[comp.sys.amiga] Copy Protection Questions

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (04/06/89)

I'm willing to pay for commercial software to overcome the
copy-protection schemes on programs that I have purchased
so as to be able to install them on my hard disk, but not
to pay the money and then find that it won't copy the specific
few programs I need it for.

CONSEQUENTLY . . .

Can anybody out there tell me whether Project D or any other
copy-protection buster, commercial or otherwise, is able to
copy any of the following software which I own and would like
to install on hard disk?:

	Dr. T's KCS (Keyboard Controlled Sequencer) V1.6A
	Dr. T's MT-32 Patch Editor
	MIMETICS SoundScape Pro MIDI Studio
	Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

These are the only programs in my large library of commercial
software which I must either run entirely from floppy (Mavis)
or use the original as a keydisk.

Help? Thanks. E-mail reply is fine unless you think the rest
of the world would like to know.

Lynn D. Newton
Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Az.
lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/07/89)

In article <10665@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:
>Can anybody out there tell me whether Project D or any other
>copy-protection buster, commercial or otherwise, is able to
>copy any of the following software which I own and would like
>to install on hard disk?:
>
>	Dr. T's KCS (Keyboard Controlled Sequencer) V1.6A
>	Dr. T's MT-32 Patch Editor

Of all the software companies out there, I'd have thought Dr. T's to be
professional enough to allow hard disk installation. That's some very
serious music software to be limiting users to floppy use.

Not only that, but I understand that KCS is practically impossible to
use without the manual because of it's sheer size.

What a dissapointment. I was thinking of buying KCS sometime later this
year.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Just another Monkey Boy.          {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (04/08/89)

In article <11435@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>In article <10665@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:
>>Can anybody out there tell me whether Project D or any other
>>copy-protection buster, commercial or otherwise, is able to
>>copy any of the following software which I own and would like
>>to install on hard disk?:
>>
>>	Dr. T's KCS (Keyboard Controlled Sequencer) V1.6A
>>	Dr. T's MT-32 Patch Editor
>
>Of all the software companies out there, I'd have thought Dr. T's to be
>professional enough to allow hard disk installation. That's some very
>serious music software to be limiting users to floppy use.
>
>Not only that, but I understand that KCS is practically impossible to
>use without the manual because of it's sheer size.
>
>What a dissapointment. I was thinking of buying KCS sometime later this
>year.

First of all, I believe you can copy it to hard disk, it's just got a
keydisk type of protection.  Still not good.

At the recent AmiExpo in NYC I had a talk with the head honcho from Dr. T
regarding this very issue.  I basically asked him if there were any chance
we'd ever see an unprotected Dr. T program, since the keydisk protection
was at the time really the only thing keeping me from buying KCS.  He
said basically "No", since the market for such programs was small, and if
only a few hundred copies were pirated he'd feel it in his (and his employees')
wallet, and he knew for sure that it *would* be pirated, etc. etc.

I then asked if, given that, it would be possible to put in some kind of
protection that wouldn't require keeping the floppy around, perhaps a look-up
the-word-in-the-manual kind of thing.  He said no, they had surveyed their
users and found that they prefer the keydisk, since for performing artists
on stage it would be very inconvenient to have to keep the manuals laying
around in case that happened.

Sigh.

Still looking for the right sequencer,
 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock   / att!cord!nsw \ "Actually, it's still 256K, and we  \
| AT&T Bell Labs  /       or       \  fit MultiFinder in there, too."   |
\ Liberty Corner / nsw@cord.att.com \         - jimm, re: Amiga ROMs    /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/09/89)

I won't use a sequencer on stage that needs a key disk for the same
reason that I wouldn't consider using a look-up-a-word-in-the-manual
system.  It is just too easy for something like a 3.5" floppy to
get lost in the shuffle of setting-up or tearing-down on the road.

I don't like dongles either, but at least a dongle can be firmly
attached to the computer to avoid loss.  The Rainbow Technologies
dongle for IBM PCs costs about $26 in 100-lots.  Given the quality
of Dr. T software, most users wouldn't shy away if the product cost
$26 more.

Key disks are a joke anway, I haven't seen one yet that has stood
up to concerted hacking.  Even dongles can be copied.  Back when
Autocad for the IBM PC used dongle protection, clone dongles were
readily available though underground vendors at flea markets.

Bill