[comp.sys.amiga] Lamer Exterminator virus caught and being analyzed

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (04/03/89)

I have just recieved a copy of the Lamer Exterminator virus and have
dissassembled it.  It looks as though it will take be the better part
of me free time for the week to figure it out.  To this end, I am
asking the people out there in net.land to send in reports of the
behavior of this virus (if you have seen it) to get a picture of
what this thing is trying to do.

What I know now is:

o It is mostly encoded.
o The encoded part contains two text strings:
	"trackdisk.device"
	"Lamer Exterminator!!!"
o It calls SumKickData, AllocMem, WaitIO and Remove
o It allocates 1k of memory of type (MEMF_CHIP | MEMF_CLEAR)
o It uses the DeviceList of ExecBase and calls FindName to locate the
	trackdisk.device process
o It executes additional code to deal with having KickTagPtr,
	CoolCapture, or ColdCapture non-zero.
o It modifies the KickTagPtr

It looks like the start of a new generation of virus: it is fast RAM
compatible (unlike the ByteBandit) and it co-exists with other code
which survives re-boots (ramdrive.device, for example)

I hope to have a report of its effects and weaknesses by next week.

-ethan
--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/04/89)

Hate to tell you this Ethan, but Steve Tibbet has already figured this virus
out. In fact, it is one of the many viruses that Virus X3.2 checks for and
does away with.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/04/89)

In article <16647@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
}Hate to tell you this Ethan, but Steve Tibbet has already figured this virus
}out. In fact, it is one of the many viruses that Virus X3.2 checks for and
}does away with.
}

How does the numbering work here.  I'm running VirusX 3.10 and its little
window doesn't seem to list that virus [unless it has some funny name].  I
assume that 3.10 is more recent than 3.2, no?

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (04/04/89)

In article <16647@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Hate to tell you this Ethan, but Steve Tibbet has already figured this virus
>out. In fact, it is one of the many viruses that Virus X3.2 checks for and
>does away with.
>
>          - Doug -
>
> Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

OK... so where is VirusX 3.2?  Since I do NOT like feeding the phone company
(any of them) I do not dial up bulletin boards.  I get my software via ftp,
comp.amiga.binaries/sources, and from the prolific Mr. Fred Fish.  If it
has been sent to Bob Page, I will understand; he has his hands full right
now, getting settled in.  If it has not, why hasn't it?

The reason I decided to dissect the virus is because I have seen writeups
in lots of Amiga magazines regarding the SCA and Byte Bandit viruses, but
almost nothing on any others.  If anyone is tearing the others apart, they
are not doing a good job of disseminating the information gained from the
exercise.

I am not suprised that VirusX 3.2 checks for the Lamer Exterminator.  Steve
does an excellent job keeping up with the latest crud.  What I have not seen
are explanations of the symptoms and the effects of *all* the viruses.  I
write articles for the local newsletter, informing the Central Ohio Amiga
Users (through AmIcon) of the effects of viruses, so that they might identify
them earlier, if infected.  Only a handful of our group has access to
comp.sys.amiga, and some of them only have read access (due to the policies
of their employers)  One of the things I put into my articles is a list of
symptoms indicating infection by a particular virus.  Another thing I put
in the articles is the list of back-doors, such as the left mouse button for
the SCA virus, or the keypress trick for the ByteBandit.

Sorry to be long winded, but I felt the need to carve up this beastie
because I did not have access to information on this particular virus.

-ethan
--

page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (04/05/89)

Ethan R. Dicks <erd@cis.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>If it has been sent to Bob Page, I will understand; he has his hands full

I do not have it.

c.s.a/c.b.a postings should re-start this week, sorry about the delay.
I do not have a 'flood' of stuff to post.

..bob
Bob Page    page@sun.com    sun!page    415/336-2745

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (04/05/89)

In article <41582@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Ethan R. Dicks <erd@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Sorry to be long winded, but I felt the need to carve up this beastie
>because I did not have access to information on this particular virus.

I think that there is a definite need not only for virus smashers
but also for a wide circulation of all that is known about new virus
strains such as this one.  Note that I am not asking for a "How to
write a virus" book, I am asking for a solid case book of symptoms,
side effects, back doors and any other useful information for
potential victims.  If you have such information, Ethan, please
post it to this form.

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/07/89)

No. 3.2 is *THE* newest version out! 3.1 was the previous version.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com