[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore64 to Amiga

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/12/89)

In article <1546@blake.acs.washington.edu> mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez) writes:
> [message requesting help in transferring files between C64/Amiga deleted]

	You can hack up a parallel cable to go between the C64 and Amiga,
	(More specifically, the Amiga parallel port and the 64's user port),
	then write some software on both machines to xfer the stuff.  I used
	this system when I was creating a cross development system for the
	C64 (No, I was doing C64 work on the Amiga, not the other way around!).
	If you would like the pin connections, send me some mail and I will
	send them to you.  I would post them here but I dont remember
	all the details.

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) (04/12/89)

in article <1546@blake.acs.washington.edu>, mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez) says:
> Commodore 64 files to the Amiga. Does it work? Would it work with 3.5 inch
> disks that were written to by the Commodore 1581 disk drive (3.5)? Is there
> a simpler (i.e. cheaper) solution? (like a PD program which reads the 1581
> 3.5in disks in the Amiga drive?)

I have seen two products: Disk2Disk, which requires you to have a 5
1/4" Amiga drive hooked up to your Amiga (NOT recommended), or
Access-64, which is slow, crude, and hooks up only to an Amiga 1000.
Both cost more than an RS232 adaptor for the C-64. I suggest getting
the RS232 adaptor for the 64. It's the cheapest way to do it.

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |

mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez) (04/12/89)

I have recently purchased my Amiga 500, and I have a couple of questions
for the net.

(1) I understand that CCS (?) sells a program that allows one to transfer
Commodore 64 files to the Amiga. Does it work? Would it work with 3.5 inch
disks that were written to by the Commodore 1581 disk drive (3.5)? Is there
a simpler (i.e. cheaper) solution? (like a PD program which reads the 1581
3.5in disks in the Amiga drive?) I mostly have text files --- many disks full
of text files. I think that a null modem connection could possibly work, but
I really don't want to fork over for an adaptor for the C=64, since I will
most likely not use the adaptor after I get my files.

(2) Does anyone have a GEOS to IFF converting program (namely for graphics,
of course)? I could hack one out, I guess, if anyone could point me to, or
send me information about how GEOS stores its paint images. ALSO, along
a relate point, what about GEOSFont files? (I designed a font with geoFont,
that I really do not want to re-do manually on the Amiga.)

Any and all help will be appreciated.

BTW, I really LOVE my Ami. But the people here at the University of Washington
have no support for it on campus. Lots of Macs and IBM's though [some kind of
corporate deal] Maybe, Commodore-Amiga could contact the UW................

Michael Martinez
mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu