[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX: Mac Emulator

22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) (04/03/89)

Does anyone know when AMAX is actually going to hit the streets?
ReadySoft said "March", but it is now almost April, and no distributor seems to
 have it.  :(

dwd@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (david.w.dykstra) (04/04/89)

I don't know when AMAX is going to hit the streets, but could somebody
explain this:

How can it run the Macintosh OS ROMS if the only connection it has to
the CPU is through the external disk drive port?  Are all the proper
processor signals available at that port to be able map ROMS into
the processor address space?  Is there something I'm missing?

- Dave Dykstra
  att!ttrdf!dwd

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (04/04/89)

In article <408@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> dwd@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (david.w.dykstra) writes:

>How can it run the Macintosh OS ROMS if the only connection it has to
>the CPU is through the external disk drive port?  Are all the proper
>processor signals available at that port to be able map ROMS into
>the processor address space?  Is there something I'm missing?

This is just a guess.

I don't think there is any "mapping" of the ROMS occurring.  Instead,
I would imagine that the AMAX box simulates a floppy for the purpose of
supplying the ROM code which is transferred by the AMAX boot code to RAM.

-scott

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (04/05/89)

In article <12133@louie.udel.EDU> 22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) writes:
>Does anyone know when AMAX is actually going to hit the streets?
>ReadySoft said "March", but it is now almost April, and no distributor seems to
> have it.  :(

	I just spoke with them today (Apr 4/89) and they said that they expect
to ship before the end of April.  They're making a few more 'really neat'
mods (don't bother to ask me what they are, my lips are sealed!) :^)

	David B.

gaynor@condor.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e gaynor) (04/05/89)

In article <6495@cbmvax.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
>In article <12133@louie.udel.EDU> 22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) writes:
>>Does anyone know when AMAX is actually going to hit the streets?
>>ReadySoft said "March", but it is now almost April, and no distributor seems to
>> have it.  :(
>

>	I just spoke with them today (Apr 4/89) and they said that they expect
>to ship before the end of April.  They're making a few more 'really neat'
>mods (don't bother to ask me what they are, my lips are sealed!) :^)
>
>	David B.

	My roommate (the one of us that owns an Amiga) has been hot for AMAX
ever since the article in Amiga Plus.  Hell, he's already got the $$ set aside
and a friend who owns a buy/sell computer shop looking for ROMs.  Today he
went into a flurry of distributor dialing, as there was a full-page ad on
page 3 on the new AmigaWorld (just came in today's mail), and a bunch of
distributors had it on their lists - usually as "hot new products" or "Call
for best price".  How well this thing works on his 1000 will affect what
computer I buy (I _must_ have the ability to run Mac programs for work, but
I hate corporate Apple), so I hope it's as good as the hype.

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
| The Ohio State University - Dept. of Philosophy, Dept. of Computer Science |

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (04/05/89)

In article <6495@cbmvax.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
>>In article <12133@louie.udel.EDU> 22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) writes:
>>Does anyone know when AMAX is actually going to hit the streets?
>>ReadySoft said "March", but it is now almost April, and no distributor seems to
>> have it.  :(

>	I just spoke with them today (Apr 4/89) and they said that they expect
>to ship before the end of April.  They're making a few more 'really neat'
>mods (don't bother to ask me what they are, my lips are sealed!) :^)
>
>	David B.

Just read in Info World that Apple is VERY unhappy with the resale
of Mac ROMs.  Article was mainly concerned with mac clones made
from dealers spare parts and also said apple is unsure on how
to handle this problem BUT something is going to be done.  The
warning was aimed primarily at dealers (or so it seemed).

There was also a full color ad in Amiga World complete with
order form.

In article <1841@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

>Just read in Info World that Apple is VERY unhappy with the resale
>of Mac ROMs.  Article was mainly concerned with mac clones made
>from dealers spare parts and also said apple is unsure on how
>to handle this problem BUT something is going to be done.  The
>warning was aimed primarily at dealers (or so it seemed).

	Apple has a standing policy that system ROMs may be used in emulators
and other machines, as long as they are not the current version of the
Macintosh ROMs.  Therefore, 64k and 128k ROMs are fine, (witness Magic Sac
and Spectre for the Atari ST), while the 256k ROMs are a definite no-no,
liable to bring the considerable legal wrath of Apple upon you.

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
| The Ohio State University - Dept. of Philosophy, Dept. of Computer Science |
>>  "I'm sure the wages of sin _are_ death.  But after taxes you're just    <<
>>   left with this tired feeling."     -Paula Poundstone                   <<

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (J.Cisek) (04/05/89)

Can you take a Mac disk and stick it into an Amiga drive  (under  AMAX)?
Probably not, right? How hard would that be to make? I'd like to be able
to use the same disk on both machines  instead  of  having  to  keep  to
copies of everything.
--
  //Another    Julius Andrew Cisek          jac423@leah.albany.edu
\X/ Amiga      Box 199, 325 Western Ave.    jac423@rachel.albany.edu

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (04/05/89)

In article <41710@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> james e gaynor <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
-
-	Apple has a standing policy that system ROMs may be used in emulators
-and other machines, as long as they are not the current version of the
-Macintosh ROMs.  Therefore, 64k and 128k ROMs are fine, (witness Magic Sac
-and Spectre for the Atari ST), while the 256k ROMs are a definite no-no,
-liable to bring the considerable legal wrath of Apple upon you.

	A recent issue of MacWeek showed a picture of a Taiwanese MacClone
called the 'Jonathan.'  The Jonathan was being shown at the West Germany
CEBIT show, with a legal copy of MacROM.  Supposedly the company already
has clones of MacROM ready, waiting clearance from U.S. Customs.  On the
photo, a big sticker in the shape of a tomato covers where the Apple menu
normally is (on the screen)...  I thought that was cute...  8)
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (04/05/89)

in article <408@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, dwd@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (david.w.dykstra) says:
> How can it run the Macintosh OS ROMS if the only connection it has to
> the CPU is through the external disk drive port?  Are all the proper
> processor signals available at that port to be able map ROMS into
> the processor address space?  Is there something I'm missing?

	Legally all that is required is that the Mac OS ROMs be "in" the
computer.  They don't have to be hooked up in a manner that makes them
executable, just in a way that allows them to be read.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/05/89)

In article <1733@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (J.Cisek) writes:

>Can you take a Mac disk and stick it into an Amiga drive  (under  AMAX)?
	Sure, if you are using two 3.5" drives.  I wouldn't recommend
	attempting to insert a 5.25" disk into a 3.5" drive though...

Ok, ok, sorry, couldn't resist.  Actually you can, but you would only be
able to read part of the Macintosh disk.  This is due to the difference
in the way the disk drives operate (The Amiga uses MFM, and the Mac uses
GCR).  What it boils down to is that one type of drive alters it's speed
when accessing different sections of the disk (GCR), so the other drive
(MFM) can only read the data in a specific section.

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (04/07/89)

In article <1733@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (J.Cisek) writes:

>Can you take a Mac disk and stick it into an Amiga drive  (under  AMAX)?

From what I understand, AMAX will come with software which will allow
you to read about 1/3 of a Mac disk in the Amiga drive.  The AMAX box,
plugs into the external floppy port and supplies a pass-thru.  It is
also supposed to provide a connector for a Mac drive.

The new Amiga+Plus Magazine has an in-depth look at AMAX in the May issue.

-scott