[comp.sys.amiga] Glove / New Pointer Device ???

t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) (04/03/89)

  Has anybody else heard of this ???

    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  Supposedly the story goes
  it has 100 switches in it and plugs into a mouse port.  It is a infrared
  device , measuring the distance between your hand and the screen. It even
  can keep track of relative up/down left/right position of your hand. It
  can detect literally _millions_ of positions of hand and fingers.

  and get this...... price only $50.

Just imagine the game potentials.... grabing a ball in mid-air, use a 3-d
 CAD package and move points by grabbing them.

  WOW !!!!!!!

Iain Davidson, formally of Bellingham, WA's BelAmi! Fame

UUCP: {uucp|uw-beaver}!microsof!t-iaind       (How did he move that "t" ???)
BITNET:  microsof!t-iaind@beaver.cs.washington.edu
    for really smart mailers:  t-iaind@microsoft.BITNET or .CSNET or .UUCP
*** Disclaimer: ***
  My employer and fellow employees will (have, has) disclaim anything I say
past, future, or present......  so there !!!!....

brant@alberta.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) (04/03/89)

In article <1211@microsoft.UUCP> t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) writes:

>  Has anybody else heard of this ???
>
>    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
>  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  Supposedly the story goes
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - a simplified data glove
>  it has 100 switches in it and plugs into a mouse port.  It is a infrared
>  device , measuring the distance between your hand and the screen. It even
>  can keep track of relative up/down left/right position of your hand. It
>  can detect literally _millions_ of positions of hand and fingers.
>
>  and get this...... price only $50.
>
>Just imagine the game potentials.... grabing a ball in mid-air, use a 3-d
> CAD package and move points by grabbing them.

I saw a demo of a Nintendo Game Glove today.  It was used in conjunction
with a boxing program (your punches are echoed by the character).
The glove plugs into the standard Nintendo joystick plug.  It is a simple
version of the NASA-Ames data glove.  The hand is tracked but the fingers
are not.  There are extra control buttons on the back of the glove for
added control.  This looks like a winner in game interface design and
would be useful for many general computer applications.
	Does anyone know how the Nintendo joystick port is setup?
I could really use a data glove on the amiga.

	Another game interface was also shown which did not require any
connection to the computer/video game.  It is a sensory pannel which
monitors motion in front of it.  It could be infrared but I got the
impression it was a sonic based motion detector.  It will retail for
about $80 Canadian this Christmas toy season.  I would not mind an amiga
interface to this unit either :-)

-Brant
--
 Brant Coghlan	(career student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (04/03/89)

In article <1211@microsoft.UUCP> t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) writes:
>    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
>  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  Supposedly the story goes
>  it has 100 switches in it and plugs into a mouse port.  It is a infrared
>  device , measuring the distance between your hand and the screen. It even
>  can keep track of relative up/down left/right position of your hand. It
>  can detect literally _millions_ of positions of hand and fingers.
>
>  and get this...... price only $50.
                                 ~~~
   Yeah, right.  An ordinary joystick can run into this price range
and you expect us to believe that we can buy something with a 100
microswitches all cleverly microplexed together with an infrared detector
can sell for $50?  Ordinarily I wouldn't be upset by this kind of
hoaxery so near to April 1, but your article is dated April 3 and
that ain't kosher!

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/04/89)

In article <1211@microsoft.UUCP> t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) writes:

>  Has anybody else heard of this ???
>
>    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
>  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  Supposedly the story goes

	A guy from NASA came here and did a demonstration on Head Mounted
	Display technology that they are working on.  With it they had a
	glove like you mentioned, and were using some software created
	by Warren Robinett (remember the old Atari 2600 game *Adventure*?),
	to move around in a 3D world, using the glove as a controller.  The
	only problem that I've heard about the head mounted display units is
	that you can get terrible headaches, because your eyes are trying
	to focus somewhere off in the distance but the actual image is
	right in front of you.

	Also, read "The Media Lab".  It's about some work that was/is going
	on at MIT.  In it they talk about their version of the glove.

>  and get this...... price only $50.

	This I'll believe when I see it (wear it?).

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (04/04/89)

In article <1143@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>	A guy from NASA came here and did a demonstration on Head Mounted
>	Display technology that they are working on.  With it they had a
>	glove like you mentioned, and were using some software created
>	by Warren Robinett (remember the old Atari 2600 game *Adventure*?),
>	to move around in a 3D world, using the glove as a controller.  The
>	only problem that I've heard about the head mounted display units is
>	that you can get terrible headaches, because your eyes are trying
>	to focus somewhere off in the distance but the actual image is
>	right in front of you.

The VIEW (Virtual Integrated Environment Workstation) project is my main
task here at Ames (I work on the audio side of the project).  The head-
mounted display uses stereo hi-res LCD screens viewed through wide-angle
optics.  A magnetic-field position and orientation sensor (six degrees
of freedom) tracks head position, and this information is used to
manipulate the 3D graphics data world.  A data glove, manufactured by
VPL, and developed in conjunction with the VIEW project, uses fiber
optics to detect joint angles of the fingers, and has an additional
3-space tracker unit like the one on the head-display.

