[comp.sys.amiga] Phoenix SCSI control on A1000

ellis@mergvax (Craig Ellis) (03/31/89)

     I am asking if anyone has every attached the Phoenix SCSI controller
 on their A1000.  I am using a Quantum S280 80 meg disk which is set
 for device 1.  The Phoenix_format utility sees the drive as unit 2
 and low-level formats the disk fine.  I can mount the drive as
 DH0: with no problem but when a attempt to AMIGA-DOS format, it hangs
 my system.

     Any hints or suggestions would be helpful.

In <5168@mergvax>, ellis@mergvax (Craig Ellis) writes:
>     I am asking if anyone has every attached the Phoenix SCSI controller
> on their A1000.  I am using a Quantum S280 80 meg disk which is set
> for device 1.  The Phoenix_format utility sees the drive as unit 2
> and low-level formats the disk fine.  I can mount the drive as
> DH0: with no problem but when a attempt to AMIGA-DOS format, it hangs
> my system.

>     Any hints or suggestions would be helpful.

What you may be seeing is the difference etween what the SCSI target address
is, and what the Phoenix software is calling a 'unit'. I am not familiar with
the Phoenix product, but perhaps this will help.

If the Phoenix formatting software sees the drive as unit 2, then in all
likelihood it should be mounted as unit 2 in the mountlist entry. The physical
jumpering of the HD does not necessarily map directly to the unit number as
seen by the software.

On the one host adapter I am familiar with, the 2090(a), the first SCSI drive
is always jumpered as SCSI address 0, but is referred to in the mountlist as
'unit 3', because the 2090 itself is unit 0, and the ST506 drives are units 1
and 2.

Hope this helps.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.