[comp.sys.amiga] Death to Portal

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/09/89)

In article <16830@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Jimm:
>
>1) BIX isn't the same as Byte.
>2) You are wrong: bix is the best Amiga bbs, at least for developers.
>
>You've posted this sentiment a couple of times.  Why?
>
>WHY? Because I am tired of hearing people complain about Byte, yet doing
>NOTHING about it! And PLINK *IS* the best. At least for what most folks want.

Most folks != developers.

>And if the developers moved off of BIX then there would be no question at all.

Ie, there IS a question about it now. Ie. BIX is where you hang out
if you are a serious developer.

I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
and while things may occasionally things get technical, BIX is where
you hang out if you're a serious dewveloper. Period.

8 to 1 Harv never talks to me again.

It's like this:

BIX is for developers
PLINK is where you go to download programs
GENIE is where you go when you cant find PLINK's number
and Compuserve is where Perry can be as commercial as he wants
and not get frapped for it.

And DO tell us how good portal is, while you're at it.

--
  ``The second big surprise was that horse conchs, the biggest, baddest, most
       fearsome univalves in the Atlantic Ocean, like cooked squash.''

richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/10/89)

*Richard Writes...

>>In article <16830@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Jimm:
>
>1) BIX isn't the same as Byte.
>2) You are wrong: bix is the best Amiga bbs, at least for developers.
>
>You've posted this sentiment a couple of times.  Why?
>
>WHY? Because I am tired of hearing people complain about Byte, yet doing
>NOTHING about it! And PLINK *IS* the best. At least for what most folks want.

*Most folks != developers.

Richard, most folks are not developers.

>And if the developers moved off of BIX then there would be no question at all.

*Ie, there IS a question about it now. Ie. BIX is where you hang out
*if you are a serious developer.

*I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
*and while things may occasionally things get technical, BIX is where
*you hang out if you're a serious dewveloper. Period.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^

MMMMMM.... Must be what they call a SERIOUS developer that hangs out on BIX! :>

Besides, a person who's name I don't want to drag into this pointed out to me
that alot of the developers are on PLINK.

*8 to 1 Harv never talks to me again.

I think you are right on this! :>

*It's like this:

*BIX is for developers

Ok, Ok... I know that the developers like BIX. They get access for free, who
would not like it. (That's what I was told anyways) Besides, I understand that
their rates are much more reasonable now.

*PLINK is where you go to download programs

True, they do have a good software library, lots of activity.

*GENIE is where you go when you cant find PLINK's number

This is more accurate than some folks can imagine. :>

*and Compuserve is where Perry can be as commercial as he wants
*and not get frapped for it.

Can't blame Perry for trying! :>

*And DO tell us how good portal is, while you're at it.

Its very good. At least for the folks who can't get free access through their
company or a local site.

> Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

*--
*  ``The second big surprise was that horse conchs, the biggest, baddest, most
*       fearsome univalves in the Atlantic Ocean, like cooked squash.''

*richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GO

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

In article <16943@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Ok, Ok... I know that the developers like BIX. They get access for free, who
						     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>would not like it. (That's what I was told anyways) Besides, I understand that
>their rates are much more reasonable now.

Doug, referring things that you've been told as "truth" without checking them
out makes you as ignorant as the people that told you. Developers PAY
connect and usage fees on BIX IDENTICAL to everybody else.  NOBODY gets
in for free, whether you are a developer or not.  It is simply a fact that
with the new FLAT charges, BIX is definitely very comptetitive with all
the other nets.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (04/11/89)

In article <16943@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>*Richard Writes...
>
>>>In article <16830@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>>Jimm:
>>
>>1) BIX isn't the same as Byte.
>>2) You are wrong: bix is the best Amiga bbs, at least for developers.
>>
>>You've posted this sentiment a couple of times.  Why?
>>
>>WHY? Because I am tired of hearing people complain about Byte, yet doing
>>NOTHING about it! And PLINK *IS* the best. At least for what most folks want.
>
>*Most folks != developers.
>
>Richard, most folks are not developers.
>

>>And if the developers moved off of BIX then there would be no question at all.
>
>*Ie, there IS a question about it now. Ie. BIX is where you hang out
>*if you are a serious developer.
>
>*I'd agree that for Joe Q. Averageuser PLINK is the best value for money
>*and while things may occasionally things get technical, BIX is where
>*you hang out if you're a serious dewveloper. Period.

It seems that BIX may be the best price deal you can get... For $39/quarter you
can get all the BIX you can absorb if you dial direct to Lexington Ma. For $15/
month you get Tymnet at a fixed rate as well. That is one humongous lot of BIX
for not very much $$$.

And BIX != BYTE by a longish shot. Charlie and I are sitting pretty autonomous
from BYTE management these days. (Heck, we're prolly mroe autonomous from BIX
management than either they or we like; but, that is another story. ie I is an
ornery critter and once and awhile (rarely, though) throw my weight around since
the Amiga stuff is just about the biggest thing that BIX has. <giggle>)

Remember: The BEST revenge is to live well inspite of the bastards! I am getting
my revenge on BYTE...

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/11/89)

In article <16943@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>I wrote:
>
>>Most folks != developers.
>
>Richard, most folks are not developers.

Kinda proves it, huh ?

--
       ``Parents who have children, have children who have children''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

Harv@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) (04/11/89)

In some article, Sexton spews forth

[his wit and wisdom on the commercial Amiga-supporting networks based on
the thousands of dollars he's spent using all of them...]

>8 to 1 Harv never talks to me again.

I should bet against myself; I could use the money.

For the potential network customers, check out the May '89 AmigaWorld..
Lou Wallace's "Net Results" article.

Now excuse me, Rich, but I left some Killifish frying on the grill and
it smells like they're done.

--
Harv
Plink: CBM*HARV

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) (04/11/89)

In article <14428@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>And DO tell us how good portal is, while you're at it.
>
>> Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

     I have only two things to say about this:

     1. Denigrating a person's opinions on the basis of what system the
        posting came from is logically equivalent to denigrating their
        opinions on the basis of their skin or eye color.  It's simply not
        a relevant criterion.  What matters is what is said, not who said
        it or where it was said from.  I'm not just referring to this
        posting, but to others where people have been put down because of
        their system of choice.  The phrase "giggling teenagers" comes to
        mind.

     2. If you're going to be rude and insulting, please do it in
        alt.flame.  Comp.sys.amiga* is not the place for personal or
        prejudicial invective.

Dan  "I'm not a teenager, and I _never_ giggle"  Hankins
dan-hankins@cup.portal.com

     Zen is like a man hanging from a branch by his teeth over a great
precipice.  A master asks him, "What is the Buddha?".  If he does not
answer, he fails the test.  If he opens his mouth to answer, he also fails.
      _
-Zen koan

In article <17017@cup.portal.com> dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) writes:

>     2. If you're going to be rude and insulting, please do it in
>        alt.flame.  Comp.sys.amiga* is not the place for personal or
>        prejudicial invective.

                                       //
                                      (/