Though I haven't been "in" the system for more than about twenty minutes
at a time, I haven't noticed the headache problem.   Nausea is sometimes
a problem, however.  It's possible to present the user with some pretty
vivid visual cues (flying "upside down," e.g.) that conflict with the
inner ear's idea of what's really going on.

Graphics are driven by an ISG (not a typo) display processor, with some
preprocessing done by the HP840 host.  So what's this got to do with
the Amiga? - Not much.  Just thought you'd like some inside info.

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov | ames!eos!phil)

In article <1211@microsoft.UUCP> t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) writes:
>  Has anybody else heard of this ???

	Yup.

>    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
>  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  [ further description ]

	Sounds a lot like the Power Glove from AGE/Mattel.  Don't expect it
to come out any time soon.  It and Br0derbund's U-Force are tied up in mutual
litigation.  AGE/Mattel will lose.  (Yes, I know something you don't.)

>Just imagine the game potentials.... grabing a ball in mid-air, use a 3-d
> CAD package and move points by grabbing them.

	Gee, why does this sound so familiar????  Tee hee...

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (04/05/89)

In article <1143@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
)	A guy from NASA came here and did a demonstration on Head Mounted
)	Display technology that they are working on.  With it they had a
)	glove like you mentioned, and were using some software  ...

I saw their presentation at Hackers'.  They had (plans for?) the coolest window
system I've ever seen.  The windows were all about you in space, normal to
the radial vector from your face to the window center.  You would turn your
head to see windows behind you, and reach out with the glove and grab one
to move it about or bring it in front of others.

Now THAT'S BANDWIDTH!  I'd like to see Robotroff for that sucker.  Little
gnat flying around like the fly in the video with the Robot Drummer (sorry,
can't attribute the video).

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/05/89)

In article <2188@pembina.UUCP> brant@pembina.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) writes:
>In article <1211@microsoft.UUCP> t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) writes:
>>
>>  Has anybody else heard of this ???
>>
>>    A company (don't remember their name) is making a mouse replacement
>>  "electronic glove" like pointing device.  Supposedly the story goes
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - a simplified data glove
>
>I saw a demo of a Nintendo Game Glove today.  It was used in conjunction
>with a boxing program (your punches are echoed by the character).
>The glove plugs into the standard Nintendo joystick plug.  It is a simple
>version of the NASA-Ames data glove.  The hand is tracked but the fingers

This glove is a descendant of a glove we saw in 1984 when Amiga was just
starting up. Jaron Lanier's VPL (Visual Programming Language) Company was
developing it and had a prototype working on a C64 and was interested in
the Amiga applications way back then. Jaron is the only person I know that
has had his stuff on TWO covers of Scientific American, both regarding
Visual Programming.
   The real sensitive glove that has millimeter resolution is about 10K$
and uses magnetic transducers. The more simple one that he had used ultrasonic
traangulation. Your gensture was sensed with a series of switches in the
fingers of the gloves. Depending on how much you wanted to spend you got
extra degrees of freedon sensing. Like yaw,pitch,etc besides position.
   I've had dream about the ultimate in user interface design for 3d programs
for both cad/graphics/space layout/animation/ for 4 years using this
technology plus some more.......
   Generating stereoscopic displays at 120hz with liquid xtal shutters to get
rock steady 3d ala Tektronics.
   To generate a movement sequence just reach IN, grab the character and move
it where you want it to go.
   To adjust a point on a 3d object reach in and grab it and put where it
needs to be.

Next step, stereophonic sound. A pair of headphones with the proper audio
software can generate the required audio input to augment the visual input.
So not only do you see where things are you here them over there also.

   Now use 4 amiga's driving 4 120hz video projectors, (one for each wall)
set up a booth at Siggraph and charge a dollar for people to walk into
and experience a new world of our own creation. The position and motion
sensors from the VPL technology would inform the computers what the person
was looking at and doing. The computers would then simulate the what they
would see in true stereo vision.
   But maybe a couple of small color crt tubes glued to your eyebalss would
be cheaper but much less dramatic.

Now throw in some feedback sensors in the same suit that the person is
wearing for motion detection. These might be just things that vibrate.
These would be used as extra feedback when actually reaching out and
trying to touch or move something. The little vibrator would vibrate
depending on how close the hand was to the simulated object. One could
kind of feel a sphere that was created with sculpt4d. Push the top in
and feel around the inside.

Or could be things that generate cool or warm touch senses  ;-)

 I think I had this dream about 2 years ago while working on the new programmable
video chips for the Amiga.

