[comp.sys.amiga] wiconify, was 1.4 wish list

perley@trub.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (04/03/89)

In article <716@ibmpa.UUCP> ericm@ibmpa.UUCP (Eric Murray) writes:

>More 1.4 wish list entries (for Workbench)....

>2.	Add an 'iconify' gadget to CLI windows. I know there's at least one
>	PD one out there, but it stuffs the resulting icon into RAM:....
>	I'd rather see it on the Workbench screen.	Double clicking on the
>	icon would open the window back up.

Try the other one that's out there.  "wiconify" puts a window's icon on
the workbench.  Double clicking reopens it.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/05/89)

In article <13513@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
>In article <716@ibmpa.UUCP> ericm@ibmpa.UUCP (Eric Murray) writes:

>>More 1.4 wish list entries (for Workbench)....

>>2.	Add an 'iconify' gadget to CLI windows. I know there's at least one
>>	PD one out there, but it stuffs the resulting icon into RAM:....

>Try the other one that's out there.  "wiconify" puts a window's icon on
>the workbench.  Double clicking reopens it.

Or even better, "wicon", which uses small windows lined up on the bottom
of your screen.  This way, you don't have to have the workbench up and
running, and the windows can be seen in front of other windows.  (or
not, it's up to you;  they can be backdrop or regular, with or without
front/back gadgets.)  I think it's a wonderful program.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (04/06/89)

In article <13513@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) writes:

> >2.	Add an 'iconify' gadget to CLI windows. I know there's at least one
> >	PD one out there, but it stuffs the resulting icon into RAM:....
> >	I'd rather see it on the Workbench screen.	Double clicking on the
> >	icon would open the window back up.
>
> Try the other one that's out there.  "wiconify" puts a window's icon on
> the workbench.  Double clicking reopens it.

There's also a third one.  Wicon (by Steven Sweeting) lets you either
have iconified windows act as windows, or stick to the Workench
backdrop like real icons.  What's really neat about Wicon is that once
installed, all your windows (on all screens) open and close with a
"rubberbanding" effect similar to windows on the Macintosh.  If you
like this effect (I do), an option is available to disable window
iconification, so you can use Wicon just to get the window
rubberbanding effect.  The only negative thing about Wicon is its
izarre method of invoking iconification (click the right mouse button
when inside the window).

Wicon is on Fred Fish disk # 154.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (04/06/89)

In article <17329@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <13513@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
>>In article <716@ibmpa.UUCP> ericm@ibmpa.UUCP (Eric Murray) writes:
>
>>>More 1.4 wish list entries (for Workbench)....
>
>>>2.	Add an 'iconify' gadget to CLI windows. I know there's at least one
>
>Or even better, "wicon", which uses small windows lined up on the bottom
>of your screen.  This way, you don't have to have the workbench up and

I agree about iconifying CLI windows.  I was struck with an idea, though.
How about being able to iconify whatever you copy to the Clipboard?  This
might be blocks of text or graphics or whatever.  You could have multiple
things sitting around just waiting to be used wherever, whenever you want,
as many times as you want.  Jeez, I shudder to think how easy boilerplate
letters could get :-)

                        -- John W. Lockhart
          jwl@feanor.stanford.edu     BIX: jlockhart

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/12/89)

In article <48190@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>There's also a third one.  Wicon (by Steven Sweeting) lets you either
>have iconified windows act as windows, or stick to the Workench
>backdrop like real icons.  What's really neat about Wicon is that once

>The only negative thing about Wicon is its
>bizarre method of invoking iconification (click the right mouse button
>when inside the window).

I don't find this bizarre at all.  It doesn't interfere with menu
selections, and it doesn't interfere with any programs that use the right
mouse button that I've found.  If you press and release the right mouse
button before either 1) moving the mouse or 2) holding the button longer
than the preferences double-click time, then wicon will iconify the
window.  So, if you want to grab a menu, the mouse will be moving and
there's no problem.  It takes a wee bit of practice to consistantly
press and release the button quickly and without moving the mouse, but I
find a sharp *tap* rather than a normal press works almost every time.

Don't be turned off by this unusual mouse usage before you've tried it.
Wicon is one of my favorite utilities.