[comp.sys.amiga] Star Wars?

jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (03/21/89)

Anyone know the real status of the game "Star Wars" for the Amiga?  The local
dealer says it's not out yet, though some mail order dealers claim it is,
but they "just ran out".

-Jonathan	uunet!jvc!jonathan

chiesa@netcom.UUCP (15) (03/27/89)

In article <472@jvc.UUCP>, jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
> Anyone know the real status of the game "Star Wars" for the Amiga?

I've seen it demonstrated, so I assume it's OUT!

cs250c32@usl-pc.usl.edu (Stelly John B III) (04/03/89)

Broderbund has released it for IBM's but so far no amiga version is out!
I have heard that a beta copy is circulating though.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/07/89)

Star Wars *IS* out for the Amiga. My Amiga dealer has it in stock!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (04/07/89)

In article <249@usl-pc.usl.edu> cs250c32@usl-pc.UUCP (Stelly John B III) writes:
>Broderbund has released it for IBM's but so far no amiga version is out!
>I have heard that a beta copy is circulating though.

Beta copy?  I'll say.  I picked up a copy of this hummer about a week ago at
my local Amiga dealers.  I have three (count 'em, [3]) Amigas, and it did the
same thing one every one of them, namely, it wouldn't boot.  So I decided to
crank around on the disk a little bit and find out what was going on.  Using
QuickCopy, I found tracks 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 were not readable by AmigaDOS.  I
found a file named "TexEd.Backup" in the t directory which had as it's contents
a shell script with a commented title "Starwars Development Environment" and
had instructions for loading several executables and C compiler body parts
into recoverable ram disk (parts is parts).  The :c directory had commands
in it that are not usually distributed with game disks.  I took a close look
at what was going on in the boot, and found that the file "starwars" (doesn't
sound very major, no, huh?) would not load.  I looked at the file header block
(key 893) and found a pointer to the first block, er, ahem, block 2 I believe
it was.  I went to block 2 and found that it had in addition to the proper
header key (893) a sequence number of 59.  Kinda odd to start a file with the
59th block, but gosh, I just work here.  Hey, major hose here, hose-a.  I
hope the poor guy who put this one out recovers.

I don't know how any of this happened, but there are several possibilities:
Either the programmer sent the wrong disk to the distributor or the shrink
wrap warlocks pulled a good one on me, my Amiga dealer, his distributor, or
all three of us.  There is also the possibility that some sort of copy protect
scheme launched its terror on one of the prior handlers of this disk.  I didn't
check to see if the shrink wrap had been violated on this package, but on
Starglider II, the only other game package I got from that dealer that day,
the shrink wrap had been very carefully slit on one edge only (I don't know
how this would allow anyone to get anything out of the package, though, and
the contents seemed complete, and it worked ok).  The shrink wrap was ok on
two other non-game packages that I got from this same dealer on the same day.
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu