[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDos 1.3

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/27/88)

Does anybody know if the 1.3 (or possibly 1.4) will support booting
the Amiga from the network?

					-+= SAM =+-

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (10/15/88)

	It's here!

	I just happened to stroll into my favorite Amiga only store to see
a very large pile of 1.3 Enhancer packages.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/18/88)

In article <3399@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
-
-	It's here!
-
-	I just happened to stroll into my favorite Amiga only store to see
-a very large pile of 1.3 Enhancer packages.
-
Pricing ?
1.3 is said to hit Sweden in about 3 weeks, so i wonder how much
it will cost (diskettes + ROM). By multiplying with CPDER (computer
product dollar exchange rate) I could have a guess at our price.

BTW, CPDER is usually 10 - 15 SEK/USD, compared to normal exchange
rate of approx. 6.5 SEK/USD.

drh@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (D. Ryan Hawley) (03/24/89)

I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding problems between
my 50 MB Fuji disk drive Pacific Periphs. controller and the
ASDG 8 MB board (System gurus with board installed, worked o.k.
under 1.2 AmigaDos, seems to be related to FastFilesystems).
Did anyone see any replies?  I must have missed them.  If
you posted a reply, or saved any replies please send them directly
to me.

Many Thanks, David

 I will summarize and post any real solution.

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/30/89)

In article <95522@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> drh@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:
>I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding problems between
>my 50 MB Fuji disk drive Pacific Periphs. controller and the
>ASDG 8 MB board (System gurus with board installed, worked o.k.
>under 1.2 AmigaDos, seems to be related to FastFilesystems).
>Did anyone see any replies?  I must have missed them.  If
>you posted a reply, or saved any replies please send them directly
>to me.

After testing the Overdrive controller here at ASDG, we feel that there
is reason to believe that a timing inconsistancy is present in that disk
controller (the details of which we have discussed in previous messages
on this subject).

The FastFileSystem exacerbates the problem by allowing lengthy transfers
of greater than 512 byte blocks where the OFS always did i/o in 512 byte
clumps. By doing longer transfers, the likelyhood of hitting the timing
gotcha goes up.

Try setting your MaxTransfer value in your mountlist to successively
lower and lower numbers until the problem disappears. If it doesn't
go away give the service department of Pacific Peripherals call for
any pointers they might have. Calling us for assistance will earn a
more detailed answer but with the same bottom line (we are unable
to come up with any change or modification to our board which will
unilaterally cure the problem).

(Clearly, you may perceive this note as being biased since the author
is associated with ASDG. Be that as it may, we are ready to provide
the supporting technical data to any interested parties).

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (04/03/89)

>In article <95522@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> drh@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:
>>I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding problems between
>>my 50 MB Fuji disk drive Pacific Periphs. controller and the
>>ASDG 8 MB board (System gurus with board installed, worked o.k.
>>under 1.2 AmigaDos, seems to be related to FastFilesystems).
>>Did anyone see any replies?  I must have missed them.  If
>>you posted a reply, or saved any replies please send them directly
>>to me.
>
>After testing the Overdrive controller here at ASDG, we feel that there
>is reason to believe that a timing inconsistancy is present in that disk
>controller (the details of which we have discussed in previous messages
>on this subject).
>
>The FastFileSystem exacerbates the problem by allowing lengthy transfers
>of greater than 512 byte blocks where the OFS always did i/o in 512 byte
>clumps. By doing longer transfers, the likelyhood of hitting the timing
>gotcha goes up.

There is in my mind, some question as to whether or not the ASDG boards
should rely on any timing peculiarities of the Amigas.  Everyone wants
to cut corners to keep the chip count, and therefor the cost of their
hardware down, but when those modifications make the hardware very timing
dependent, they should be avoided.  Similarly, P-p's controller should have
left in enough logic not to generate those spurious signals.  That doesn't
mean that the ASDG card is not at fault.  Every add on peripheral should
be robust on input and legal on output.  Accepting obvious timing flaws
(such as not asserting some signal before cycle X) is a design requirement
in a system where multiple vendors will be playing with those signals.

>Try setting your MaxTransfer value in your mountlist to successively
>lower and lower numbers until the problem disappears. If it doesn't
>go away give the service department of Pacific Peripherals call for
>any pointers they might have. Calling us for assistance will earn a
>more detailed answer but with the same bottom line (we are unable
>to come up with any change or modification to our board which will
>unilaterally cure the problem).

Since this negates most of the benefit of using the fast filing system,
it is obviously an insufficient answer.  Two other alternatives might
be to pull some of the memory out of your 8 meg board, or to purchase
one from some other company.  I haven't had any trouble with my A2052
and P-p controller.

>(Clearly, you may perceive this note as being biased since the author
>is associated with ASDG. Be that as it may, we are ready to provide
>the supporting technical data to any interested parties).

Personally I've never heard ASDG admit any fault with any of their
hardware, yet I've never had similar problems with any other memory
boards.  Yes I perceive this note as being a little bit biased.
>--
>                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
>ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
>UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
>CIS:  76004,1765 (what was that about ``giggling teenagers''?)

Not a flame, just an opinion.  The hardware doesn't work together.
Memory boards are easy to find.  I'd stick with the P-p controller.
I'd replace the memory card.

                           -Sullivan Segall

/V\  Sully set the example: to fly without moving.  We shall
 '   learn to soar on wings of thought. And the student will
     surpass the teacher.
To Quote the immortal Socrates: "I drank what?" -Sullivan

Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Sullivan or
         Sullivan@cup.portal.com

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (04/06/89)

In article <16593@cup.portal.com> Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) writes:
>There is in my mind, some question as to whether or not the ASDG boards
>should rely on any timing peculiarities of the Amigas.  Everyone wants
>to cut corners to keep the chip count, and therefor the cost of their

First, ASDG does not cut corners. You refer to chip count...keeping costs
down? Pardon me,  but  noone has ever accused ASDG of having a sparse in-
expensive board before. :-)

>be robust on input and legal on output.  Accepting obvious timing flaws
>(such as not asserting some signal before cycle X) is a design requirement
>in a system where multiple vendors will be playing with those signals.

Let's see...``Accepting obvious timing flaws is a design requirement...''
Don't you have this a little backwards? Didn't you mean something like...
``in a system where multiple vendors will be playing with signals, close
adherence to published specifications is all the more important.''?

In fact, the ASDG memory design *IS* forgiving of bus flaws. So forgiving
in fact that it can work in the 86 pin non-Zorro environment. But not so
forgiving as to allow a DMA access to itself to take place at precisely
the WRONG cycle while the board is otherwise so sure that it cannot be
accessed that it is performing a hidden refresh operation.

(Yes, it's true. Slap a scope on the controller and see if you don't see
it emit data at precisely the wrong time. In fact, put your scope probe
on the clock input to the DMA controller and compare it to the clock
driving the bus. Can you spell ``180 degrees out of phase?'' Sure you can.)

>(such as not asserting some signal before cycle X)

Say buddy...that's what makes the whole circus work. What do you think
a ``cycle'' is? Merely a moment in time provided for the amusement and
possible optional use of the hardware? A ``cycle'' denotes the passage
of time my friend. It signals when a certain activity is and isn't
allowable.

BTW: The same problem is possible to occur between the controller and CHIP
ram with no other boards in the system, though less likely due to the
refresh nature of CHIP ram and its access arbitration. Why doesn't
happen with the Commodore memory board? That design offers completely
hidden refresh (true 0 wait states versus our 0 forced wait states)
and therefore, the memory cycle goes by without that board being ready
for a data access.

>Personally I've never heard ASDG admit any fault with any of their
>hardware, yet I've never had similar problems with any other memory
>boards.

You know, there's a real simple explanation for that. In three years
that our memory design has been out it hasn't gone through a single
mod or revision. Maybe that's because a fault with the design
has yet to be found.

>Not a flame, just an opinion.  The hardware doesn't work together.
>Memory boards are easy to find.  I'd stick with the P-p controller.
>I'd replace the memory card.

Be my guest.

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
CIS:  76004,1765 (what was that about ``giggling teenagers''?)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/08/89)

Point of reference ...

I have an ASDG 8MI (with 2 megs on it) in an B2000 with a 2090A and
the whole system works *perfectly*.  I have FFS on my hard disk and
even run in interlace mode all the time.

As far as I'm concerned ASDG made one helluva fine memory board there.

On the other hand I've looked at Pacific Peripherals equipment in the
past and came away with an impression that *THEY* don't hesitate
to cut corners.

Disclaimer: I am a satisfied customer of ASDG and my mother is a
satisfied customer of P-P.  I am not in any other way related to
either company.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <11450@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>I have an ASDG 8MI (with 2 megs on it) in an B2000 with a 2090A and
>the whole system works *perfectly*.  I have FFS on my hard disk and
>even run in interlace mode all the time.
>As far as I'm concerned ASDG made one helluva fine memory board there.

I can attest the same (I have an A2000, ASDG 8MI, and A2090).  I never had any
problems.  I have tested other ASDG products, and found them always to be
of superior quality and workmanship.  I wish ALL hardware manufactures for
the Amiga had the same high standards as ASDG's.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

murakami@m.cs.uiuc.edu (04/11/89)

>As far as I'm concerned ASDG made one helluva fine memory board there.

I can also testify to the quality of ASDG products AND service.
I bought one of earliest Mini-Racks and memory boards for the A1000,
received software (VD0: Recoverable RAM Disk) and hardware upgrades,
courteous and friendly letters, news of new products, and even a refund!
I now have an A2000, ASDG 8MI/2, GVP hardcard/Conner-3100/Syquest-SQ555
and haven't had any problems with the 8MI.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ASDG product since previous experience
demonstrates their high-quality professional product support -- they will
fix any problems without hassle, and even fix it on their own initiative.

-Gary