[comp.sys.amiga] Networks Charges

In article <14428@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <16830@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Jimm:
>>1) BIX isn't the same as Byte.
>>2) You are wrong: bix is the best Amiga bbs, at least for developers.
>>You've posted this sentiment a couple of times.  Why?
>>WHY? Because I am tired of hearing people complain about Byte, yet doing
>>NOTHING about it! And PLINK *IS* the best. At least for what most folks want.
>
>Most folks != developers.
>
>>And if the developers moved off of BIX then there would be no question at all.
>Ie, there IS a question about it now. Ie. BIX is where you hang out
>if you are a serious developer.
>
>I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it, really?  I just switched to the new BIX rates: $156/year FLAT for BIX
and $15/month FLAT for Tymnet.  That makes it $28/month for UNLIMITED usage.
And there are no additional charges because Tymnet is a local call away.
How does that compare with the other nets in terms of price per month of
UNLIMITED usage?

Note also that BIX supports YMODEM Batch and ZMODEM.  None of the other nets
(expect CIS) supports either one.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

P.S.:
Let's hope this is not the start of the 'war of nets' :-)
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (04/10/89)

In article <16409@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <14428@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Is it, really?  I just switched to the new BIX rates: $156/year FLAT for BIX
>and $15/month FLAT for Tymnet.  That makes it $28/month for UNLIMITED usage.
>And there are no additional charges because Tymnet is a local call away.
>How does that compare with the other nets in terms of price per month of
>UNLIMITED usage?
>
>Note also that BIX supports YMODEM Batch and ZMODEM.  None of the other nets
>(expect CIS) supports either one.
>
>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Not a "war of the nets", but I tend to agree with Richard.

For the ->average person<- who probably isn't a computer scientist, or
aleph-class hacker, PLink has more to offer.  The rate of uploads to
Plink simply is not matched elsewhere (I don't know about GEnie).  The
upload rate to BIX is but a dribble compared to Plink's.  The hourly
rate can be brought to well under $3/hr via PC-Pursuit.  And PLink
offers WXModem, which is about the fastest transfer protocol I've
seen.  None of the other nets support this.

You can log in almost any evening, and there are folks in conference
who'll be anxious to discuss anything you can imagine.  Sysop Harv
Laser is perpetually on-line, and has inordinate patience in helping
tyros figure out how to de-arc files, rename floppies, etc.

I'm not knocking BIX- the CATS gang is all there, JToebes and Lattice
provide _excellent_ compiler support (excellently), and JPournelle is
right there waiting to be flamed.  There are also a wide array of
interesting conferences on some pretty esoteric topics.

Most of the people reading this would probably prefer BIX, but then
you all realise you ain't Joe Q. Averageuser.

-scott

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (04/11/89)

:For the ->average person<- who probably isn't a computer scientist, or
:aleph-class hacker, PLink has more to offer.  The rate of uploads to
:Plink simply is not matched elsewhere (I don't know about GEnie).  The
:upload rate to BIX is but a dribble compared to Plink's.  The hourly
:rate can be brought to well under $3/hr via PC-Pursuit.  And PLink
:offers WXModem, which is about the fastest transfer protocol I've
:seen.  None of the other nets support this.

	I'm still waiting for them to implement DNet  :-) <grin>

				-Matt