
	Their TW523 is a little more inteligent especially if used with their
		78542 encoding chip.

	X-10 (usa) Inc.
	185a LeGrand Ave.
	Notrhvale, NJ 07647