[comp.sys.amiga] Death to Portal, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/09/89)

In article <16409@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <14428@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Is it, really?  I just switched to the new BIX rates: $156/year FLAT for BIX
>and $15/month FLAT for Tymnet.  That makes it $28/month for UNLIMITED usage.
>And there are no additional charges because Tymnet is a local call away.
>How does that compare with the other nets in terms of price per month of
>UNLIMITED usage?

Oh thats right, they did implement a new rate structure didn't they.

Oh well.

>Note also that BIX supports YMODEM Batch and ZMODEM.  None of the other nets
>(expect CIS) supports either one.

Expect Harv Laser to jump in any seconf now and say: ``But only PLINK
has WXMODEM whicj is faster''

The current issue of Amiga World has a review (real small) of these
networks.

The completely omitted USENET, which, considering the apparant IQ of
the average author of their letters column, is probably a good thing.

--
  ``The second big surprise was that horse conchs, the biggest, baddest, most
       fearsome univalves in the Atlantic Ocean, like cooked squash.''

richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV