[comp.sys.amiga] Possibility for 1.4 please?

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (04/04/89)

How horrible, ibm.device.   What this device would do
is allow the user (me) to read ibm format disks.
I don't even care if you have anything to do Messy DOS
disk layout or not, I just want to do an OpenDevice()
and then read and write to the thing.

What I am looking for is a way to tar (or cpio) files to
the 3.5 inch disk at work (720K) and then read them on
my amiga.   Easier than using UUCP which is what I do now.

This is my request.   Anyone have it?

brian moffet
--
Brian Moffet			{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucscc}!sco!brianm
 -or-				...sco!alar!brian

brian@berner.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (04/05/89)

In article <2501@scolex.sco.COM> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
> [...text deleted...]
>What I am looking for is a way to tar (or cpio) files to
>the 3.5 inch disk at work (720K) and then read them on
>my amiga.   Easier than using UUCP which is what I do now.
>
>Brian Moffet			{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucscc}!sco!brianm
> -or-				...sco!alar!brian

No sweat.  I've been using DOS-2-DOS for some time now, without problems.
I usually grab a chunk of text & binaries off the net via my SCO Xenix box
at the office, use "doscp" to put it onto 720K DOS diskettes, then use
DOS-2-DOS to read the DOS diskettes on the Amiga.

I've had a couple of problems with DOS-2-DOS locking up (but not guruing) when
I boot my A500 under 1.3 (w/o 1.3 ROM's); I'm not sure if this is problem is
about 1.3 or about some other software I also boot up with (a different shell,
CON replacement, etc.).  Booting up on my 1.2 WorkBench sans the extra shell &
CON replacement, etc. works just dandy!

DOS-2-DOS also reads/writes Atari 720K diskettes.  I bought the package for
about $60 here in Toronto, so it should be about $10 anywhere else!  :{)

					- Brian A.

   __                         __	Brian A. Jarvis,
  /  )  ...berner!brian      /  )	Berner & Company Inc.,
 /--<  __  o __.  ____      /--/	Berner Information Inc.
/___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, says "Hi!"

   I own only 1.5% of the company, therefore, I speak for only 1.5% of it.

451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Valentin Pepelea) (04/10/89)

Brian Moffet <brianm@sco.com> writes in Message-ID: <2501@scolex.sco.COM>

> How horrible, ibm.device.   What this device would do
> is allow the user (me) to read ibm format disks.
> I don't even care if you have anything to do Messy DOS
> disk layout or not, I just want to do an OpenDevice()
> and then read and write to the thing.

The German fellows which wrote the shareware MS-DOS utility which copies
files from IBM disks to Amiga disks and vice-versa claim they also have a
handler which accesses IBM formatted disks as if they were Amiga disks. Sound
pretty impressive, eh?

> This is my request.   Anyone have it?

Look at the MS-DOS.ZOO readme file. Youll like what youll read.

> brian moffet

Valentin
"An  operating  system  without         Name:   Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phonet: (613) 233-1821
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA