[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 vs B2000

KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) (02/09/89)

Hi,

	How can I tell which one my 2000 is? A or B. Mine has Amiga 2000 in
little letters on the system box as opposed to the new ones I've seen with
Amiga 2000 in BIG letters.

	If I do indeed have the first (A right?) kind, is there anything
I can do to it to make it compatable with B, so I can use all the stuff
that fits and works with B. Am I stuck with a dinosaur 2000??? I got it in late
'87 (December I think maybe Jan '88) and the writting on the box is mostly
in German.

	Will all the hardcards/SCSI interface/genlock/whatever cards fit in the
A2000?? Or am I screwed there too?

	If I've got the 68020 in my 2000 (which I don't yet) what would be the
purpose of booting from the 68000???

	Which third party 3 1/2" internal drive is 100% compatable? I've seen
on the net that they aren't all. The dealer down here wants to charge me an
arm and a leg (>$275) for a real live CA drive.

	How is the 1084 different from my 1080?

	Could someone send me a generic or specific patch editor for a CZ-101?
Source included if possible. I trying to learn to do MIDI programming. Are there
any good sources for info in it?

	Do I ask too many questions?

>------------------------------------------------------------------------<
|  		       | Disclaimer:	       |			 |
| Tony Kennedy	       | What I say and what   |      ///                |
|  		       | my employer say are   |     /// AMIGA		 |
|   Setpoint, Inc.     | two different things. | \\\/// The computer     |
|                      | So don't get them     |  \XX/ For the best      |
|                      | confused.             |      of us.             |
| INET : kennedam%wwps%dupont.com@relay.cs.net                           |
>------------------------------------------------------------------------<
| If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,        |
| the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.         |

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/10/89)

in article <8286@louie.udel.EDU>, KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) says:

> 	How can I tell which one my 2000 is? A or B. Mine has Amiga 2000 in
> little letters on the system box as opposed to the new ones I've seen with
> Amiga 2000 in BIG letters.

If you bought it in the USA, it's a "B" (or someone hosed you).  The easiest
way to tell is to look at the phono jacks on the back of the machine.  The
"A" has two, the "B" has three (that extra one is a monochrome video output
that I got basically for free when using the A500 video hybrid).

> 	If I do indeed have the first (A right?) kind, is there anything
> I can do to it to make it compatable with B, so I can use all the stuff
> that fits and works with B. Am I stuck with a dinosaur 2000???

Most stuff works in both.  What doesn't probably can't be easily added,
though with a minor modification to the case, a board swap is possible.  But
I suspect you've got nothing to worry about.

> I got it in late '87 (December I think maybe Jan '88) and the writting on
> the box is mostly in German.

We kept using boxes from Germany long after switching to the US designed
motherboard.

> 	Will all the hardcards/SCSI interface/genlock/whatever cards fit in the
> A2000?? Or am I screwed there too?

As long as 100 pin cards are in spec, they'll work fine on both machines.  All
Genlocks should work similarly.  The B2000 video slot has many more signals,
but the only thing I know of on the market that's currently taking advantage
of that slot is MicroWay's flickerFixer, which won't work on the "A" board.

> 	If I've got the 68020 in my 2000 (which I don't yet) what would be the
> purpose of booting from the 68000???

I put that feature in to allow developers who develop on the 68020 based Amiga
an easy way to test their software on a 68000.  It has the side effect of
allowing you to run software on your machine that doesn't work with the 68000.
I've found a better use for such software -- reformatting the disks it comes
on.  Really, though, there's very little software that can't be used on the
68020.

> 	Do I ask too many questions?

Did I answer enough questions?

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

In <5940@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>As long as 100 pin cards are in spec, they'll work fine on both machines.  All
>Genlocks should work similarly.  The B2000 video slot has many more signals,
>but the only thing I know of on the market that's currently taking advantage
>of that slot is MicroWay's flickerFixer, which won't work on the "A" board.

What Dave says is true, though I do have a flickerFixer running in my A2000. I
had to add 8 wires from the fF to the motherboard, and it looks a little
strange, but it definitely works.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

PBOURKE%IRLEARN.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (P_Bourke) (04/11/89)

I have a German A2000 and would like to know if the internal Genlocks
been advertised now will work on my A2000.

What disadvantages will I suffer having an A2000. The B2000 has an extra video
socket - can this be added to the A2000?