If some one makes any money out of this idea I want a life long free pass for me
and 10 friends.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/06/89)

In article <3713@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>I saw their presentation at Hackers'.  They had (plans for?) the coolest window
>system I've ever seen.  The windows were all about you in space, normal to
>the radial vector from your face to the window center.  You would turn your
>head to see windows behind you, and reach out with the glove and grab one
>to move it about or bring it in front of others.

Boy, that would make for one hell of a flight simulator. Have a field
of view about as wide as peripheral vision, and change the picture if
the user turns his head.

Wow! Makes me anxious just thinking about it. Imagine watching a MIG shoot
by and turning your head to follow it. Imagine a one on one or teams game
with players using this gear. Wow.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Just another Monkey Boy.          {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (04/06/89)

In article <698@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
[ enticing fantasy deleted ]
>If some one makes any money out of this idea I want a life long free pass for
>me and 10 friends.

And please give us some advance warning, so we can work on becoming one of
Dale's top 10 friends.

;-)

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (04/07/89)

In article <3713@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:

>Now THAT'S BANDWIDTH!  I'd like to see Robotroff for that sucker.  Little
>gnat flying around like the fly in the video with the Robot Drummer (sorry,
>can't attribute the video).

"Beat Dedication" by Bob Sabiston of the MIT Media Laboratory.

Rendered on Hewlett-Packard equipment (of course ;-)

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (04/07/89)

Now imagine that your HUD is on your helmet, when you see the MIG go flying by.
Bang!, he's dead.  This is the basis for the new Helmet mounted displays that
they make at Kaiser Electronics where I work.  This would have some really cool
commercial applications, like stereo video glasses, no need for a monitor.

krag@portal.cup.com
Kaiser Electronics
"It's al before you right before you eyes"

king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (04/07/89)

In article <11430@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>Boy, that would make for one hell of a flight simulator. Have a field
>of view about as wide as peripheral vision, and change the picture if
>the user turns his head.

CAE Industries in Montreal have developed a helmet mounted display with
integral head tracker for this very purpose. It is, of course, very
expensive at this point in time (>$1M). There remains the problem of visual
lag, due to the processing delay of the head tracker and the scene
computer. This lag can cause severe motion sickness.

re: the glove. How about a glove that uses mercury strain gages? This is a
mature technology that does not require bulky switches and has a linear
output. The gages themselves are inexpensive, light and flexible. Has this
been tried?

--
* Opinions: personal property of Stephen J King, DCIEM Human Factors Division *
* ...!utzoo!dretor!king   or   king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca   or   (416) 635-2402 *

> [Dale Luck talks about Data*suit* with 3D visual interface       ]
> [and possible feedback devices to let you feel your environment. ]

That would make an incredible interactive movie! You could acutally move
among and interact with the 'actors'. Can you imagine a D&D like game?
You in your barbarian Data Suit with DataSword, battling life sized
fire breathing dragons! And great exercise too. No more couch potato
game playing, eh? You have to actually get up and perform! Make sure you
do it in an empty room.

No more would you have to settle for controlling
a little on screen charactor to do your fighting, *YOU* can be the central
charactor!

Move over Holodeck, Here comes the Datasuit!

It boggles the mind.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

hhaller@pnet01.cts.com (Harry Haller) (04/08/89)

I remember the first article on the Data Glove in SciAmer...first thing that
occurred to me was: "Why stop there?  Why not a Data _Suit_ with the same
piezo-electric pressure simulators, then a drysuit over it, then float the
operator in a tank of body temperature water...you see where I'm going?
Joanne, are you getting this?
Harry()

hhaller@pnet01.cts.com (Harry Haller) (04/10/89)

...HUD...stereo video glasses, no need for a monitor.
I published an article two years ago on this type of system.  My thesis was
that the Army would be able to turn out Green Berets is a couple of weeks with
the kind of realistic combat training that would result from having a
warehouse full of articulated punching bags, etc, and a video game scenario
programmed into the system.  In fact, mission training, martial arts, dance,
almost anything involving body movement would be fair prey for this kind of
simulation.  So, when's it going to be available to us dweebs?
()

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (04/11/89)

....Helmet Mounted Displays...
When can we dweebs get this?

Well, if you have a multi-billion dollar military aircraft, and have umpteen
million dollars, contact us.  (But not me!)

Kevin Grotjohn
krag@portal.cup.com
Kaiser Electronics
"It's all before you right before your eyes"

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (04/11/89)

In article <4044@crash.cts.com>, hhaller@pnet01.cts.com (Harry Haller) writes:
> I remember the first article on the Data Glove in SciAmer...first thing that
> occurred to me was: "Why stop there?  Why not a Data _Suit_ with the same
> piezo-electric pressure simulators, then a drysuit over it, then float the
> operator in a tank of body temperature water...you see where I'm going?

It would be OK as an interim technology, though prohibitively expensive for
most.

Lbh'yy fgvyy arrq n arheny vagresnpr gb trg n ernyyl ernyvfgvp oybjwbo...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
--		     |				-- Ford Prefect